LEJOG in June, Route Review Please

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
charliepolecat

Re: LEJOG in June, Route Review Please

Post by charliepolecat »

Thank you Mick.

I always use cue sheets for my rides so I will transfer these to that format once I have them all and then re-post those for any who would like them in that system.

Ken.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chapter Four?

Chapter Four

Stay on the A6, but turn off through Garstang town centre, and then A6 again to Lancaster. Cross the River Lune and keep heading north on the A6 through Bolton le Sands and Carnforth and Milnthorp.

At Milnthorp crossroads, turn right to Ackenthwait B6385 to Crooklands and follow A65 north into Kendal and re-join the A6 north right over Shap Summit.

The hill isn’t difficult, but it is long. You climb up and up, then over a false summit plunging down over a little bridge, then up and up and up exposed on the west side over a steep sided ravine. Be careful of the weather! At the top, there’s a monument with an inscription well worth a read.

Down a long way, and into Shap Village, and keep going on the A6 headed for Penrith. Straight through, keep going A6 into Carlisle. Before you reach Carlisle, you will be half way to JOG.

Now, you have another choice:
A7 via Hawick, Selkirk and Galashiels to Edinburgh, or the Old A74 via Lockerbie and Beatock to Edinburgh.

From Carlisle, head out on the A7 via Longtown, and cross the border to Langholm to Hawick. The A7 is a bit of a main road, but no problem in my experience. Keep going through Selkirk and Galashiels, Stow, Gorebridge, and cross the A470 Edinburgh bypass near Dalkeith down the Dalkeith Road into Edinburgh city centre across North Bridge onto Princes Street. Busy as hell! Big city!

Instead of the A7 from Carlisle, you can go north through Rockcliffe and Floristonrigg onto the Old A74 (mirroring the M6 and M74) to Gretna then B7076 through Ecclefechan and Lockerbie, then Johnstonebridge into Beatock.

Just north of Beatock, turn off right to Moffat on the A701 up into the wilds of Tweedale before descending through Broughton and joining the A72 for a spell, then re-join the A701 then the A703 for Penicuik.

Straight through via Milton Bridge and again get on the A701 through Bilston and Straiton into Edinburgh city centre.

Not sure which is the best way, but maybe the A7 route is simpler and easier to follow.

Next bit is a bit difficult.
You need to cross the Forth Road Bridge.

Get out of Edinburgh on the A90 for the bridge, but bicycles aren’t allowed on the A90 beyond the city, so you have to get off the A90 just west of Cramond Bridge and into Dalmeny re-joining the A90 on the slip roads over the bridge. There are cycle ways, but they aren’t ideal though sadly, they are the only way. You will need to look at OS maps to see the cycle route.

Cross the Forth and turn off right into Inverkeithing.
Mick F. Cornwall
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Thanks Mick,

Wow! We are in Edinburgh already, this is probably better than actually riding it. :D

Ken.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Exciting eh? :D

Personally, I've never like Edinburgh. First went there back in the 70s when we lived on the other side of the Forth Bridges. Used to go shopping there and didn't think much of the place. Been there a few times over the years and it's just the same but very very busy.
Glasgow is much better. Lived on that side of Scotland too, and shopping down Argyll Street was great. The people seemed nicer too.

During my End2Ends, I stayed in YHAs in Edinburgh. First couple of times was down near Haymarket, and latterly on Leith Walk - very good indeed, though the bike shed is down some steep steps underneath the building.
Mick F. Cornwall
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

I've never been to Glasgow probably because of the gang wars there in the 60's, I have been to Edinburgh but only to see the sights including the castle, Hollyrood and to stand on top of Arthur's seat.

My enduring memory of Scotland was finding a dead ewe in a brook with a lamb standing vigil over its mum. I placed the lamb in our motor caravan and drove up to a nearby farmhouse where the farmer was not at all pleased to be presented with it. I am convinced city people are more concerned with animals and the country side that those who live in it. :(

Looking forward to Chapter 5. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good Morning!

Chapter Five.

