If you do it in stages is it proper LeJog....!?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
landsurfer

Re: If you do it in stages is it proper LeJog....!?

Post by landsurfer »

Our mob are doing it in 14 days starting last week of June.
I'll be 60 half way through.
At least 2 of our team are over 70.
Most are camping every night but I'm in "Hattie" our 30 year old camper van ...
Driven by Jules, accompanied by Riley ...
Riley is our 6 month old baby boy so that's our excuse ... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I cannae think of a better excuse :D
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

scarletnut wrote:Planning to do my first LeJOg this September but family commitments and a wife hinting that 3 weeks plus away is a tad too long I am struggling.....if I was to do LE to Runcorn as a first leg and finish off early next year am I CHEATING!!? Do I get the T shirt!!? Has anyone done the challenge like this - not my preferred choice but needs must. Appreciate sympathetic views on this.... :roll:

It's your ride. It's up to you.

If you aren't happy with it after, you'll just have to do it again ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

scarletnut wrote:Thanks all - looks like I started a lively debate. ...

I'm pleased you posted a second time on this thread because I'm probably overconcerned about one-time posters triggering controversies.

If you are planning a bike ride or a tour, the ground rules are your own. If you want to discuss your efforts with others, then you need to be clear what you are talking about so others aren't misled. So, if you were to ask about things to consider in an End-to-End ride, somebody like me might comment on the need to be able to ride day after day, rain or shine etc. It would have been a waste of typing if you replied that you were doing it in bits when the sun was shining with a tail wind or whatever. (Thinks: is it OK to ride the different chunks in one direction or the other depending on the wind?)

Beyond a certain number of cyclists, few people will have much idea or interest. The idea that the RRA record is in the two days zone baffles most non-cyclists who when they hear that assume it must be two days actual riding rather than two days including every sort of break and no time-outs. I think most people would be quite impressed if you spaced your multiple day rides over many months because they wouldn't ride a bike to the end of the street.

IMO, you can do as you like so long as you explain it clearly if you need to discuss it.
John100

Post by John100 »

Landsurfer wrote "Our mob are doing it in 14 days starting last week of June".
"mob" should read "elite endurance team" I think. :shock: :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I assert that that most LeJoGs are invalid because the prevailing wind is usually from the southwest, everyone knows that including the record breakers

Likewise most JoGLes would be valid, right? :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

John100 wrote:Landsurfer wrote "Our mob are doing it in 14 days starting last week of June".
"mob" should read "elite endurance team" I think. :shock: :lol:

+1
A group of professional amateurs?
scarletnut

Post by scarletnut »

thirdcrank - no, it was not a wind up and I have done things like Blackpool to Paris and tours of Ireland over the years. Been wanting to do LeJog for years and was up for this year being the one but am genuinely torn by family commitments and thought I would ask the question (probably cos I thought of it but starting feeling guilty about the whole idea!). Some great comments back though and am trying to move the ride into August instead and once I get that train ticket to penzance........!!! :)
horizon

Post by horizon »

thirdcrank wrote: I think most people would be quite impressed if you spaced your multiple day rides over many months because they wouldn't ride a bike to the end of the street.

:lol: It's just so true. And I would still maintain that LEJOG is more than the sum of its parts - I totally sympathise with the OP on this. And yet if people do do it in bits - still great.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
RickH

Post by RickH »

Thirdcrank wrote:Beyond a certain number of cyclists, few people will have much idea or interest. The idea that the RRA record is in the two days zone baffles most non-cyclists who when they hear that assume it must be two days actual riding rather than two days including every sort of break and no time-outs. I think most people would be quite impressed if you spaced your multiple day rides over many months because they wouldn't ride a bike to the end of the street.

It often amazes me when people I know repeatedly react as though cycling 5 miles each way to get to a meeting/event is some sort of superhuman feat. A few, especially if they are walkers, "get it" if I talk in term of time instead of distance.

I have wondered if the RRA record is easier in some ways now it is less than 2 days - there is only 1 night without sleep to deal with. I can do that if I have to (& I have ridden, & walked, right through the night before - but not for a good few tears), maybe I should have a go? Or maybe not! :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

My wife and I have cycled form Portsmouth alongtheu coast to Edinburgh, across to Glasgow, and then the Coast to Chester, Welsh borders, and then the coast back to Plymouth - basically the "English Boder"

It took 10 years of holidays and weekends, but believe me - we count it as an achievement
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Cunobelin wrote:My wife and I have cycled form Portsmouth alongtheu coast to Edinburgh, across to Glasgow, and then the Coast to Chester, Welsh borders, and then the coast back to Plymouth - basically the "English Boder"

It took 10 years of holidays and weekends, but believe me - we count it as an achievement

Wow
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
boink

Post by boink »

For me it was as others have said, about the challenge of doing it in consecutive days, with some awful weather thrown in and that awareness you get of the landscape changing. I was mid 40's, not much of a cyclist or physical specimen (still not) and as easy as two weeks sounds, doing 70 + miles in Cornwall/Devon on day 2 was a daunting challenge to me. Having said this, I did it in over two weeks and stayed in hostels, so it could be said I wimped out over camping or took too long. Friend of mine did same route a few weeks earlier and had a day off half way. Don't think he'd see that as cheating,

So in a nutshell, and only imho it's not a 'proper' lejog. But who cares? My personal version of the classic LeJog is the CTC's own hostel based route, not the quickest route. It involved detours every day to far flung hostels like Welsh Bicknor and Carbisdale Castle, getting lost for hours on end and of course plenty of beers and cake. You do it your way and when you get the chance, take a good mate and do it in one lump. :D
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Proper??? does it matter.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Proper??? does it matter.

Not in the slightest. In this context, none of us should live our lives to satisfy others.