LEJOG Route setting off 6th May.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Alan58

Re: LEJOG Route setting off 6th May.

Post by Alan58 »

Norman H you have outlined my original plan to a T :D

I am though going to print out these other route suggestions and decide what to do each day or two. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and help it is much appreciated
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

The way I navigate on long tour is to pick up a cheap road atlas and draw in it the proposed route and any alternatives before I set off.
Then each night I plot the next day route in to my sat nav from the altas.
I also mark the first 3-5 campsites, beyond that it gets more iffy depending on how I'm going so I'll look up the next block of 3-5 as I go along.
You can use a tablet computer for the same function, but that needs power which can be in short supply if your camping all the time.
If you don't follow the proposed route then it's not the end of the world, but you may hit some unexpected hill as there are no contours in the atlas ..... :lol:
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Hi Tigerbiten: that is kind of what I am thinking of. I do think I was over planning at the start.

Power wise: I have bought a camping solar panel - bit of weight but hey hope it resolves the power issue.

Only problem at the moment: mounting my Garmin 700: put it on the centre post which worked as long as the sun did not shine. Any thoughts people? Bought a mount that fits next to the mudguard but not tried it yet. Kevin my Recumbent mate is fitting front suspension today on the Ice Adventure so I will try it out after that.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I see you're cleverly hedging your bets with the weather; if the sun shines you'll be winning on the solar power front but loosing out on screen visibility, and vice verse. :)

I'd suggest a trial run with the solar power, you may struggle to generate enough, especially if you have several electronic devices. I use dynamo power, supplemented with mains when it's available, but I also try to limit my dependence on electronics. I also prefer devices that use rechargeable AA's, which can be replaced with alkaline batteries in emergencies.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Don't expect to much out of the solar panel.
As long as you can position it in direct sunlight it will charge stuff.
But once it's in a bit of shade/overcast then forget it.
My 20 Watt panel will only just charge a couple of AA in light overcast.

A better bet if your not going the whole hub dynamo plus solar panel setup, which is the only way it will work in the UK because it can rain for a week, is a couple of big cache batteries and a mains charger.
Then pay a pound or so to get a battery charged up in the campsite office/house once it's flat while you can still use the other.
Downside is you'll have to wait for the office to open in the morning.

If you stop in hotels then power is not a problem.
One reason I stopped in a hotel every 4-5 days while touring in eastern europe was that was how long my cache battery lasted on that tour.
But if you camp then it can be so don't expect to be online every night.
As noted above, my satnav runs off a couple of AA and I carry a set of Duracells just in case I run all my recargables flat.
A Kindle uses less power than an Tablet so I preload all my documents/route plans (names of towns/villages, post codes for campsite, etc, etc) on to mine before I set out.

Luck .......... :D
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Mmmm B&B or a tent. I am planning to go B&B - I am ok with the expense. Struggled with a tent due to mobility issues (getting up and down) any thought?
shadwellrhino

Post by shadwellrhino »

I followed most of this route (including Mick F’s route through Cornwall) last year. If it helps there’s some GPX files and B&B recommendations if you follow this link and scroll down far enough.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=121231
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Many thanks Shadwellrhino much appreciated
RachelH

Post by RachelH »

I'm also setting off from LE on the 6th - maybe I'll see you there! I'll be the short fat woman who hasn't yet quite got the hang of the tandem.. :D
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

See you there. I am the 60 year old bloke with the Recumbent Trike that is going to stroll up to John O Groats. Day one: Van from Penzance to Land’s End and then trike back to the hotel that we have just left. Job done for the day. Feet up, bath, evening meal and breakfast the next day. Who said this LEJOG was difficult. Oh and off to Bodmin day two. 8)
RachelH

Post by RachelH »

Good for you Alan! I'm not quite strolling it, but taking four weeks so I'm certainly closer to that than the fit sporty types who steam up in less than a week somehow. And I'd have taken longer if I could have got more time off work. I'm LE to Truro on day one, then Truro to Liskeard on day two.
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Hi Rachel: do you have a route planned? My answer was slightly tongue in cheek. I will not be steaming up LEJOG. You Camping or B&B or both?

All the best might see you on the way up or on day one.
RachelH

Post by RachelH »

I do, though the finer details may change once I get more local advice from each day's stoker riding with me on the tandem. I know my day one stokers think it should be fine to stick on the A30 as far as Hayle rather than peeling off it into Newlyn, since it should be quiet enough on a Sunday. And someone else pointed out that the bit of route I pinched from Cicerone from Exeter to Taunton goes right over the Blackdown hills, when I could perfectly easily go around them by following closer to the M5.
https://endtoendtandemonium.wordpress.com/lejog-route-planning/

I'm staying with people along the route where I've been able to cadge offers of spare beds/sofas/floors, and then B&B to fill in the gaps. I'm going to have enough trouble trying to balance a different novice tandem stoker each day, without loading up panniers with camping kit too.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

LE to Hayle.
Hayle to Conor Downs through Camborne and Redruth town centres, then Blackwater, Zelah and St Columb Major.
A39 through Wadebridge and Camelford.
A395 through Halllworthy and turn off for Tresmeer and Egloskerry to St Stephens.
Turn right and then left, down the hill then left and then right, then out to the Old A30 and head for Okehampton.
Out over Appledore hill to Bow and Copplestone and Crediton.

Take Rob's Passage!!!!!!
viewtopic.php?t=108933
One link ........... there are loads of them. :D

Tiverton, Taunton, Bridgwater, Bristol ..................................
Mick F. Cornwall
RachelH

Post by RachelH »

Hi Mick, was that recommendation aimed at Alan, or me? If me, then thank you! I've been lurking around here for a while and have ardently read your sage advice, but sadly the delights of Wadebridge and Okehampton aren't going to work for me. I'm riding to support Samaritans, and I've said I'll call in to the branches which are roughly on the route - which ties me to going to Truro, and then south round Dartmoor via Plymouth, Torquay and Exeter. But the last bit of Robs Passage might just work on my way to Taunton!