7th and Final LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

7th and Final LEJOG

Post by puffin »

I've got the OK to go again, but this time my long suffering better half has inexplicably declined to meet me up in Scotland, I gather that the lure of another camping holiday with the midges and two sheepdogs is not as strong as it once was, so I'm getting the sleeper back alone, to go together on a once in a lifetime and long overdue lush holiday to the Rockies soon after I return.
I'm using the same course as the other times, with a few ongoing tweaks (thanks here to Mick) I've found out that I'll cross the half way mark just before going under the M61 on Grimeford Lane WNW of Bolton, so there's a landmark I've never looked for before. Also, I have found that the big climb south of Tebay can be avoided simply by taking the next left turn...seriously, I've never noticed it.

I'm hoping to cycle all the way, in other words cycle from home to the station ,and vice versa at the end. Also, I'm going in early June which is earlier than before, not sure if this will make much difference.

I'm staying at Camelford, Tiverton, Compton Martin (just past Cheddar), Goodriche, Much Wenlock, Bucklow Hill, Slaidburn, Great Salkirk, into Scotland to Yarrow, Kinross, Glenshee, Invershin, Bettyhill the JOG, so two short days at the end. Then I'm heading home on the sleeper, cycle to Marylebone then back to Aylesbury, then back to the village. Starting out, depending what train I can get, I may stop at Portreath on the first night.

The bit I especially look forward to is towards the end after the Crask Inn in the Highlands where its kinda mostly down hill, and you're fit as a butcher's dog by then. Does anyone else have favourite bits?
Paulatic

Re: 7th and Final LEJOG

Post by Paulatic »

Makes me wonder what the definition of 'final' is. :lol:
I recall 6th was final.
I also recall asking before where on Earth is Great Salkirk? Still waiting to find out.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
puffin

Post by puffin »

Sorry for not responding,its a good question. Great Salkirk is CA11 9NA if that helps, its a great pub / B&B called the Highland Drove.
If I keep calling them "Final" it makes it easier to swing it. :D
puffin

Post by puffin »

Its Salkeld, not Salkirk...never knew that, only checked because you asked.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

puffin wrote:Does anyone else have favourite bits?
I had a thread on here asking a similar question some years ago.

I ended up doing a Grand Tour.
I took the train to Edinburgh from Plymouth, stayed overnight, then the train to Inverness.
I then rode across to the west coast, then down though SW Scotland into N England to the east coast, then diagonally to N Wales, then diagonally down to Gloucester, then home to Cornwall.

I figured that doing an End2End was an "end" in itself, and as I'd done JOGLE and then LEJOG and Back, a Grand Tour seemed to light my candle.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. :D
http://my-grand-tour.blogspot.co.uk
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

puffin wrote:Also, I have found that the big climb south of Tebay can be avoided simply by taking the next left turn...seriously, I've never noticed it.

The "big climb" is that the B6257 ?
I presume the lane is NCN 68 (Howgill Lane) and runs from Sedburgh to near Tebay.
Howgills.jpg

If you don't mind me asking - what is your route in that area ? Are you going through Kirby Lonsdale ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:I ended up doing a Grand Tour.
I took the train to Edinburgh from Plymouth, stayed overnight, then the train to Inverness.
I then rode across to the west coast, then down though SW Scotland into N England to the east coast, then diagonally to N Wales, then diagonally down to Gloucester, then home to Cornwall.

I figured that doing an End2End was an "end" in itself, and as I'd done JOGLE and then LEJOG and Back, a Grand Tour seemed to light my candle.

That’s a great read Mick I’d not seen that one before. I guess you had your reasons for Longtown to Grinton via Alston and the Stang. My legs ached just reading it. I was a shepherd on The Stang 40+ yrs ago and know it well.
I’ve cycled from Home to near Whitby a few times and thankfully have always been blessed with a tail wind.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
puffin

Post by puffin »

Hi cycleruk,
Yes to both questions, the lane looks beautiful in your photo.

