GPX routes - LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
ebgt

GPX routes - LEJOG

Post by ebgt »

Planning to do LEJOG later this year. I usually navigate using Motionx-GPS using imported GPX files.

I'm 51. Not a hugely experienced distance cyclist - but have been doing gradually more over the last year.

I could programme a .GPX route myself - but it's hard to know which roads to choose and leaves me slightly confounded. So, wondering of there's a route out there already done - that people would recommend.

Priorities would be: staying off the bigger roads, would prefer to avoid unnecessary hills, scenic is good. Have read the Manchester/Liverpool is tricky - so, the best way through there.

Not looking to break any records. Hoping to do it inside of 3 weeks. So, speed not the priority. But at the same time - on a Thorn Club Tour - so need to stay on reasonably smooth surfaces.

Thanks
puffin

Re: GPX routes - LEJOG

Post by puffin »

Hi and welcome,

I've published my routes on page 2 of a post entitled 7th and Final LEJOG, have a look at them see if they suit.

Best wishes

Bill
ebgt

Post by ebgt »

Thank you.
bikeandbeer

Post by bikeandbeer »

Everyone is seeking that "sweet spot" combination of flat / fast / scenic / traffic-free /tailwind / free beer ! ! ! etc. ----- it doesn't exist, especially in Cornwall/Devon. You need to find the trade-off between those criteria that makes it the best route for YOU. Have a look at very recent Post by "Alan 58" to get a flavour of the route issues in the early days. Also, if you use the "search" for this forum and enter, for example, "Cornwall route" it will give a lot of helpful links.

Good luck, the route planning is half the fun !
bikeandbeer

Post by bikeandbeer »

The Post by Alan 58 is "Lejog setting off 6th May"
Bike the UK for MS

Post by Bike the UK for MS »

ebgt wrote:Planning to do LEJOG later this year. I usually navigate using Motionx-GPS using imported GPX files.

I'm 51. Not a hugely experienced distance cyclist - but have been doing gradually more over the last year.

I could programme a .GPX route myself - but it's hard to know which roads to choose and leaves me slightly confounded. So, wondering of there's a route out there already done - that people would recommend.

Priorities would be: staying off the bigger roads, would prefer to avoid unnecessary hills, scenic is good. Have read the Manchester/Liverpool is tricky - so, the best way through there.

Not looking to break any records. Hoping to do it inside of 3 weeks. So, speed not the priority. But at the same time - on a Thorn Club Tour - so need to stay on reasonably smooth surfaces.

Thanks

From our experience you might struggle with both scenic and avoiding unnecessary hills. The route we take through Manchester/Liverpool is just to the east of Liverpool via Runcorn and near St Helens, but you're right that bit is definitely tricky!! Happy to help with gpx files having got a route sorted over the rides the last 4 years. It's about 1020 miles which we do in 14 days of riding. I've always wanted to go through areas like the Lake District and Dartmoor rather than going around so it might need tweaking to match what you'd want.
shadwellrhino

Post by shadwellrhino »

See my post: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=121231
I think this route might do it for you. I did use main roads, but only recall one short fast stretch. I never had any problems with the traffic and much of the route was scenic. The first part from LE to Wye Valley fits your criteria, and I think most of the route through Scotland does too.