Go through Inverkeithing town and head north. You cross the A921 and onto the B981 into the hills heading for Crossgates.

Soon after, fork off left onto the B917 and go to the west of Cowdenbeath heading for Kelty. Go straight through and out to a T junction and turn left onto the B996.

This will take you alongside the M90, and the road you are on is the Old A90 through Kinross, then the A922 through Milnathort, then the B996 again, a short spell on the A91 and back onto the B996 yet again, and down through Glen Farg.

The road turns into the A912 by the Bein Inn, and you go north into Bridge of Earn and into Perth.

As you enter the town, you come through parkland to traffic lights. Turn left or go straight on, or even left then next right. Whatever you do, do NOT cross the river.

You are looking for the A9 heading north and there are a variety of ways through the town as it’s a sort of grid system. I’ve cycled and also driven through many times, and each time I’ve gone a different way, so I can’t give a definitive route.

The A9 is a main road out of Perth, but it’s ok. It’s straight and fairly level there. You can peel off through Luncarty on a short stretch of the Old A9 if you want, but back onto the A9 soon after. Peel off onto the B667 for Bankfoot. This road eventually comes out on the A9 where you bear left then cross to the other side to go through Birnham and cross the River Tay into Dunkeld onto the A923

An alternative route from Luncarty goes onto B9099 for Stanley, then Murthley and then cross the River Tay and join the A984 into Dunkeld and join the A923. Although I have never tried this, it does look fine.

At the north end of Dunkeld, you go off the A923 and onto a minor road that follows the course of the A9. This is the Old A9 again. Keep going north to Dowally.

The road often becomes paths, and also minor roads, and you keep going - basically on the “wrong” side of the A9 - passing through Kindallachan into Ballinluig.

From here, you need to sort of double-back and climb out of the valley, then turn north again through Dalcapon and then back down and into Pitlochry. From there, you are on the Old A9 again and you go straight through the town.

Follow the B8019 and then the B8079 for Killiecrankie and Blair Athol. This is still the Old A9. Keep going to Calvine.

From now on, you are on closed roads but farm and local traffic can be on it. Keep going up and up to the Pass of Drumochter. It’s 1,500ft or so up there, bleak and open and wild. The tracks turn into paths, cross little wooden bridges, and use parts of the very old Old A9.

Alternatively, you can use the modern A9 but it is a fast and often busy road. Personally, I’d follow the paths and tracks, but get on the A9 every now an again. The paths often use parts of the A9 beyond the crash barrier and along laybys, so there are opportunities to get onto the A9 easily.

From the top of the pass, the road goes downhill at last! If you get onto the A9 when you can, you can utilise the long downhills to really get a move on along lovely smooth tarmac.

Look for the turnoff to the left for Dalwhinnie and head straight through. This is the Old A9 again.

At the far end of the village, the road goes over the railway but just before the bridge turn off to the right. This is again, the Old A9.

It peters out at Etteridge and you have to go on tracks and paths again but some of it is Old A9 still. This comes out onto the B9150, crosses the railway over a bridge, then enters Newtonmore on the A86 (still the Old A9). Keep going into Kingussie.

Beyond Kingussie, take the B9152 through Aviemore. Again, this is the Old A9. Keep going, and join the A95 and a couple of miles later, join the B9153 into Carrbridge.

Cross the river and turn left onto the A938. This too is the Old A9, but it turns and finishes as it joins the A9, but you can go straight on and up to Slochd summit. Again, the Old A9 is a bit neglected and closed to traffic, but it’s ok.

It peels off to the left onto a minor road off the A9 and goes into Tomatin crossing the Findhorne Bridge. From Tomatin, the route goes onto paths again following the A9.

A couple of miles later, cross the A9 onto the Old A9 via Moy on the B9154. This road doubles back a little beyond Moy, but it’s worth it.

You drop down to the A9 and have to cross to the other side, then follow this up the hill past Daviot. Stay on the A9 for about three miles and cross the A9 again onto the B9177 and follow it way way way downhill into Inverness.

