LEJoG/JoGLE Budgets

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
rob39

LEJoG/JoGLE Budgets

Post by rob39 »

Hi all
wondering if anyone can give advice/estimates on budgets for an end to end 9 days self supported. Looking at 3 options camping, hostels, and B&B's or a combination of all. I understand its a far reaching question but any ball park figure will do.
Tigerbiten

Re: LEJoG/JoGLE Budgets

Post by Tigerbiten »

Cheap camping I'd recon on around £20 per day for everything, campsite fees and food, unless you're unlucky and find a silly expensive site.
If you like good food/drink add another £10 per day.
Hotels/B&B are more tricky, booked well in advance then £40-50 per day, pay as you go £50-60.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

When we did ours, we found that we spent £100 a day on average, all in, food, accom, evening meal, beer. That's staying in B&Bs and a few Travelodges, and that was for 2 people. But accom can be almost as expensive for one person. Accom is generally cheaper in Scotland and in the less-touristy areas further south, but we paid more in the Lake District and around Bristol and Penzance.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Igobybike

Post by Igobybike »

Isn't that a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' type question? The spend depends on how you do it and whether you do it alone and what sort of places you decide to eat. Ie. if you wild camp at the side of the road you'll spend very little for accommodation, if you buy food in the supermarkets and cook your own meals you probably won't spend more than you'd need to spend at home (on food), assuming you cook for yourself there. On the other hand if you stay at B&B's along the way and eat in restaurants it'll be a lot more, but twin rooms in B&B's tend to work out a lot cheaper per person if you're sharing between two than for single occupancy. And B&B's vary greatly in price. I think my planned two-week B&B trip is running at about £900 on B&B's and hotels, staying at the budget end of the market, but that's for two people so the spend will be around £450 each. Plus food and drink - eating in restaurants for dinner and sandwiches etc for lunch. Probably another £20~£25 per day at a guess, but I don't drink alcohol. I'm sure if I did that could add quite a lot more to the drinks bill :D Then again, since you have to eat and drink anyway whereever you are, should the cost of food and drink even come into it? :D
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

There was a similar thread couple of years ago, still worth looking at: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=104088&p=988929#p988384

As others have said, depends on how you want to do this and the main thing is to enjoy it.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
IrondadUK

Post by IrondadUK »

I've just booked my LEJoG for July this year. Train from home to LE, 6 days cycling with 7 nights Hostels and train home from JoG. All in for £223.50.
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

IrondadUK wrote:I've just booked my LEJoG for July this year. Train from home to LE, 6 days cycling with 7 nights Hostels and train home from JoG. All in for £223.50.

That sounds like good value. 7 nights and 2 train rides for £223.
It also sounds like a challenge to ride over 6 days.