If you do it in stages is it proper LeJog....!?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
scarletnut

If you do it in stages is it proper LeJog....!?

Post by scarletnut »

Planning to do my first LeJOg this September but family commitments and a wife hinting that 3 weeks plus away is a tad too long I am struggling.....if I was to do LE to Runcorn as a first leg and finish off early next year am I CHEATING!!? Do I get the T shirt!!? Has anyone done the challenge like this - not my preferred choice but needs must. Appreciate sympathetic views on this.... :roll:
Paulatic

Re: If you do it in stages is it proper LeJog....!?

Post by Paulatic »

Of course it is. Plenty of people have done it in convenient stages. Even wrote about it (Mud Sweat & Gears, Ellie Bennet)
Met 2 old guys in their 80s cycling Edinburgh to London doing it a few days at a time and return to base. One of them walked LEJOG over 3 yrs he had to stop for a new hip in between :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No it is not cheating

Later you could do it again and again, maybe a LeJogLe plus Side to Side
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
horizon

Post by horizon »

Warning: this is a highly philosophical question!

No, it isn't a proper LEJOG. It isn't cheating unless you pretend to do it. But it isn't the real thing either. IMV. I haven't done LEJOG (though I have done most of the English sections at one time or another). Many people will say don't worry about it but that isn't quite the same thing. BTW you could of course just borrow the sections and chalk them up - but it isn't LEJOG.

The reasons:

1. The mileage presents a challenge to man and machine. Break it up and you change the challenge.
2. The weather is completely unpredictable over two or three weeks - you have to take whatever it throws at you.
3. It requires more planning, more decisions and more judgements.
4. You are away longer from your friends and family if doing it alone.
5. It will test your friendships and relationships if doing it with other people.
6. Over the time it will change you in a way that you will never know until you do it.

LEJOG is far more than a cycling challenge or a case of getting up hills. It is a mental challenge as well. It presents a challenge just by the chance existence of these two oddly named points on the map: ignore them and it loses its power.

If you cannot do it all at once, take satisfaction (and pride) from achieving the segments but it isn't LEJOG.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

May we vote on this?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

horizon wrote:Warning: this is a highly philosophical question!

The reasons:

1. The mileage presents a challenge to man and machine. Break it up and you change the challenge.
it.

LEJOG is far more than a cycling challenge or a case of getting up hills. It is a mental challenge as well. It presents a challenge just by the chance existence of these two oddly named points on the map: ignore them and it loses its power.

If you cannot do it all at once, take satisfaction (and pride) from achieving the segments but it isn't LEJOG.

There’s the crux of the poser.
Do you see LEJOG as covering the distance between two points using rules which suit your own circumstances? Or do you see LEJOG as some undefinable challenge, unless you’re after breaking a record, to be done in a manner and a time defined by someone else?

E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Both are right

I think Paulatic knows more than most about LeJog and LeJoglers, right?
horizon

Post by horizon »

Paulatic wrote:Do you see LEJOG as covering the distance between two points using rules which suit your own circumstances? Or do you see LEJOG as some undefinable challenge, unless you’re after breaking a record, to be done in a manner and a time defined by someone else?

The challenge is set by our response to the existence of these two points. We can ignore them or use them. But they are there at our disposal if we so wish. They aren't going away.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Both are right

I think Paulatic knows more than most about LeJog and LeJoglers, right?

I doubt it ..I’ve never done it (yet) but I do meet, on the road because I cycle on a well used route, around 30 people every year in the process.
If ever I wrote a book it might well be about theE2Enders I’ve met. There’s lots of characters :D

E2E info
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

It is I feel up to the individual! If you do it in stages it is your choice.....and as long as YOU are happy with it then I see no problem.
I think you make a Lejog or Jogle to suit yourself.....there are no hard and fast rules BUT I do think that a continuous unbroken one is a harder challenge and therefore is a more satisfying way!
simonwoodward66

Post by simonwoodward66 »

horizon wrote:Warning: this is a highly philosophical question!

No, it isn't a proper LEJOG. It isn't cheating unless you pretend to do it. But it isn't the real thing either. IMV. I haven't done LEJOG (though I have done most of the English sections at one time or another). Many people will say don't worry about it but that isn't quite the same thing. BTW you could of course just borrow the sections and chalk them up - but it isn't LEJOG.