Alternatively, stay on the A9, as the long long long downhill to Inverness is excellent. :-)
Mick F. Cornwall
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Got it again, thanks Mick.

I feel like saying: "are we there yet?" :roll:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You will be after you've read the final chapter. :D
My computer is busy with stuff so I can't access the file yet.
Later today maybe, fingers crossed.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chapter Six

The Kessock Bridge isn’t a nice cycling bridge, so cross it on the pavement side of the crash barriers. Make sure you are on the correct side of the road because you are looking for a way off to the left.

As soon as you come off the bridge, there is a way down to the west to the road along the north shore of the Beauly Firth through North Kessock and Charleston.

Follow the shore and head for Muir of Ord and turn right onto the Old A9 now A862 through Connan Bridge, Maryburgh and Dingwall to join the A9 at the north end of the Cromarty Bridge. Follow the A9 for less than two miles and turn off for Evanton B817 and into Alness.

The road goes over the A9 and into Invergordon. Still Old A9. Follow the north shore of the Cromarty Firth joining the A9 again at Milton and turn off it into Tain. Go straight through, back onto the A9, and cross the Dornoch Firth Bridge.

A couple of miles north of the Dornoch Bridge, you can turn right into Dornoch, then north to the southern shore of Loch Fleet following it back to the A9 at the head of the loch.

Other than this slight diversion, you can stay on the A9. I’ve done both, but the Loch Fleet route is prettier and very quiet indeed.

Continue north on the A9 into Golspie and Brora and to Helmsdale. You are now approximately 50miles away from JOG.

From Helmsdale, the A9 rises up over the Ord of Caithness and climbs steadily. The modern road is easier than the old road and you can pick out patches of it crossing bridges and sticking to the tight contours of the hillside.

Soon, you’ll be dropping way way down into Berridale. Again, you can see bits of the old road and at the bottom of the hill you can see the old bridge below. The road then zig-zags very steeply. This is probably the hardest hill on the whole of the LEJOG route.

At the top, rest.

Next place is Dunbeath. The modern road is easy - down to cross the river, then up the other side. Back in the day when I rode JOGLE 1994, the old road was still the main road, and it zig-zagged right down to the old bridge, then climbed steeply up the other side.

Keep going to Latheron, and join the A99 on the last leg via Lybster, Thrumster and Wick town centre. Cross the bridge, and head out past Wick Airport and turn right at Riess - signposted JOG.

Go through Kiess, Nybster and Freswick to the top of the hill and on a clear day you get a good view of the Orkney Islands.

All downhill into John o’ Groats.

That’s it!
About 890miles give or take, and it should take you ten or eleven days.

Thanks for reading!
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chapter Six

The Kessock Bridge isn’t a nice cycling bridge, so cross it on the pavement side of the crash barriers. Make sure you are on the correct side of the road because you are looking for a way off to the left.

As soon as you come off the bridge, there is a way down to the west to the road along the north shore of the Beauly Firth through North Kessock and Charleston.

Follow the shore and head for Muir of Ord and turn right onto the Old A9 now A862 through Connan Bridge, Maryburgh and Dingwall to join the A9 at the north end of the Cromarty Bridge. Follow the A9 for less than two miles and turn off for Evanton B817 and into Alness.

The road goes over the A9 and into Invergordon. Still Old A9. Follow the north shore of the Cromarty Firth joining the A9 again at Milton and turn off it into Tain. Go straight through, back onto the A9, and cross the Dornoch Firth Bridge.

A couple of miles north of the Dornoch Bridge, you can turn right into Dornoch, then north to the southern shore of Loch Fleet following it back to the A9 at the head of the loch.

Other than this slight diversion, you can stay on the A9. I’ve done both, but the Loch Fleet route is prettier and very quiet indeed.

Continue north on the A9 into Golspie and Brora and to Helmsdale. You are now approximately 50miles away from JOG.

From Helmsdale, the A9 rises up over the Ord of Caithness and climbs steadily. The modern road is easier than the old road and you can pick out patches of it crossing bridges and sticking to the tight contours of the hillside.

