Route advice for unsupported 4.5 day LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
IrondadUK

Re: Route advice for unsupported 4.5 day LEJOG

Post by IrondadUK »

Route was as previously posted for the 6 day trip apart from Day 4, as i was really suffering i tried to avoid hills and go through more stopping points and towns to stuck to the A7 all the way to Edinburgh.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28068077

I found the A30 and A9 very fast and dangerous roads but as i was trying to get it done quickly i didnt really have any viable alternative, if i had longer to ride i'd look at avoiding these.

Kit wise i had the fortune of stopping at home on night 3 and as i was really struggling i minimised everything, i took no clothing other than a spare pair of socks, cycling bib shorts and compression shorts. Minimal food, just a few bars/gels, along with fewer tools and toiletries.

I had a Garmin 1000 but didn't really need the nav as the route was straight forward. I also didnt take my GoPro, just used my phone.

Good Luck!
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Thanks!
toontra

Post by toontra »

Well done!

Six days allows a bit of wiggle room for unforeseen events (adverse weather, mechanicals and in your case fairly major injuries!). When you get down to 5, things have to go pretty smoothly and I would only consider a 4 (as I still am, possibly for next year) if a stonking tailwind is more or less guaranteed, which means remaining flexible on dates and being ready to go at short notice.

As you say, the A9 (particularly the bit just north of Perth) is pretty hairy but unavoidable if time is of the essence. Any other parts of the route that did/didn't work particularly well for you?