Record attempt scheduled

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Duracellbunnyonabike

Re: Record attempt scheduled

Post by Duracellbunnyonabike »

1982john wrote:A fascinating read. Much of it seems like post hoc justification for failing - not having a go this is just basic human psychology.

I appreciate you are not having a go but what I wrote is not justification for failure. Failure is ok, important even.
Duracellbunnyonabike

FasterFerret wrote:Interesting, honest review.

Perhaps I am just reading into it what I want to read, but there seems a lot of 'not respecting the record enough' (notice I didn't say disrespecting).

I've said before, clearly she has a talent at TT, good physiology, decent engine. I have massive respect for anyone who has a go at this.

But to expect to be able to crack this as a short-term project is underestimating things (even those fools that did the 'car record' said they took 6 years to plan and execute).

I read in one of the other record write-ups the term 'being hardened' I think that sums up what I was trying to say about 'miles in the legs'.

It's not just physiology, watts and FTP.

There has got to be a lot of experience that people pick-up over a lifetime of riding a bike - I have only had two speed-wobbles in my many years of cycling, one coming off the steep side of the cat and fiddle probably 25 years ago (younger and more stupid) and one coming down the back of the Lect last month, both were terrifying but I handled the second one much better than the first - experience counts. BTW I had my GoPro recording coming over the Lect and I can tell you that whilst it felt like a lifetime the video showed that it lasted seconds. A few more seconds and I would definitely have been spat off. Long speed wobbles are rare, you either catch it or it catches you...

Fair to say a lot of the lessons learned could and probably have been learned along the way (and others) through sheer bike riding experience.

Funny, don't know how I stumbled across it the other day, but found this thread on this forum:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21079

"Ok fine. The exact time is 6 days 17 hours. I train myself and work as a personal trainer so yes I could give advice to lots of people about training gladly.

If you have a look at http://www.benumber1.co.uk and click on the link for Robin Simpson you will see some of the world records I have done to date so I will beat this record this year.
Advice I need is about the journey not the training. I can run, cycle for ages but not any good at map reading."

Some of you will remember commenting on it and giving advice.

These are not easy records, underestimate them and they will bite you hard.

I don’t know you (at least not from forum name) so I am not sure what you want to read into my blog and why. I can assure you though that I have never underestimate or not respected this record enough.

At some point I will date the details of my preparations. You will see plenty of time and thought, mental and physical training etc has gone into it.

Glad to read that somehow a second big speed wobble is easier to deal with. There is hope.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just looking at the weather and rain etc.
http://www.raintoday.co.uk

This is the picture as of NOW. :shock:
He'd be heading into that.
Northern Scotland.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Duracellbunnyonabike wrote:I don’t know you (at least not from forum name) so I am not sure what you want to read into my blog and why. I can assure you though that I have never underestimate or not respected this record enough.
At some point I will date the details of my preparations. You will see plenty of time and thought, mental and physical training etc has gone into it.
Glad to read that somehow a second big speed wobble is easier to deal with. There is hope.

My grand daughter ( 9 ) and i followed your endeavours with great interest, you inspired her to ride whenever she can .... and she does .... We both look forward to your next event.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Duracellbunnyonabike wrote: ... Glad to read that somehow a second big speed wobble is easier to deal with. ...

Dealing with this first, I meant to comment on it when I first read about your problem, if only to publicise the sound advice from CJ which has been mentioned on the forum before.

Not necessarily easy to remember if the bike starts running out of control but the vibrations need to be damped and this can be done by pressing a leg against the top tube of the bike.

Apart from that, I'm pleased to have this opportunity of expressing my admiration for your ride. I commented above somewhere about how you must have been in the slough of despond when you packed having climbed the Pass of Killikrankie, but getting there from Land's End on a bike is a huge achievement, even if it ended in bitter disappointment.

... There is hope.

And I hope that includes the possibility of another attempt, based on the experience of this one, even though I know you have written "Never again."
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Duracellbunnyonabike wrote:

I don’t know you (at least not from forum name) so I am not sure what you want to read into my blog and why. I can assure you though that I have never underestimate or not respected this record enough.

Hi,

I'm glad you stopped by.

If you look through the number of posts on here you will see that there are a lot of people supportive of anyone (including your good self) who has a go at this. It is a strange thing to be sitting up late in the night willing on a dot that represents a person that we don't know, other than through an online blog and a shared love of this strange end2end thing, as it crawls across the screen.

If you scroll back through (and there is a lot of it) this thread you will see a number of us trying to guess what the 'magic formula' is (probably knowing full well that one doesn't exist). You will also see a lot of support for you, Mike and Ian.

So, my working theory is one that I am struggling for a full explanation for is 'miles in the legs', the idea that some form of hardening process occurs over miles and miles and years and years in the saddle - is it mental, is it physical (can the two be separated?!). How much of it is experience? - speed wobbles get easier (?!), nutritional strategies get learned (what works for a 50m doesn't work for a 12 hour doesn't (or does) work for 48 hours), this saddle/wheel/tt bar/tyre combination works that one doesn't, my neck/butt/arms/feet will last or not... Confidence to know that you've been in this dark hole before and you got through it, so you are going to get through this one (and the next one when it appears).

So when I read through your blog (and I'm one of the ones that has read every page of your website) I readily admitted that I was probably just going to get stuck in a loop of confirmation bias - reading into it what I wanted to read - that in order to crack this particular nut, as well as needing a lot stars to align, a lot of miles on the clock are going to be necessary, not necessarily to enhance the engine but to enhance the all-around 'robustness' (for want of a better word/term).

