Record attempt scheduled

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
FasterFerret

Re: Record attempt scheduled

Post by FasterFerret »

I think this is how much he was aiming to be ahead of MB (actual record run times) at the key checkpoints from here on in:

Warrington 00:29
Wigan 00:30
Preston 00:25
Lancaster 01:01
Shap 00:37
Penrith 00:24
Carlisle 00:25
Gretna 00:41
Abingdon 00:30
Forth Bridge 00:37
Perth 01:17
Dalwhinnie  01:42
Inverness 00:43
Tain 01:13
Helmsdale 00:32
Wick 01:44
Jon O’Groats 01:25

Obviously, that's a 42-hour schedule
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

I really should go to bed...

18hours in, he is at the same place that MB was when he was 16:47 in. So he seems to be 1:13 behind MB actual.

I still think this is as much about how much speed can be maintained over the last 300 miles.
Thetos

Post by Thetos »

I am Ian's wife. Not sure about the graph information but he is on schedule and all is well for now !! Hopefully it continues :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi Thetos and good morning! :D

Ian's not moved for two hours just south of Penrith on the A6, and the support car is going south on the M6 at present whizzing along past Preston.

What's going on?
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

04:36 LEJOG44 world record attempt aborted. Ian, all support crew and observers are safe and well.
With deteriorating favourable conditions, deep fatigue and an ever increasing gap to… https://t.co/ZZPtcHGysi
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Paulatic

Thanks for the link. A sad end to a courageous ride. 0430 after riding over Shap Fell must be one of the loneliest places on the planet.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The final graph confirms what we were thinking last night.
23B052E1-D9A7-4201-A063-CFCF2AC4E0A5.jpeg

I learnt from following Hoppo's attempts years ago on Twitter those who support and are involved with the rider remain stoically optimistic. Chapeau
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Paulatic wrote:04:36 LEJOG44 world record attempt aborted. Ian, all support crew and observers are safe and well.
With deteriorating favourable conditions, deep fatigue and an ever increasing gap to… https://t.co/ZZPtcHGysi

Yes, real shame.

Underlines the quality of previous attempts and the record holders.

Amazes me that even a 'failed' attempt gets further in 24 hours than most people would in 4-6 days.
PH

Post by PH »

I can only imagine the personal disappointment of all those involved, what a great effort and a shame it wasn't to be.
From a dot watchers perspective, excellent entertainment, though I'm sort of glad MB gets the record. If this one had succeeded before MBs was acknowledged would it have disappeared? Something similar happened to James Bowthorpe's RtW record that never was, when Vin Cox beat it before it was ratified.
Maybe the E2E is one for maths teachers only. Maybe the different backgrounds and disciplines of the riders makes a difference, top level time trials seem clinical compared to ultra distance racing.
Wonder who's next to step up and have a go?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Yes. Land's End to north of Shap Fell in under 24 hours is a huge achievement, surpassed only by getting to John O' Groats in under two days. A typical cyclist would take several days but most people couldn't ride to the end of the street without discomfort.

Re stoic optimism, you must need that by the bucketload to contemplate a ride like this.

If I can make a plea to any future riders and their support teams, please, pretty please, keep us informed of progress. We are on your side and it's a lack of info about progress that brings out the pessimism. Anybody with any experience of cycling appreciates the challenges you face.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The records that athletes break pales into insignificance when compare to riding End2End in less than 48hrs.
The preparation and work involved is far more than running round a track or running a marathon.

Also, you have to battle against traffic, junctions, hills, trunk roads, sun, rain and wind ............. all luck or bad luck, let alone staying awake and on top form for two days and two nights.

Damned hard work, and my hat is off to them all.
Mick F. Cornwall
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Mick F wrote:The records that athletes break pales into insignificance when compare to riding End2End in less than 48hrs.
The preparation and work involved is far more than running round a track or running a marathon.

The event itself is far more taxing than e.g. a marathon simply because it takes much longer, but that really isn't true of the preparation. Do you think the boy that broke the marathon record at the weekend just decided to do a marathon, turned up and there it was done?

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A marathon runner needs to run. That's all. Their route for their races is a set route on closed roads and tracks. It's all over with in a few short hours. This is not to belittle the feat at all.

Ian To and all the others have to have a back-up team, a decent efficient independent route, a bike plus spares and probably another bike, an observation team, 48hrs of good weather, lots and lots of luck, plus needs a fall-back route if the way is blocked. The arrangements, choreography and costs of the whole trip is monumental just for one person to ride.

THAT is the preparation.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:A marathon runner needs to run. That's all. Their route for their races is a set route on closed roads and tracks. It's all over with in a few short hours. This is not to belittle the feat at all.

Don't know why you'd choose a marathon to make the comparison, a group race rather than a record. Running has it's own distance records, including the E2E which has stood since 2001, I dot watched the attempt on it last month
https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/gb-ultra ... rld-record
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This is what I said.
Mick F wrote:The records that athletes break pales into insignificance when compare to riding End2End in less than 48hrs.

It was Pete who picked on the "marathon" bit.
Mick F. Cornwall