LEJOG Route setting off 6th May.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Cyril Haearn

Re: LEJOG Route setting off 6th May.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Riding a tandem (sometimes alone?!) and taking longer seem like real lejoging to me
If one does it in 4 days or 24 or over several years so what? :wink:
All are valid
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not really aimed at anyone in particular, just another description of the easiest route out from the far Southwest.

Until I started publishing the route on here, we used to see most End2Enders coming through here down the A390, but now, the numbers are dropping .................... but increasingly using "my" route.

Rob's Passage was named by me after a chap on here called Rob S who first described it, and I started to push it out and called it Rob's Passage. Dunno if it's a co-incedence, but Rob seems to have disappeared!
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5406
Mick F. Cornwall
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Getting close now
RachelH

Post by RachelH »

It certainly is - aargh! Tandem passed it's health check at the bike shop this morning though, so I'm good to ride. The long range Met Office forecast is looking cautiously optimistic for us, Alan, fingers crossed...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Blimey your off today.....................any odds on how many will finish :)

Good luck, I wish I was fit enough to give you words of encouragement from the verge.

I did intersect a end to ender once............did 150 miles that day and camping 8)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Well set off as planned: did not follow the route as planned: Lands End to Penzance to Helston to Falmouth to Truro To St Austell which is where I am now. Thinking about giving the National Cycle Routes a miss. But hey off to Leaskard tomorrow then back on original route probably unless anyone can suggest an alternative? Seat of the pants is good fun
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

St Austell eh?
Many folk call it St Awful ........... but that's another subject. :wink:

St Austell to Liskeard is generally along the A390 via Lostwithiel. It's a bit busy and a bit lumpy so consequently is a bit difficult.
North out of St Austell is a long way up hill so it would be less of a trouble staying on the A390.

Where do you aim to be next?

My advice - as seeing you are in St Austell - is to stay south and head for Tavistock A390, then turn north up the A386 for Okehampton.
You could try to tackle Dartmoor and over to Moretonhampstead, but it is very lumpy up there, and there's a horrible long climb up Pork Hill onto Dartmoor itself. Not recommended IMHO.

If you want a scenic route, turn off the A390 east of Lostwithiel just after East Taphouse and cross the A38 at Doublebois. Head north there via Minnions and Upton Cross to follow the B3254 to Launceston, then the Old A30 to Okehampton through Lifton, Portgate, Lewdown and Sourton.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Blimey your off today.....................any odds on how many will finish :)

Good luck, I wish I was fit enough to give you words of encouragement from the verge.

I did intersect a end to ender once............did 150 miles that day and camping 8)

I think I am on the wrong post :oops:

Good luck :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Hi Mick F: many thanks for your advice much appreciated. I am booked into the Premier Inn at Liskeard tonight after that ? I am open to advice. Will book B&B as I go. My original route was Holsworthy Tiverton. Am I digging myself into a hole here.
Anyway I now know that a "highway" is not a main road. I did think it was cute that people were using American terms for their roads.
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Booked into a b&b at lob hill cross. Going to go from Liskeard to lob hill cross tomorrow. A390 to Tavistock and up from there? Did the A390 today all good. Again many thanks for support given.
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

B&B in Clevedon- lovely trip so far. Made a decision about my route- going to head over to the east coast and follow the A1 pretty much up to Edinburgh. Stopping in Harrogate for tea and cake.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

The A1??? It's a motorway!!
bikeandbeer

Post by bikeandbeer »

I know it's a bit off yet but the MOTORWAY ends at Newcastle and the A1 continues thro Northumberland to Edinburgh as non-motorway status - it can be a fast and aggressive mix of single/dual carriageway and has a high accident reputation. You're not in a rush, AVOID it ! -------- much better to follow the well signposted Sustrans "Coast and Castles" route - it's a scenic coastal route on B roads and back roads and is surprisingly flat "ish" - one of my favourite day rides - plenty of b&b options in the likes of Amble, Seahouses and a great YHA , "The Granary" at Berwick-upon- Tweed. A few climbs between Berwick and Dunbar and then flat into Edinburgh. ------ best to pick up the route on the north bank of the Tyne via the ferry from South Shields (bikes free) or the Tyne pedestrian/cycle tunnel from Jarrow.
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Sorry Sorry I did not literally mean the A1 sorry

I will just follow that direction National Cycle Route 1 just that general route. Betty’s in Harrogate for tea and cake seems like a good idea. Tea any one?
shadwellrhino

Post by shadwellrhino »

Bettys - very posh, and very good (pricey) food. Not a biker's cafe! Presume you're getting washed and changed first? :lol:

If you're planning to follow the A1 through Yorkshire, travel on the Great North Road through Aberford, then follow signs for Bramham, then Wetherby, then the A168 to Dishforth. This is a fairly fast but wide and pretty safe road. There's a good cycle path adjacent to the road from Wetherby to Walshford. Wetherby and Boroughbridge are both nice places to stop for food and drink (each has a Morrisons with cafe, and plenty of pubs and other cafes). Leave the A168 at Dishforth (or earlier if you want a more scenic route from say Boroughbridge) as it then becomes a very fast dual carriageway. From Dishforth there is a good route to Northallerton (another good stopping point) on the A167 via Topcliffe and Sandhutton. There's another Betty's at Northallerton - as good as the Harrogate one, but much quieter (you can easily queue for half an hour in Harrogate if you arrive at lunchtime or in the afternoon on a weekend). if you really want to go to Harrogate, then the back road from Wetherby is a good option as it avoids the busy area around Leeds. The whole of this area is pretty flat.