Route advice for unsupported 4.5 day LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Route advice for unsupported 4.5 day LEJOG

Post by Mick F »

Why Innerleithen?
Why Edinburgh?

Fastest route is from Carlisle to follow the Old A74 and go via the Lanark area and up through Bathgate to approach the Forth Road Bridge from the SW avoiding Edinburgh completely.
Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 09.02.55.png
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Unsupported, way to go and good luck, now I see you are planning stops at accommodation, this ties you down a bit, did I get that right about accommodation?

Unsupported is my final plan too but it will have to be next year, I never knew devon was so flat, at 53 ' /M :)
My plan would be unsupported and lightweight camping then you can stop and drop wherever you feel, I guess that's not everyones cup of tea.

1ST day should be hard as second day to settle into a pace is always hardest, then it gets easier, your body responds.
Resting every 3 hrs or so for 20 minute's is good.

Good luck with your latest injuries and we will watch on as you progress your ride with interest tell us when you are off :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PH

Post by PH »

IrondadUK wrote:All booked for mid July, total cost for trains and accommodation is £223.50, happy with that!

What a bargain!
Just had a glance at the stats, looks doable to me, tough and I'd still have loaded the last day with the theory that you don't have to save anything for the next... On every other day it's going to be all about recovery.
Hope your final preparation goes well and you have good conditions.
whoof

Post by whoof »

On the first section I would ride through Hayle and not on the by-pass it's slightly shorter, flat and if it's windy the by-pass has terrible crosswinds which in addition to the safety issues may make it slower than going through the town.

Launceston to Exeter, the old A30 runs parallel to the dual carriageway and I can't see it being much if any slower. You can come into Exeter via St Thomas on the B3132 which is again slightly shorter than via Alphington off the A30 and A377.

Also from Chepstow possibly up the Wye Valley A466 and A40 rather than through the Forest of Dean.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Hi, i did it in 5 days (or 4 and a half i guess as we finished mid afternoon on the last day) in 2016. I did it again last year in 8 or 9 ( i forget which). I'm happy to share the route if that helps. Its on Ridewithgps

I've been toying with the idea of a 4 day, which wouldn't be much tougher as the 5 day route was 1,000 miles and therefore indirect, but ive done LeJog 3 times in the past few years and I'm still working and therefore time poor, and there's other places to see
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Follow Mick F's route and you won't go far wrong.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I would suggest;
Lands End to Penzance.
Arriva Cross Country 220 / 221 Voyager Penzance to Glasgow ...
And a pleasant ride from Glasgow to JOG ... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
IrondadUK

Post by IrondadUK »

Thanks for the replies all, sorry for the delayed response I've been training hard!

Mick F - i liked the idea of doing home to Edinburgh ride and got a nice cheap hostel. Also may have someone joining me for that section. I was told on here that the route through Eskdale etc was the nicest route they'd ever ridden.

mnichols - I originally considered 4 days and that may be next years challenge, as this is my first I didn't want to be too ambitious and fail.

Whoof - I've amended my Day 1 route a little now thanks.

PH - yes the low cost was a deal sealer with me, got compression gear ready to help with recovery for each night. Fingers crossed for a SW wind!

Achilles injury almost clear (it was a full rupture late last year) and relapse over Easter after pushing myself too hard.

Launch date is set for Wed 11th July! :D :shock: :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Achilles, ouch, good luck :)
I am fortunate that I only suffer mild tendonitis.
davieb

Post by davieb »

I just did an unsupported 8 day LEJOG, with only a 15 litre minimal rucsack.

I cut the weight right down to silly levels ( evening wear compression tights, shorts and a tee shirt) insoles shared between bike shoes and trainers, spare bibs and shirt, chargers and bum and leg cream. That was about it.

My route advice would suit no one as I crossed the pennines twice in order to visit daughter in Harrogate, but my day 6 might suit:-
Carlisle, up the B7076 to Abington, then A702/A73 to Thankerton, then Pettenain, Carstairs then A706 through Forth, Livingston and West Calder. A71 to B7030 signposted Ratho. Carry on this through Kirkliston then B800 to Queensferry. Cross the old Forth Bridge then you have Mick F's route though Fife.

My only real omission that I regretted was not fitting tri bars.
Last edited by Graham on 26 Jun 2018, 12:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Layout
IrondadUK

Post by IrondadUK »

Final big ride tomorrow with another 100+ planned (did 2 this week so far) with some harder interval sessions too.

Start date confirmed for 11th July, all trains (with bikes on, nearly forgot this) and accom booked.

Any last minute tips welcomed, especially items to include/exclude from kit.
IrondadUK

Post by IrondadUK »

All done! completed in 6 days but have a big crash on Day 3 dislocating my shoulder along with other damage to me and the bike, I managed to cycle home (100miles) but then needed to go to A&E and have injuries assessed & get strapped up.

Route was OK and kit was more than enough, with lots of learning. 5 days (or 4.5 as i initially planned) would be possible as my first 3 days could be condensed into 2 but don't think i could do any quicker than that.

On to my next challenge - either Arch to Arc in 24hrs and/or length of Spain.

Thanks for all the tips and advice on here, i'm happy to answer any Q's just get in touch.

Cheer, Chris
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Bad luck!
You completed or not or took a break with injuries and a&e? then carried on?
IrondadUK

Post by IrondadUK »

Sorry if i wasn't clear - Yes i finished, even managed a smile at the end! :D :D

Just didn't enjoy the 2nd part as much due to constant suffering on the bike. I couldn't get out of the saddle on any climbs and even holding my hoods was painful, the Tri extensions were a definite necessity.
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Sounds like you had something of 'an epic'. Well done for finishing, especially with damage to both you and the bike.

IrondadUK wrote:Route was OK

I'd be interested to see the final route (and any recommendations/suggestions now you have ridden it), is it the one you posted previously?

IrondadUK wrote:... and kit was more than enough

and also your kit list and how you carried it - I'm planning a 9-day lightweight B&B trip using an 11 litre saddlebag (light down jacket, lightweight walking trousers and T, flipflops, spare bibs and jersey, arm and leg warmers, waterproof jacket, small wash kit, charger and cables) and a top tube bag (battery pack, tubes, levers, multi-tool).

I'll have the route on my Garmin and have a GoPro for video/pictures and my phone for back-up for both.