Record attempt scheduled

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
LollyKat

Re: Record attempt scheduled

Post by LollyKat »

I've just found this on the 'About' page of FreeRoute:
This site fits satellite tracker derived positions onto roads to give a better estimate of the route actually taken and it is primarily designed for cycling events where participants are free to plan their own itinerary. The route shown and used for calculations is just an estimate based on the most likely route between each pair of tracking points, and might not correspond to the real world route taken.

I'm not much the wiser, apart from realising my earlier assumption was totally wrong. The best way would seem to compare his arrival time at the checkpoints with the scheduled time - he was 9 minutes late at CP45 but at least he is going downhill now. But the rain won't clear for ages, and with the twists and turns of the route he won't always have a favourable wind.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’m wondering...Does he have to wear a helmet?
I’d be changing it for a woolly hat.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
horizon

Post by horizon »

The next checkpoint is CP46 19:00 so that could be a moment of truth.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PH

Post by PH »

Not looking good, the twitter feed says there's debate if he should be riding
He’s still going but there is serious debate about whether he should be.

I wonder who makes that call?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

LollyKat wrote: ... I'm not much the wiser, apart from realising my earlier assumption was totally wrong. The best way would seem to compare his arrival time at the checkpoints with the scheduled time - he was 9 minutes late at CP45 but at least he is going downhill now. But the rain won't clear for ages, and with the twists and turns of the route he won't always have a favourable wind.

It seems significant to me that not only was he some nine minutes down, but he'd also lost the twelve minutes he was up at the previous checkpoint. There others using twitter who are more in touch. Something like this is never going to be easy; it wouldn't be worth trying if it was easy. At our own more modest levels, most of us have experienced bad patches and I'm hoping he deals with this one.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I think he's had it.
There's no way he can make up the time.

Why he was behind now, when he was so much in front before, means he has a problem.

CP 46 will be the telling point.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:I think he's had it.
There's no way he can make up the time.

Why he was behind now, when he was so much in front before, means he has a problem.

To be clear - he's behind his schedule, but still up on the record, he doesn't have to make up time to take the record.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Well he's passed CP46 19:00 on time so he's made up time and he's still on schedule.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Astonishingly, it seems he passed CP46 at 1864, 6 minutes up on shcedule. The rain should ease off a bit but he's losing the wind assistance. A lot depends on whether they can do something about the neck problem - you have to admire his courage.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

horizon wrote:Well he's passed CP46 19:00 on time so he's made up time and he's still on schedule.

If I'm reading it right, he's six minutes up on schedule at that CP and he's recovered the nine minutes he was down at CP45. Still a long way to go but he's got most of it behind him.

Lollycat beat me to it. You have to admire everything about it, including all the work put in by the support team.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

"He’s made it from Cornwall to the Highlands but he has a neck issue and needs a neck brace to continue. Can anyone lend one for 24 hours? We are on the A9. Thanks!"

I don't think he going to break the record from here, perhaps he's just going for personal reasons. Other tweet looks like he's got a medic going out to see him.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's taken me a long time to work this out, but if you click the box in the top right hand corner of the Free Route track, chose the fourth option - Open Street Map, then zoom right in, it gives all sorts of info including current road speed. You can also link to streetview for a view of the terrain with a scale.
horizon

Post by horizon »

1982john wrote:I don't think he going to break the record from here,

He's got 45 mins to cover the last 15 miles to make it to Inverness on schedule. He's not finished yet unless he's finished.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If anybody knows anybody in Inverness, get them out onto the street to cheer.
horizon

Post by horizon »

thirdcrank wrote:It's taken me a long time to work this out, but if you click the box in the top right hand corner of the Free Route track, chose the fourth option - Open Street Map, then zoom right in, it gives all sorts of info including current road speed. You can also link to streetview for a view of the terrain with a scale.

I think you'll find that the same info comes up by clicking on the little purple reporting points in all the maps.