Record attempt scheduled

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
rjb

Re: Record attempt scheduled

Post by rjb »

What an achievement. Great ride. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Fantastic achievement, makes you proud to be British, sing Rule Britannia and God Save the Queen .... HUZZAH !!

Top chap ... such effort.

We're off on our LEJOG in 6 days time ... somewhat longer (14 days) and still discussing how many support vehicles we need ... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

Fantastic achievement.
Considering I have planned 2 days to drive back from JoG to Corby and 1 day to drive to LE, it gives some context to how special his time is.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

landsurfer wrote: .........still discussing how many support vehicles we need ... :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
1982john

Post by 1982john »

He can hold his head up high.... oh wait

Given how much trouble he had with the rain and temperature in Scotland I think a few racers will have been watching and thinking there is a faster time out there.

However, given how lucky you would need to be for the perfect conditions, I think this will stand for a few years at least.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

landsurfer wrote:Fantastic achievement, makes you proud to be British, sing Rule Britannia and God Save the Queen .... HUZZAH !!

We're off on our LEJOG in 6 days time ... somewhat longer (14 days) and still discussing how many support vehicles we need ... :)

If it helps the maths Mike had two transits and a campervan that I witnessed. Plus an army lining the route shouting encouragement, have you got them organised?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
horizon

Post by horizon »

When I went to bed (at about 1.30 am) he hadn't quite arrived at CP51 and was unable to hold his head up so it really was touch and go to the end. He was also slowing down (even on the downhills) as a result so it wasn't in the bag even if he had kept going. So pretty amazing.

Question: does anyone know what breaks he had (no, not Shimano :wink: )? Not the "medical" stops but the actual scheduled ones - how frequent, how long, where (e.g. in the campervan). He didn't seem to take any at all.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
1982john

Post by 1982john »

horizon wrote:When I went to bed (at about 1.30 am) he hadn't quite arrived at CP51 and was unable to hold his head up so it really was touch and go to the end. He was also slowing down (even on the downhills) as a result so it wasn't in the bag even if he had kept going. So pretty amazing.

Question: does anyone know what breaks he had (no, not Shimano :wink: )? Not the "medical" stops but the actual scheduled ones - how frequent, how long, where (e.g. in the campervan). He didn't seem to take any at all.

I couldn't tell you how many but he did have schedules pit stops at about 9pm both days. And probably ones in the morning. This was for food, change clothes, massages and bike maintenance.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Thanks for that. That's only two then really, maybe four. God knows how he did it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

horizon wrote:... God knows how he did it.

Not being a fair-weather cyclist played a big part.

I suppose it's natural that a new record has people wondering how long it will last. I think the record for the short-lived End-to-End record was Dave Keeler's which was broken by Reg Randall after something like three weeks. (Relying on memory, here, not google.)

It's a place-to-place record rather than a fixed distance so road "improvements" play a big part. Clipping 30 odd miles off has certainly helped recent attempts. I don't know if any more are in the pipeline but this can gp either way. It would only need cyclists to be banned from a longish stretch of main road and to be required to use some Mickey Mouse, round-the-houses or dirt track cycle route to put future attempts at a real disadvantage. This is psychological as well as a physical handicap because a rider can so easily begin to dwell on the unfairness of it all.

Then, I get the impression that while standards of rider preparation, training, equipment and communication etc are always improving, I suspect the pool of long-distance time trial riders is shrinking.

A faster ride is obviously feasible as demonstrated by the problems overcome in setting this record: dry weather and a tailwind might easily have lopped a couple of hours off.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Paulatic wrote: Plus an army lining the route shouting encouragement, have you got them organised?

Having a few issues recruiting the army at the moment, :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Norman H wrote:What great news to wake up to.

Fantastic effort.

+1. I found the whole attempt gripping and was willing him on through all the second-day problems. Now I need to go and do all the things I neglected yesterday because I kept logging on to see how he was doing!
bikerta

Post by bikerta »

Brilliant achievement. It took me 3 weeks when I did JOGLE. I watched his progress from about 100 miles out and found I was totally addicted to watching the new dots appear and the target getting ever closer. In the end I just had to stay up and see it through to the finish. Unbelievable that anyone can sit on a bike for that amount of time and to keep up the speed required throughout despite dreadful weather conditions. He certainly has my respect.
NEvans

Post by NEvans »

landsurfer wrote:Fantastic achievement, makes you proud to be British, sing Rule Britannia and God Save the Queen .... HUZZAH !!

+1

And 14 days definitely sounds more sensible to me. Have a good ride.
Newton's first law; Large body mass and weight equals fast going down hill but slow going up,
So blame Newton not me when you're bored waiting at the top of the hill.
Igobybike

Post by Igobybike »

All these comments of praise and I had to search to get his time!

https://twitter.com/endtoend2018
John o’Groats. Record broken. After the most unbelievable 43 hours 25 minutes and 13 seconds. Thank you to the whole team for getting @24HourMaths in and, remarkably, ahead of his schedule.