Here's my route, do you have any thoughts?
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22969258

Best wishes
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

puffin wrote:Its Salkeld, not Salkirk...never knew that, only checked because you asked.

I stayed at little Salkeld on a C2C just up the road from Great Salkeld
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
puffin

Post by puffin »

oldmanonabike wrote:
puffin wrote:Its Salkeld, not Salkirk...never knew that, only checked because you asked.

Its a beautiful part of the world. Last year I waited outside the pub for it to open, joining 2 C2C's. Coming back from JOG we booked a farmhouse near Lazonby and, haphazardly, drove most of the C2C...its very, very hilly, isn't it?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Paulatic wrote:
Mick F wrote:I ended up doing a Grand Tour.

That’s a great read Mick I’d not seen that one before. I guess you had your reasons for Longtown to Grinton via Alston and the Stang. My legs ached just reading it. I was a shepherd on The Stang 40+ yrs ago and know it well.
I’ve cycled from Home to near Whitby a few times and thankfully have always been blessed with a tail wind.
Thanks! :D
I wanted to go through SW Scotland, and I wanted to go to Whitby. It was a matter of picking a challenging and scenic route to get there.

The Stang was awful. Rain and drizzle and cold, and endlessly long. Glad I did it though. Grinton YHA was up in the hills, and the bike shed was a damp and dreary barn, and my Mercian was still dripping wet the next morning.
Mick F. Cornwall
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

puffin wrote:
oldmanonabike wrote:

Its a beautiful part of the world. Last year I waited outside the pub for it to open, joining 2 C2C's. Coming back from JOG we booked a farmhouse near Lazonby and, haphazardly, drove most of the C2C...its very, very hilly, isn't it?

It certainly has hilly bits from little Salkeld over to Alston with a headwind and driving rain wasn't pleasant :D
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Thanks for the link to the Grand Tour I enjoyed reading it
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

oldmanonabike wrote:
puffin wrote:
oldmanonabike wrote:I stayed at little Salkeld on a C2C just up the road from Great Salkeld

It certainly has hilly bits from little Salkeld over Hartstone to Alston with a headwind and driving rain wasn't pleasant :D
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

puffin wrote:Hi cycleruk,
Yes to both questions, the lane looks beautiful in your photo.
Here's my route, do you have any thoughts?
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22969258
Best wishes

Hi, Nothing to add really. The route out of Slaidburn is a bit undulating, as is most of the days route.
There is a nice steady scenic climb from about mile 4.5 to 6 up the side of a valley. The last time I cycled over there it was an eclipse of the sun. Very eerie as we had just started the climb but by the time we reached the crest normal daylight had resumed. Over the top and my mate did 50mph on one of the downs but I chickened out at 45 mph. It's a bit twisty as you will see, and keep an eye out for the sheep.
On the left at mile 10 is the Great Stone. :- http://www.bowlandwalks.co.uk/index.php ... ourstones/ and from here is a 2 mile downhill into Bentham.
There is a cafe somewhere in Bentham but I have never seen it and there are shops if you want provisions.
At mile 16.5 you hit the A65, this is a busy road as it's a main route to the Lakes. It's wide enough at this section but take care.
You turn off the A65 at 18.5 but if you want a brew/butty then stay on the A65 until right turn onto the A683 and Devils Bridge.
Snack bar and toilets :- http://devilsbridgesnacks.com/?Kirkby_L ... Local_Area
There is a parallel route to the A683, on the west side of the river Lune, from Devils Bridge to NCN68 :- https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26826753
Distance is the same but not sure about elevation gain.
Tebay to Orton is a bit of a roller coaster as you will discover and there are 2 cafes in Orton. One attached to the chocolate factory and the other, Orton Scar Cafe, on the exit of the village.The last time I was in the Scar cafe I had Beetroot soup. (an acquired taste. :wink: )
I haven't cycled north from Orton (motorbiked a couple of times) so can't help thereon.

Hope the weather is good for you as it will be a testing day and enjoy the ride.
P.S. What is your previous days route.
You'll never know if you don't try it.