Soon, you’ll be dropping way way down into Berridale. Again, you can see bits of the old road and at the bottom of the hill you can see the old bridge below. The road then zig-zags very steeply. This is probably the hardest hill on the whole of the LEJOG route.

At the top, rest.

Next place is Dunbeath. The modern road is easy - down to cross the river, then up the other side. Back in the day when I rode JOGLE 1994, the old road was still the main road, and it zig-zagged right down to the old bridge, then climbed steeply up the other side.

Keep going to Latheron, and join the A99 on the last leg via Lybster, Thrumster and Wick town centre. Cross the bridge, and head out past Wick Airport and turn right at Riess - signposted JOG.

Go through Kiess, Nybster and Freswick to the top of the hill and on a clear day you get a good view of the Orkney Islands.

All downhill into John o’ Groats.

That’s it!
About 890miles give or take, and it should take you ten or eleven days.

Thanks for reading!
Mick F. Cornwall
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

And we even get to do the last leg twice, double the pain or the pleasure? :lol:

Thanks for all this Mick, something to work on over the next few months.

Ken.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Strange that eh?
I posted it, then it didn't go.
I've been fiddling with my computer software, so meanwhile it went twice! :lol:
Notice that there's 4mins between them.

Glad you enjoyed the read.
Mick F. Cornwall
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

I'm looking forward to cooler weather for riding so I'm hoping Britain will be in the midst of a 'cool wave' for my start in September.

I try to get in a 125 mile ride every other weekend to prepare for LeJog with more shorter rides in between, but yesterday at the start it was 75 degrees and by the time I finished my 70 miler it was 94 degrees at noon. I'm definitely wanting cooler conditions.

Ken J.
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

1. See various posts, including mine, in the earlier Burnham-on-Sea thread on the Ashton Court entry into Bristol (1), which is both more pleasant and a clearer way of getting up onto the Downs. The 'steep hill' Bridge Valley Road with its continuation past the zoo is busy, and fairly narrow. Ladies Mile is quieter and more direct than continuing past the zoo.

2. The only reasons to use the somewhat noisy, smelly Portway pavement cycle track are:
(i) If you want a view of the gorge from below.
(ii) As a level alternative to crossing the Downs, continuing to enter NW Bristol from the exit near Sea Mills station.

3. Strictly it is Old Passage you want for the Severn Bridge, Aust is on the opposite side of the A403.

4. Most of the main roads mentioned can be eliminated by means obvious on most maps and planners. Strawberry Line is now open again through Shute Shelve tunnel.

5. Filton and the A38!! It does get quieter as you go North, but outside town still becomes a 60 mph main road, and passing Filton a dual carriageway. Again, there are routes North on both sides, including from the Westbury and Blaise exits via Easter Compton, Olveston or Thornbury.

References

(1) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=119802&start=15#p1224854

Mick F wrote:Hi guys and good evening!

Chapter Two.

Carry on to Churchill and turn off left onto the B3133 for Congresbury and join the A370 for Bristol via Flax Burton and Long Ashton.

Join the A3029 at Ashton Gate and cross the River Avon onto the busy A4. Go under the Clifton Suspension Bridge, and through a tunnel, then off right up a steep hill to go past Bristol Zoo.

Chapter Three.

At this point, it’s worth stating that after going past Bristol Zoo, you can head out over the Severn Bridge and up the Wye Valley.

From the Zoo, you want to head north-west-ish to Westbury on Trym on the A4018 and minor roads for Easter Compton and Pilning to join the A403 for Aust.

At Aust - mainly just a service area for the M4 - you can find the pedestrian/cycle way over the Severn Bridge. Cross the bridge, ....

.... .....

If you don’t want to cross the Severn, head out past Bristol Zoo for Filton on the A38.

Stay on the A38, it is busy near Bristol, but gets quieter as you go north because the heavy through traffic is on the M5.

Keep going to Gloucester. .....
robing

Post by robing »

I have to say where you join the A49 south of Hereford to Leominster is a very unpleasant road to cycle.