The reasons:

2. The weather is completely unpredictable over two or three weeks - you have to take whatever it throws at you.
3. It requires more planning, more decisions and more judgements.
4. You are away longer from your friends and family if doing it alone.
5. It will test your friendships and relationships if doing it with other people.
6. Over the time it will change you in a way that you will never know until you do it.

I'm doing my first JOGLE in June. I'm starting to worry now. Have I abided by all the rules? If someone could send me the rules and regulations so I can make sure that my ride is proper please.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my MotoG3 using hovercraft full of eels.
PH

Post by PH »

Your challenge, your rules. But it's a different challenge if you do it in segments, in some ways easier and others harder.
wife hinting that 3 weeks plus away is a tad too long

Do you need three weeks? 14 days is pretty common and many people in good health would be able to get that down to 10 with the appropriate preparation. Maybe even sign up with an organised group that'll make the logistics easier and might even transport your luggage.
If you wanted a challenge to do in one go, there's a couple of alternatives, not as iconic but might be worth a look at.
Dover to Durness is a hundred miles or so shorter and misses the hardest part of an E2E - this is on my to do list
Lowestoft to Ardnamurchan (Furthest east and West points on the GB mainland) 600 miles - I did this a few years ago and enjoyed it more than the E2E, I also found it a good bit tougher, going against the grain of the hills.
If the challenge element isn't that important to you, I wouldn't bother with any of them, pick an area and tour it instead.
horizon

Post by horizon »

simonwoodward66 wrote:I'm doing my first JOGLE in June. I'm starting to worry now. Have I abided by all the rules? If someone could send me the rules and regulations so I can make sure that my ride is proper please.

Some people say that you go from Land's End to John o'Groats or vice versa. But you don't have to if you don't want to do either. Your cycle ride will be what you make it and no-one says you have to do it on a cycle. And to do JOGLE you certainly don't have to start at JOG. And you can take as long as you like or as little. Or not - that's up to you. You can also finish at JOG and then go on to start at LE. Or you can do GELJO. You can choose the distance between LE and JOG - a lot or a little, say 100 miles or none - it's really up to you. Or you can start and finish at JOG at the same time - this is the easiest option. The harder option is to go south west from LE and approach JOG from the north east. And then you can do it in such a way that as you approach LE you get further away and time goes backwards. And as you become weightless, you can transcend the rules on how much to take and finally become John o'Groats yourself merging with Land's End, the other side of your being, into Oneness until there is no more JOGLE or LEJOG just a supreme unity of two points on one map which has no dimensions and no time. And no rules.
simonwoodward66

Post by simonwoodward66 »

horizon wrote:
simonwoodward66 wrote:I'm doing my first JOGLE in June. I'm starting to worry now. Have I abided by all the rules? If someone could send me the rules and regulations so I can make sure that my ride is proper please.

Some people say that you go from Land's End to John o'Groats or vice versa. But you don't have to if you don't want to do either. Your cycle ride will be what you make it and no-one says you have to do it on a cycle. And to do JOGLE you certainly don't have to start at JOG. And you can take as long as you like or as little. Or not - that's up to you. You can also finish at JOG and then go on to start at LE. Or you can do GELJO. You can choose the distance between LE and JOG - a lot or a little, say 100 miles or none - it's really up to you. Or you can start and finish at JOG at the same time - this is the easiest option. The harder option is to go south west from LE and approach JOG from the north east. And then you can do it in such a way that as you approach LE you get further away and time goes backwards. And as you become weightless, you can transcend the rules on how much to take and finally become John o'Groats yourself merging with Land's End, the other side of your being, into Oneness until there is no more JOGLE or LEJOG just a supreme unity of two points on one map which has no dimensions and no time. And no rules.
Phew, that's a relief. I'm definitely sticking to those rules. Thanks for clearing things up.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my MotoG3 using hovercraft full of eels.
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Is it a proper LEJOG? Simply put NO. If we met in the pub I would ask about your “stages” and then tell you that I have/will have completed LEJOG in one attempt adopting a slightly and I emphasise slightly superior attitude all the while congratulating you on your efforts. I would then go on to speak about the planning and the mental and physical effort in completing the task in one go. Oh I am also of the opinion that anyone that has support or the company of others on the journey has not really completed LEJOG either. There is only one way: unsupported, alone and in one trip - the length of the trip is of course negotiable.

So hang on could the days between your “stages” just be classed as “rest days” ? Is the a set number of rest days that is considered acceptable on any one tour?