I think that I mentioned in another post that I wish you had 'found your talent' earlier, because (to confirm my bias) if you had had an extra 5, 10, 15 years of cycling all of those miles and little things picked-up along the way might have helped, might have been the difference. Pure supposition of course, but something that is based upon watching a number of other athletes from other endurance sports trying to 'move-up' over the years. And you've got to admit that in the scheme of 'moving-up', this one is right up there?

Anyway, trust me no one on here is out to be disrespectful, least of all me - I wrote about Ian's attempt that 'in failure' he had put in a ride that most people could only dream about, the same is true of yours.

So, stick around and put us right where we are wrong - it was you that did the ride, not us, we just watched the dot - but we did it with a bizarre amount of passion and respect!
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

thirdcrank wrote:Not necessarily easy to remember if the bike starts running out of control but the vibrations need to be damped and this can be done by pressing a leg against the top tube of the bike.

Trust me, this is a lot easier in theory than in practice!
Duracellbunnyonabike

FasterFerret wrote:

Hi,

I'm glad you stopped by.

If you look through the number of posts on here you will see that there are a lot of people supportive of anyone (including your good self) who has a go at this. It is a strange thing to be sitting up late in the night willing on a dot that represents a person that we don't know, other than through an online blog and a shared love of this strange end2end thing, as it crawls across the screen.

If you scroll back through (and there is a lot of it) this thread you will see a number of us trying to guess what the 'magic formula' is (probably knowing full well that one doesn't exist). You will also see a lot of support for you, Mike and Ian.

So, my working theory is one that I am struggling for a full explanation for is 'miles in the legs', the idea that some form of hardening process occurs over miles and miles and years and years in the saddle - is it mental, is it physical (can the two be separated?!). How much of it is experience? - speed wobbles get easier (?!), nutritional strategies get learned (what works for a 50m doesn't work for a 12 hour doesn't (or does) work for 48 hours), this saddle/wheel/tt bar/tyre combination works that one doesn't, my neck/butt/arms/feet will last or not... Confidence to know that you've been in this dark hole before and you got through it, so you are going to get through this one (and the next one when it appears).

So when I read through your blog (and I'm one of the ones that has read every page of your website) I readily admitted that I was probably just going to get stuck in a loop of confirmation bias - reading into it what I wanted to read - that in order to crack this particular nut, as well as needing a lot stars to align, a lot of miles on the clock are going to be necessary, not necessarily to enhance the engine but to enhance the all-around 'robustness' (for want of a better word/term).

I think that I mentioned in another post that I wish you had 'found your talent' earlier, because (to confirm my bias) if you had had an extra 5, 10, 15 years of cycling all of those miles and little things picked-up along the way might have helped, might have been the difference. Pure supposition of course, but something that is based upon watching a number of other athletes from other endurance sports trying to 'move-up' over the years. And you've got to admit that in the scheme of 'moving-up', this one is right up there?

Anyway, trust me no one on here is out to be disrespectful, least of all me - I wrote about Ian's attempt that 'in failure' he had put in a ride that most people could only dream about, the same is true of yours.

So, stick around and put us right where we are wrong - it was you that did the ride, not us, we just watched the dot - but we did it with a bizarre amount of passion and respect!

Thank you for your reply :-)

I don't think there is a magic formula, but as alluded to in my blog, I have skipped forward by about 10 pages of A4 with details of how I went about all my preparations and reflections on what worked, what didn't work and what would be ideal (acknowledging that the ideal situation doesn't exist for anyone as much as you try to create it). So one can theorise about it, but to really know how it would work out for you, there is only one way to find out ...

I also wish I had taken up this sport much earlier. Growing up in the Netherlands I never even knew what cross wind was (you don't feel it on the heavy Dutch bikes) or a speed wobble for that matter (we have no real hills). Then again, if I had found cycling earlier in life, I wouldn't have done all the other things I have done in the past and missed out on other experiences.

I am extremely grateful for all the support and agree that following a dot can be mesmerising. I think part of the fascination is because following a dot on the map allows you to piece together your own story around its movements (combined with whatever you can find on social media). I try to follow people in TCR, TABR, and on around-the-world record attempts in the same way. I hope to become that dot one day.
horizon

Post by horizon »

So far, I have stopped for a total of eight hours and have slept for about five or six of those. But it’s a little bit strange, because tiredness is not a problem. It’s more a question of loneliness and it’s quite scary riding down dark country roads on your own at 1 o’clock in the morning.
“One thing that could stop me finishing is the soreness, but we’ll have to see how things go

From the linked thread to Bob Simpson. So there's more to this long distance thing than meets the eye.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Thank you for your reply :-)

Next time you ride H10/8 feel free to punch me... after you have taken at least a couple of minutes out of me... :)
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Looks like another record is about to be smashed

Pembroke to Great Yarmouth
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

1982john wrote:Looks like another record is about to be smashed

Pembroke to Great Yarmouth

viewtopic.php?p=1278941#p1278941
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Spotted this. Thought I would share it.

Close to Tring, which is near Aylesbury.

WhatsApp+Image+2018-10-12+at+21.29.32.jpeg
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Paulatic

Re: Record attempt scheduled 2019

Post by Paulatic »

2019 and here we go again :D
Ian To thinks he can beat last years record it’ll be interesting to see.
060C3251-7CA2-42D2-A7D1-061371301120.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info