LEJOG Route setting off 6th May.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: LEJOG Route setting off 6th May.

Post by Mick F »

I agree completely .......... or at least the main part of it.
I was answering the question from Natural Ankling about easy-to-navigate routes.

Best way IMHO is to leave LE on the A30 and turn off through Penzance.
Get back on the A30 and turn off through Hayle.
Out the other end, go through Connor Downs and Camborne and Redruth to Blackwater.
A bit more of the A30 but turn off through Zenor and back onto the A30 again.
Turn off for St Newlyn East and head for St Columb Major.
Join the A39 for Camelford and through the town to turn east onto the A395 through Hallworthy.
Turn left for Tresmeer and Egloskerry for St Stephens.
Turn right then left down to the Spar shop and turn left up the A388 and right just as the hill starts to bite.
This will take you to the Old A30 and turn east onto it by Launceston Rugby Club.
Follow this over the River Tamar into England, and go through Lifton, Tinhay, Portgate, Lewdown to Sourton.
Turn left on the A386 and go past the service area etc and go for a mile, turning right signposted Meldon.
This will take you to the Old A30 again. Turn left and follow it into Okehampton town centre.

This is about 100miles from LE.

How's that?
All straight off the top of my head. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Alan58 wrote:Cycleruk is my Manchester expert I will leave advice on the Manchester ship canal to him when we meet up - can you tell I have not thought this out in detail? :D :shock:

Expert - Hate the thing. The only way I get over the canal usually is on the M6 (car or motorbike. :oops: )
Wimps are heading north on the A49 through Warrington. Not for any other reason than there is not much choice.
If you look on a map there are very few places to cross and the majority are Warrington area. (similar with the river Ribble at Preston)
One of the interesting crossings is the lock gates at Latchford Locks. (Traffic free but not sure if a practical route.)
I can see one crossing at Warburton (upstream of the M6 - B5159) but whether that suits your route I don't know.

Philvantwo has an interesting route concept and seems to be generally quiet-ish. Wimps had an enjoyable days riding around Gnosall / Audlam area.
Cheers.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Sorry Cycleruk :( no upset intended. google maps take you into the centre of Manchester “Bridge St” there is a Premier Inn near by was going to stop in Manchester.

Hi Mick F not bad off the top of your head to be fair. :D
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Alan58 wrote:Sorry Cycleruk :( no upset intended. google maps take you into the centre of Manchester “Bridge St” there is a Premier Inn near by was going to stop in Manchester. :D

:lol: Not upset. Sorry if I gave you that impression. (& definitely not an expert.)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
bikeandbeer

Post by bikeandbeer »

I'm envious of the time you have available for the journey - it certainly opens up your options. 6 weeks or so averages at abt. 23 miles a day. Does that allow you to take a more scenic, rural, quieter route even at the cost of some increased distance and elevation ? A lot of people wish to avoid primary/A roads due to the actual or perceived heavy/fast moving traffic. Anyone going for a record/fast LEJOG doesn't have a choice - but for you ? The popular route from Penzance following the A30 but with respite braids thro Hayle, Camborne,Redruth, Zelah, etc. can still be a bit busy. Have you considered the Cycling UK B/B based route (free to members) - a very pleasant ride through Cornish villages and farmland. You seem to be heading for Bodmin so both the above options will take you to Whitecross from where, once again, you have the option of routes to Camelford.
bikeandbeer

Post by bikeandbeer »

From Whitecross,via Camelford, to your stated Hallworthy the route via St. Columb Major would then include 20 unbroken miles of A39 so I agree with your choice via Bodmin area. At Whitecross turn R.onto A392 for 0.6 mile then bear L. to underpass A39, Ruthvoes, L. past Owl Sanctuary and flyover the A30 into Goss Moor nature reserve for a few flat miles on "old" A30, Victoria,then L. to flyover A30, N. to Inchs,R.thro' Tremorebridge, then L. and R. for a long sweeping downhill past Berry Lane farm to cross river Camel just W. of Nanstallon/Bodmin. You could then go straight up the steep road climb to meet the B3266 to Camelford but it's much easier to turn R. onto the Camel Trail (old railway) where you climb gradually for 7.6 miles up the valley (watch for sharp L. at 1 mile). You don't say what u r riding but I rode thro' last year on a medium weight steel tourer, rear pannier camping load, 700x28 semislicks with no problem, a decent compacted surface. The Camel trail ends at Wenfordbridge - cross over the bridge and R. to join the B3266 to Camelford. (This option from Whitecross to Camelford adds abt. 4 miles but saves abt 70ft. elevation (and a lot of traffic) compared to
A39 option !).
I stayed at a v.good campsite (Cherry Cottage, £10 2017) which is on your left just beyond the junction of B3266 and A39 as you enter Camelford. 0.6 mile pavement walk into centre of Camelford - good pub food/ale at Masons Arms. Or, just outside campsite there is a petrol station with well stocked mini-mart inc. hot snacks which is also great for breakfast and following day supplies.
To get to your stated Hallworthy,( you say you are not in a rush) I would suggest avoiding the long awkward A39 climb from Camelford and pick up NCN rt. 3 which goes round Crowdy reservoir -- go down the lane directly opposite campsite entrance.
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Hi bike and beer: thank you for your comment- I have not looked at the cycling UK B/B route - where can it be found? - I will look on the internet- I am fortunate to have as long as I like for the trip. Going to meet up with some mates old mates in Scotland for a beer or two so you never know what will happen. Cheers
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Wow bikeandbeer: the detail is fantastic

