Record attempt scheduled

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
tatanab

Re: Record attempt scheduled

Post by tatanab »

cyclop wrote:Point of interest,should not these incredible endurance rides be classed as "bests" not "records" .A 24hr record with a stiff tailwind can,t be compared with any other ride.
These are RRA records which are place to place or straight out (for a distance or time), not to be compared with CTT time trial records. RRA distance records are often/usually wind and terrain assisted. For example, not many decades ago the shortish records would start at the top of the Devil's Beef Tubs.

Modern LeJog records may have the benefit of better road surfaces etc, but they also have to contend with much more traffic. Some LeJog records (class of machine) have stood since the 1950s despite attempts to break them, which shows how tough those riders were. I read an account of the first pair to set the tandem trike record (1948?) where they had to tow their machine along a farm track in pitch blackness and knock up a local cottage to ask directions.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

borisface wrote:Gethin's record has been around for some time now. I assume Michael Broadwith will be using a TT bike. I had a conversation a few years ago with John Woodburn, who pointed out that he still held the record for Lejog on a road bike.
I have a copy of John Woodburn's schedule from July 1981. I was a marshall in Bristol.
Username

Post by Username »

Paulatic wrote:
Username wrote:
Paulatic wrote:A schedule has been lodged for an attempt at Gethin Butlers record -24 hours, Land’s End to John o’Groats, 1000 miles.
Mike Broadwith has lodged it for a date after 29th April.
His route https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26405677
and schedule https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... ot&o=OneUp

horizon wrote:Just to clarify, that's not LEJOG in 24 hours.

So what does that bold bit mean then? LEJOG in one day of Venus?

Sorry you’ve lost me there :) If you’d said Tulsa I might have got a reference.
Or perhaps you’ve missed the comma listing the sequence of challenges.

All I got from reading this thread is a record attempt of cycling from Land's End to John o Groats in under 24 hours. And then someone else saying its actually not Land's End to John o Groats but failed to mention what it actually is. It's what it actually is that I am missing.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Someone else intending to give the LEJOG record a go in May
Ian To
@ITultracycling
Sceptic, idealist, Ultracycling champion, limit seeker - LEJOG May 2018
Liddington, England ultracycling.co.uk

Meanwhile here’s a great account on why Maybe going for all three records at once could be a mistake.
https://duracellbunnyonabike.com/2018/0 ... ssion=true
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Username wrote:All I got from reading this thread is a record attempt of cycling from Land's End to John o Groats in under 24 hours. And then someone else saying its actually not Land's End to John o Groats but failed to mention what it actually is. It's what it actually is that I am missing.
The usual routine is that whilst going for the LeJog record the rider can attempt shorter records along the way. In this case the 24 hour record, but in some cases they go for a 12 hour or a regional RRA 12 hour record. So the target here is LeJog, with the 24 hour record along the way if all is going well, and if LeJog goes well the shedule is there to allow the rider to continue to 1000 miles. You cannot take a record without submitting a schedule so that timekeepers and observers are prepared.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Yes, it's the following:

The furthest ridden in 24 hours record
The fastest Land’s End to John o’Groats record
And the fastest 1000 miles record.

All on the same ride - clever really.

I too read it at first as LEJOG in 24 hours (but who knows, one day?).

That's also why I wondered whether there weren't any other records to break on the way.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

horizon wrote:
I too read it at first as LEJOG in 24 hours (but who knows, one day?).

LEJOGLE in 24hrs
2C5057B1-42F1-4391-A186-22F81433B2B7.jpeg

E2E info
RickH

Post by RickH »

Username wrote:
Paulatic wrote:A schedule has been lodged for an attempt at Gethin Butlers record -24 hours, Land’s End to John o’Groats, 1000 miles.
Mike Broadwith has lodged it for a date after 29th April.
His route https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26405677
and schedule https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... ot&o=OneUp

horizon wrote:Just to clarify, that's not LEJOG in 24 hours.

So what does that bold bit mean then? LEJOG in one day of Venus?

It means he is going for the 24 hour record (most miles in 24 hours) AND the (quickest) LEJOG record AND the (quickest) 1000 mile record. All on the same ride. :D :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Ian To is setting off this Saturday morning on an attempt at Gethin's record
http://www.ultracycling.uk/project-44-lejog/

Looking for a driver too if anyone fancies a ride out :D

E2E info
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

A great day to choose! Good luck to him.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent!

Out riding today up near the A30 Devon and Cornwall, and there's a constant gentle-but-firm SW wind. Weather perfect at 18degC.
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Mick F wrote:Excellent!

Out riding today up near the A30 Devon and Cornwall, and there's a constant gentle-but-firm SW wind. Weather perfect at 18degC.

Gethin Butler is said to have waited all year for a SW wind.
In the end had to go for it no matter what.
If you've gota go you've gota go. :wink:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Would it be pedantic to point out that it has already been beaten..... except the ride was discounted

The outright LEJOG cycling record, on a Windcheetah recumbent, is held by Andy Wilkinson and stands at 41 hours, 4 minutes and 22 seconds.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Cunobelin wrote:Would it be pedantic to point out that it has already been beaten..... except the ride was discounted

The outright LEJOG cycling record, on a Windcheetah recumbent, is held by Andy Wilkinson and stands at 41 hours, 4 minutes and 22 seconds.
But that was not on a comparable machine. There are muliple records for different categories of machine and crew - bicycle, tricycle, tandem bicycle, tandem tricyce etc and crew both male and female. You are however correct in saying that the outright record is a different kettle of fish , but it is somewhat like pointing out that the solo tricycle record is slower than the solo bicycle record - quite irrelevant.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

tatanab wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Would it be pedantic to point out that it has already been beaten..... except the ride was discounted

But that was not on a comparable machine. There are muliple records for different categories of machine and crew - bicycle, tricycle, tandem bicycle, tandem tricyce etc and crew both male and female. You are however correct in saying that the outright record is a different kettle of fish , but it is somewhat like pointing out that the solo tricycle record is slower than the solo bicycle record - quite irrelevant.

That is why I stated the ride was discounted.... it was a little tongue in cheek

IIRC the youngest to complete the ride was about 14 months..... if you include children in trailers.