Record attempt scheduled

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
tatanab

Re: Record attempt scheduled

Post by tatanab »

The utility cyclist wrote:Given Sheriden did 870 miles in total as opposed to the more modern 840, should her time be adjusted to reflect this?
No, because the record is point to point with the rider choosing a route and not a fixed distance ride. These days an example might be that most choose the A38 through Gloucester etc whereas some choose to go through Monmouth. There have also been new bridges etc built since the early days of LeJog which have opened up new routes.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There have been all manner of changes to the road network which affect riders on place-to-place records like the installation of traffic lights, new roundabouts, removal of traffic lights, greater congestion, conversion of trunk routes to motorway, and so on. Shortening the End-to-End route by some 5% has got to be seen as a biggy, but it's only a footnote to history, appreciated by some and forgotten by others.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The utility cyclist wrote:Given Sheriden did 870 miles in total as opposed to the more modern 840, should her time be adjusted to reflect this?

I wouldn't "adjust" anything. But anyone comparing or commenting on the times should be aware of the differences.

Jonathan
24hourmaths

Post by 24hourmaths »

This is a good point, and one I thought about when drawing the graph. Really Eileen's graph shouldn't curve off as dramatically as it does for this reason. One option would be to interpolate her time at 840 miles and use that as a 'finish time' for the purposes of the graph - but then the right hand line parallel to the y-axis (the line x=840) wouldn't provide a comparison of the finish times. I guess it was going to be compromise in one way or another.

I have shown Eileen though and she seemed pretty cool with it ;)

*Incidentally - signpost fans might note that this is post #874 in this thread
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

24hourmaths wrote:

This is a good point, and one I thought about when drawing the graph. Really Eileen's graph shouldn't curve off as dramatically as it does for this reason. One option would be to interpolate her time at 840 miles and use that as a 'finish time' for the purposes of the graph

Maybe a compromise suggestion is to use a dotted line to interpolate the 840 finish and keep the ‘actual’ solid line as the true finish.
Either way, still an astounding achievement for 1954!!
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

24hourmaths wrote:

This is a good point, and one I thought about when drawing the graph. Really Eileen's graph shouldn't curve off as dramatically as it does for this reason. One option would be to interpolate her time at 840 miles and use that as a 'finish time' for the purposes of the graph - but then the right hand line parallel to the y-axis (the line x=840) wouldn't provide a comparison of the finish times. I guess it was going to be compromise in one way or another.

I have shown Eileen though and she seemed pretty cool with it ;)

*Incidentally - signpost fans might note that this is post #874 in this thread

thanks for response, maybe a footnote on the graph to reflect actual distances travelled might be helpful as an additional comparison.

I realise it's E-E and as all things, conditions, terrain and equipment can and does change (and all can have a very significant impact as we found with the year/365 day mile record), so direct comparisons are very difficult between efforts aside from an actual time, but when there's also a significant differential in actual distance covered a small note to mention it would be good for completeness 8)
24hourmaths

Post by 24hourmaths »

An extended conversation with Christina Murray:

https://soundcloud.com/user-971271891-2 ... ina-murray
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

24hourmaths wrote:An extended conversation with Christina Murray:

I've started listening to this but I was interrupted after 15 mins. I plan to listen to the rest. I'm hoping there will be something about what's going on in a rider's head during a long record attempt like the E to E
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I listened to it and was shocked to hear that her brother Keith who was also in the army was excused from all his army duties so he could concentrate on his cycling!
Unbelievable! :evil:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

thirdcrank wrote:

I've started listening to this but I was interrupted after 15 mins. I plan to listen to the rest. I'm hoping there will be something about what's going on in a rider's head during a long record attempt like the E to E

I just want to give up.....
I can't do it... Yes you can....
This hurts so much.....
can't do it... Yes you can....
I just want to give up......
This hurts so much.....
can't do it... Yes you can......
This hurts so much......
I just want to give up, .......... !!!!!

Cheers James
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Her words or yours?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
philvantwo wrote:I listened to it and was shocked to hear that her brother Keith who was also in the army was excused from all his army duties so he could concentrate on his cycling!
Unbelievable! :evil:

When I've spoken to army personnel that I met they all say the same thing, that you are normally supported in doing anything sports wise like this.
I think you have to stop looking at army or forces personnel being supported in these types of things, and just think to yourself your employer is supporting you.
How many employers would support you in something like this allowing you time off paid?
Then you must ask why is it that it's okay if it's taxpayers money?

Old story-
I was on my own trying to trace a track over Moreland and uphill bike and camping gear.
I came across a small figure probably barely 5'2" tall.
I got talking and after a while they said they were Excited about going into the forces.
The main topic of the conversation was hanging out in the pub with her mates and going on lone walks.
They were going into the forces as a lieutenant, and their job would be some sort of secretary to another officer.
They were particularly looking forward to seeing the world.
When I asked how much that cost? They just said I don't know my father is paying for all that.
I wonder if you are ever expected in this situation to find yourself on the front line?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:When I've spoken to army personnel that I met they all say the same thing, that you are normally supported in doing anything sports wise like this.

Not just the army; one of the Underwood brothers was nominally a Crab Air pilot, but allegedly wasn't allowed to fly anything solo as he didn't do enough hours, and I know a couple of people who were excused large chunks of the BRNC course, one to represent the Royal Navy at hockey and the other at canoeing.

Having said that, after years of cuts I'm not sure it's still as much of a thing, and the Underwood episode must've been before 1995 and before Options For Change.

I wonder if you are ever expected in this situation to find yourself on the front line?

Well, they'd still have to do basic training, and I think even in the 'tail' arms there's an expectation (with the possible exception of medical personnel and chaplains) that everyone will be able to pick up a rifle and crack on if it comes to the bit.

We did have a healthcare assistant who was off to join the QAs as a student nurse, and was a bit taken aback when we told her she'd still have to do basic training...
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Jamesh wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

I just want to give up.....
I can't do it... Yes you can....
This hurts so much.....
can't do it... Yes you can....
This hurts so much.....
can't do it... Yes you can......
This hurts so much......
I just want to give up, .......... !!!!!

Cheers James

Mine all mine!

She's amazing to even attempt it along with her fellow record breakers!

Cheers James
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Marcia has started a "blog" about her ride:-
https://mawonavelo.com/2020/09/28/lejog ... FwrR1RBDMw
You'll never know if you don't try it.