Another first timer...

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
banks1984

Another first timer...

Post by banks1984 »

Hi all,

I am hoping to undertake a LEJOG in early July this year with the aim of completing the ride in 9 days (to limit cost and time off work!).

Whilst being fairy fit, or at least, have the potential to be after a few months training, I am nonetheless new to distance cycling. Previously my exercise has been through 10k/5k running, 5 a sides, badminton etc then kids and working away from home took over.

I started to draft a route last night using the majority of a route discussed on a '9 day LEJOG' thread near the bottom of the first page of the forum. However, when I started to add accommodation to this I have found that the first two days have extended from a target of 100 miles each to 125 miles and 140 miles respectively (Crediton and Hereford). At first I thought it was an unintentional positive as it would allow me to get some extra miles banked when I would be in a fresher condition, but I'm also aware from what I have read that the Cornwall area is pretty hilly so I am concerned it may be too much too soon.

I'm interested to know what the consensus might be and as an extension of that, what the most popular accommodation is around those areas?

FWIW, my initial draft route is as follows:

Day 1 - Crediton
Day 2 - Hereford
Day 3 - Knutsford
Day 4 - Kendal
Day 5 - Moffat
Day 6 - Home (I livenear the Erskine bridge)
Day 7 - Fort William-ish (accommodation TBC)
Day 8 - Allness-ish (accommodation TBC)
Day 9 - JOG

The total distance was calculated on Strava as 902 miles. This was shorter than I was expecting but I've still to check if it has put me on any weird roads. Although, I am going up the A6, A82 and A9 which I believe are all pretty much as direct as you can go.

Best regards,
Martin
robgul

Re: Another first timer...

Post by robgul »

http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk has lots of resources.

My experience (I've done both ways) is that JOGLE was easier as the "hills" in Scotland are relatively easy, with a few exceptions - and you're far fitter when you arrive in Cornwall and take hills in your stride - starting from LE is a bit of a baptism of fire with the steep albeit short hills, just lots of them, in the first days.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
banks1984

Post by banks1984 »

Thanks Rob. There isn't really a reason for me considering LE as a starting point over JOG other than as I'm based in the central belt of Scotland it seemed like the thing to do. I'll look at how the logistics would change if I flipped the route. If I could encourage the family to meet me in Cornwall I could allocate some of the costs against a family holiday :-)

Martin
horizon

Post by horizon »

banks1984 wrote:Whilst being fairy fit, or at least, have the potential to be after a few months training,

I'm sure you'll manage to improve on that. :wink:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve met lots of people, who weren’t 'cyclists' doing an E2E but none were on a 9 day schedule. Hope your training goes well and you learn about what you’ll need to keep going day after day.
Staying in Moffat? I always recommend a pal of mine Paul Ramsden of the Bonnington. You’ll leave with a smile
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
banks1984

Post by banks1984 »

Yeah I may end up stretching it out a bit. I figured I'd start to plan for this duration and see how feasible it is once I start putting on some miles in training. If it doesn't seem possible I'll hold off until it is :-). Thanks for the feedback
boink

Post by boink »

i wouldn't recommend 100 + mile days to start the campaign off. I'd done 60+ mile trial runs in Staffordshire (gently rolling hills) but found the two days it took to get to Exeter on the classic CTC hostel route hard going. Torrential rain on day two made the 70 odd miles even harder. Cadge an extra day off and spend more time in Cornwall and Devon. Build up miles rather than banking them would be my advice.
toontra

Post by toontra »

You sound like you have a decent level of fitness so I'd say 100 mpd is easily achievable, provided you make sure that your bike setup is correct. Pay particular attention to the 3 points of contact - feet, hands and especially bum. If you are pain-free in those areas then you can happily carry on riding as long as you like at whatever speed you choose. Even an extremely modest 12 mph will see you reaching each day's destination at a reasonable hour.

One thing I always recommend on long rides - set off early. For me that's as soon as it gets light - 3am in the summer. This has so many advantages:

]1) Psychological boost of having knocked off a large portion of your ride before breakfast time

2) The roads are quiet - it's my favourite time of day for riding

3) You will reach your destination early enough to completely relax, get everything organised for the next day, eat, buy provisions, have a bath/shower and an early night (ear plugs may be needed!)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

As soon you feel up to it, plan a weekend with back to back rides with similar mileage, or a bit more, carrying the same or similar load to your LEJoG. You can stay at home at night, or book someplace a suitable distance from home. The latter is slightly better, if you can, because it is more like the real thing, in that, you have to do way-finding, settle in, feed yourself, etc. all in circumstance that are representative of what you will encounter on LEJoG.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

toontra wrote:One thing I always recommend on long rides - set off early. For me that's as soon as it gets light - 3am in the summer. This has so many advantages:

1) Psychological boost of having knocked off a large portion of your ride before breakfast time

Setting off early can be nice, but I personally need breakfast before I can set off, especially touring. If I were attempting a 9 day LEJoG, I'd be eating every possible chance I could get. Otherwise, I tend to run out of go after a few days.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
toontra

Post by toontra »

Vorpal wrote:
toontra wrote:One thing I always recommend on long rides - set off early. For me that's as soon as it gets light - 3am in the summer. This has so many advantages:

1) Psychological boost of having knocked off a large portion of your ride before breakfast time

Setting off early can be nice, but I personally need breakfast before I can set off, especially touring. If I were attempting a 9 day LEJoG, I'd be eating every possible chance I could get. Otherwise, I tend to run out of go after a few days.

I buy food the night before to eat before setting off. Muller Rice pots are a favourite, with bananas, cake or anything else you fancy. I certainly wouldn't suggest starting without nutrition. You can then stop for a "proper" breakfast at the usual time if you feel the need.

Some B&B's will provide some basic provisions for you if you tell them you are going to miss breakfast, especially if you are still paying for it (personally I try and negotiate a discount instead).

Setting off early can be particularly beneficial if, like the OP, you are using major roads. You get a clear 4 hours of relatively light traffic.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You mention being fit and running but how much cycling do you do? Running all day and cycling all day are quite different
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yep, start early, I always start when its dark.
I always feel better after a few hours in the saddle.
As said, always carry rations and always stop to eat after a time, don't carry on if behind schedule without sustenance.
Stop at café, Cake shop, Spar shops etc, and always keep rations to last half a day! Don't forget fluid I would always err on the safe side and carry at least 2 litres on board.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.