Record attempt scheduled

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
fossala

Re: Record attempt scheduled

Post by fossala »

1982john wrote:Noticed he hadn't moved for a while then this tweet happened

Hi everyone, yesterday Ian suffered with heatstroke. He also had a minor crash early on. He's struggled with a bad stomach throughout the night and this morning we've decided, for his safety, to abandon the attempt. We choose to go out but we must come back. More to follow...

That's a shame, I take my hat off to anyone who ever attempts something like this.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Oh well that’s another one over just like a wedding.....
So we’ve Michael Broadwith coming up next and Jasmijn in July for some more dot watching. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

On his way south now. 60odd Kph keeping up with the support car, so therefore he's in it.
:cry: :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Very disappointing for all concerned.
I have the greatest admiration for anyone who undertakes this sort of challenge.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Norman H wrote:Very disappointing for all concerned.
I have the greatest admiration for anyone who undertakes this sort of challenge.
Plus One from me.

I am very disappointed that he failed in the attempt, but it shows you how good the 17year old record was. I had such high hopes - and so did Ian To I'm sure. He must be absolutely devastated, but if he's really keen, he may try again later in the summer.

As an aside to the subject of the weather and its effect on cycling, when I did LEJOG and Back in 2006, The weather wasn't good at all. It rained on and off on the way north, and as I climbed Shap Fell the rain and the westerly wind was awful. I stopped half way up to shelter from the wet blasts coming at me from my left. At the summit, I sheltered behind the monument out of the weather.

After turning south at JOG, the heatwave that had started in the south of England came northwards, and as I came south through Scotland, it was burning hot in my face. When I reached the summit of Shap Fell again, I hid behind the monument out of the sun! :lol: :lol:

Ian was unlucky with the heatwave, but lucky to have a following wind. Maybe in a few weeks if he recovers and the weather is a better bet, he could try again.

I wish him all the best in the world.
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Yes, a tough record to beat but it might be even tougher by the time he decides to give it another go.

Does the record stipulate that it has to be done LEJOG or are there separate records for JOGLE?

We went south to north in May 2010 in the hope of favourable winds. On the whole we were quite lucky until we hit Scotland with north easterly gales for the last two days. On the road between Altnahara and Tongue we were slowly climbing a hill when we rounded a bend to be caught by caught a gust head on which brought us to a complete standstill, only just managed to unclip in time. On the last day heading east across the top we were blown sideways 3 or 4 feet as we passed gaps in the dry stone walls.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

(Never having done either direction) but I'd imagine that to repeat the attempt would not be a massive issue. Planning done, maybe a couple of days off work (compare that to Steven Abraham's effort). Not suggesting it's trivial (still need support crew, etc.) but it's not like vast budgets needed requiring weeks dedicated to the attempt.

(Not trying to belittle the effort but some record attempts are less disruptive than others).

Ian
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Norman H wrote:Does the record stipulate that it has to be done LEJOG or are there separate records for JOGLE?
It can be done either way around, no separate records. e.g in 1959 Dave Duffield rode north to south. By convention records are set south to north because of prevailing winds and also many record holders say that the first 180 miles is the hardest.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Psamathe wrote:still need support crew
Plus official travelling observers and timekeepers and submitting a new schedule and dates to the RRA. Schedule and dates are needed so that spot observers can be arranged along the route. It is not as simple as turn up at LE with a mate in a van, start pocket watch, arrive JoG, check pocket watch. (that is intended to be tongue in cheek).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No it is much simpler now, click on the interweb and anyone/everyone can follow in real time
They even spot when one stops for a moment to answer a Call of Nature :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

tatanab wrote:
Psamathe wrote:still need support crew
Plus official travelling observers and timekeepers and submitting a new schedule and dates to the RRA. Schedule and dates are needed so that spot observers can be arranged along the route. It is not as simple as turn up at LE with a mate in a van, start pocket watch, arrive JoG, check pocket watch. (that is intended to be tongue in cheek).

I appreciate not as simple as "turn-up" when you want but a lot of prep work already done. Observers, etc. - you submit your schedule with adequate notice and they have to do their own planning. Route and timing already created, so just change the dates (maybe tweak a bit based on this experience). Observer notification methods, addresses, etc. all already known about.

I was thinking how different record attempts have different impacts on ones existing life e.g. (apart from training) a 100m sprint attempt and your having coffee 20 mins later compared to Steve Abraham's who has to sort out finances, etc. for 365 days, job "disruption" (i.e. give up working for a year), etc.

Ian
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Psamathe wrote:
I was thinking how different record attempts have different impacts on ones existing life e.g. (apart from training) a 100m sprint attempt and your having coffee 20 mins later compared to Steve Abraham's who has to sort out finances, etc. for 365 days, job "disruption" (i.e. give up working for a year), etc.

Ian

I'd also put some thought to this. 100m record (or other short sprint) can be blighted by one slip of the wheel or wobble. Year record is a huge disruption, so my logic says the Hour Record is the ideal one :D . I'm too old (and was never fast enough anyway), but it would be interesting to see how a cyclist could use speed training to get to the required level.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

fastpedaller wrote:it would be interesting to see how a cyclist could use speed training to get to the required level.
Read all about it - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hour-Michael-H ... 0224075209
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just watched the video of John Woodburn's record ride in 1982 and how the roads are easier these days. Back in those days for instance, John had to ride much of the Old A30 rather than the modern dual carriageway, let alone have to cope with the A74 as it was, plus some of the Old A9.
Not to mention the Old Berridale and Old Dunbeath roads up in the highlands.
I remember all those roads well from back in the 80s, so it fills me with awe how they got on 60 years back! :shock:

The last 60 years of the End-to-End

1958: Dave Keeler – 51hr 9min
1958: Reg Randall – 49hr 58min
1965: Dick Poole – 47hr 46min
1979: Paul Carbutt – 47hr 23min
1982: Mick Coupe – 46hr 39min
1982: John Woodburn – 45hr 3min
1990: Andy Wilkinson – 45hr 2min
2001: Gethin Butler – 44h 4min

Considering Ian To made it to the half-way point in 26hrs ish, he must have had big problems because in 1958 they did better.
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mick F wrote:Just watched the video of John Woodburn's record ride in 1982 and how the roads are easier these days.
Considering Ian To made it to the half-way point in 26hrs ish, he must have had big problems because in 1958 they did better.

Please tell me where i can get the video of John Woodburn's ride ... i'd love to watch it ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.