If you do it in stages is it proper LeJog....!?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
horizon

Re: If you do it in stages is it proper LeJog....!?

Post by horizon »

If you want to cycle from Land's End to John o'Groats, there are actually three immutable rules:

1. You have to do it, no-one else.
2. You have to cycle it.
3. You have to go from Land's End to John o'Groats.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
bikeandbeer

Post by bikeandbeer »

Where does this leave LEJOGers on a tandem then ? Do they qualify for only half a LEJOG each ?
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Also I was looking at the new ICE TRIKE e-assist looks really nice does 60 miles on one charge: would that count? And when does e-assist become classed as a motorcycle? Just asking like. :D
RachelH

Post by RachelH »

I resigned myself long ago to not riding a 'proper' LEJOG. But I'm going to have great fun riding a highly improper one! :D
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Unless your name is John woodburn* everyone does it in stages.
The WIMPS are doing it this June, in lots of stages. 8)

*(other superb end to end time trialists are available)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I thought everybody did it in stages. Sometimes just a day off; sometimes a day but then chucking it down the next day; sometimes get e.g. "the runs" and take a few days holed-up somewhere convenient; sometimes pop home for a family event; who defines where a break invaliates "LEJOG".

Ian
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Is this kind of like saying if you did the London marathon, but it took you 6 hours, have you done a marathon?

Technically, yes, but it takes something away from the achievement - an achievement nonetheless.

Sport is the acceptence of arbitary rules, it's why they don't allow people to take whatever drugs they want. Given that there are no hard and fast rules for LeJog, except where you start and finish, it's kind of down to you. As long as you can hold your head up high I think that's all that matters.

Doing LeJog in one stint, unsupported and camping is a greater physical achievement than several stages and sleeping in nice hotels. But who cares? Not everyone has the time or the physical condition to do this.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Doing the end to end in stsges takes nothing away from the achievement.

It's a cycle tour... It's fun .. Otherwise why would you ?
I hope no one would seek to denigrate others efforts until they have done Lejog unsupported, in 72 hours wearing their best hair shirt.

There is always someone ready to trivialize others efforts ... Allegedly ... :twisted:
Be more Mike.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Doing it in two halves separated by six months isn't cheating but it isn't a proper LeJog either and I have a feeling it'll be like a itch that you'll just have to scratch at some point in the future :evil:

This is exactly how I feel about LeJog. Yes, I've done it but until I do it unsupported it still feels like unfinished business.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick F and me have talked about walking LEJOG.

I reckon we could take the train to Penzance and a bus(?) to LE and walk back to Hayle, then take the train home.
Some time in the future, take the train to Hayle again and walk to Truro, and take the train home again.
Then, take the train to Truro and walk to Par, and get the train home.

Repeat for as long as we want, walking when we want to and as far as we want to, and only sleeping away from home when we get too far away to make it viable. Taunton maybe or even Bristol.

From there, we'd have to keep going for days/weeks, and maybe only going home by train when we'd had enough and need to recuperate.
It could take us a couple of years to complete of course.

Valid LEJOG or not?
Probably not, but it would be rather enjoyable anyway.
Mick F. Cornwall
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

Mick F wrote:Mrs Mick F and me have talked about walking LEJOG.

I reckon we could take the train to Penzance and a bus(?) to LE and walk back to Hayle, then take the train home.
Some time in the future, take the train to Hayle again and walk to Truro, and take the train home again.
Then, take the train to Truro and walk to Par, and get the train home.

Repeat for as long as we want, walking when we want to and as far as we want to, and only sleeping away from home when we get too far away to make it viable. Taunton maybe or even Bristol.

From there, we'd have to keep going for days/weeks, and maybe only going home by train when we'd had enough and need to recuperate.
It could take us a couple of years to complete of course.

Valid LEJOG or not?
Probably not, but it would be rather enjoyable anyway.

Possibly not a valid LEJOG, but it still would be one hell of an achievement.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

sbcoombs wrote:

What about doing it in 14 stages, is that a proper LEJOG ?..... :lol:
Be more Mike.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:Mrs Mick F and me have talked about walking LEJOG.

Met a lady a few years ago. Her husband had cycled up to JoG. She drove the car up so that he could get home and she was then walking back to LE.
Simplified the lejostics quite well I thought.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

landsurfer wrote:
sbcoombs wrote:

What about doing it in 14 stages, is that a proper LEJOG ?..... :lol:

I’ll tell you in a couple of months [emoji6]
scarletnut

Post by scarletnut »

Thanks all - looks like I started a lively debate. I am planning on the 14 day route but logistics from West Wales and allowing for a few days rest it is almost 3 weeks....! I think I am with those who say it is NOT LeJog if you leave the route at any time and re-join after a significant break. If it had gone to a vote I get the impression that most agree that it is still a LeJog and more enjoyable BUT I would have to agree that it isn't the real deal (I have walked Pembs Coastal Path several times but never in one go..).
What I didn't anticipate are those who think it's not a real LeJog if you don't carry your own baggage or indeed if you stay in hotels or B&B's!!! My plan is still to do 14 days carrying my own baggage but doing B&B's and some Y Hostels . Please don't tell me this is not the real deal....continue the philosophical debate please!? :P