I am riding an ICE Adventure Recumbent Trike: 2 Panniers and a couple of banana bags. So all good to go on that front thanks again. Alan.
bikeandbeer

Post by bikeandbeer »

See Cycling UK website - non members can purchase it - It can be a good planning aid for u to base a personalised route on ------- of course the best route is the one that is best for YOU !
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Goss Moor is a good route. It'll take you to Bodmin ok. Done it, been there!
It's the route of the Old A30 as they've built the A30 to the north. The Old A30 there, was a complete bottleneck plus a low bridge that was often hit by lorries.
Old A30 Mercian.jpeg
Old A30 Goss Moor.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F, we need a map please. I've tried to follow your route but can't work it out. I was planning on lands end to JOG for my 60th birthday, which will be in 2022. I did it there and back in 1990 but the roads were a lot quieter then. I was reading your journal about your ride last week, did you write it down at the end of each day? Was that trailer heavy though?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote:Mick F, we need a map please. I've tried to follow your route but can't work it out.

I had a link to BikeRouteToaster once.
Dunno if it's still there ................... Just checked .......... it doesn't want to load.

I'll draw it on BikeHike and take a couple of screenshots.
Busy for this morning, but if you want more detailed info, just ask, and I'll get back to this later today.
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 07.46.36.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 07.48.08.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Here's my two pennyworth for the OP:

Given the timescale of your ride, and the comparatively modest daily mileages, you can afford to be flexible. I wouldn't overthink the route details and neither would I book my overnight stops much more than a few days ahead.

Plan a rough route based on possible overnight stops and take the relevant pages from a road atlas to cover it.

Take a tent and sleeping bag as an insurance against finding no other available accommodation.

Trade an increase in the overall mileage in return for quieter roads and/or a more scenic route and decide the details of each days riding on a daily basis.

Have fun.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote: .............. I was reading your journal about your ride last week, did you write it down at the end of each day? Was that trailer heavy though?
Sorry, missed this bit.
We had to go out, but I'm home for a few hours now.

I took my MacBook with me and typed up my day's account each evening. WiFi is required of course to access the internet and most (but not all) of the places I stayed were ok with it.

The trailer is quite heavy. I take most things with me but NOT including the kitchen sink. :D
The alu box will swallow anything so it's a bit tempting to take lots. Changes of clothing, tools, spare tyres and tubes, snacks, computer and leads, camera and charger, phone and charger, lecky razor, wet weather clothing ............... the list is sort of endless.

I have used panniers in the past, but since trying out a Carry Freedom trailer, I wouldn't even think about panniers any more. Originally, I strapped a suitcase onto the load bed which worked well, but wasn't rain-proof as the damp got in through the zipper. The Rolls Royce is using the aluminium box. It's fully waterproof and fully shock/bump proof too .............. and can be locked.
Mick F. Cornwall
bikeandbeer

Post by bikeandbeer »

for OP Alan 58 - (or anybody else looking for early days alternative route).

From your stated Hallworthy the popular (and least elevation route) to your stated Tiverton is via Launceston, Okehampton, Rob's passage - it's a great route. However, your plan to go via Hatherleigh is one I tried last year, a very scenic route ( for what it's worth it increases the elevation from 3000ft. to 3260ft but is 2.9 miles shorter). Hallworthy--Maxworthy--North Tamerton (after the stone bridge turn R.)-- Chasty--Staddon--join A3072 at Anvil Corner 2m E.of Holsworthy, it's more a country B road with good sight lines that u r on for 11 miles, and drop 400ft, to Hatherleigh. Then its a very linear route thro' Monkokehampton--Bondleigh-- bypass East Leigh--cross A377 to Morchard Bishop-- Black Dog--N out of Puddington to join B3137 to Tiverton.
Note-- as the B3137 drops twds. Tiverton cut the corner off by bearing R. onto Bakers Hill and at the bottom R. along King St then L to join the the 'Launceston route' as the A396 crosses the River Exe.

As I said in previous post, and +1 for Norman H. post, the best route is the one that is best for YOU. Rather than measuring your tour in units of distance, av. speed, elevation, it's best to measure it in units of enjoyment.