LEJOG Offroad

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Ffellow

Re: LEJOG Offroad

Post by Ffellow »

Bits of it yes- I will be going down the centre. There is an excellent gpx that does go to the north east and ending at Plymouth. Have you seen it? Search EWE PLYMOUTH TO TYNEMOUTH
ffinlo
Username

Post by Username »

Mick F wrote:Welcome to the forum! :D

No advice, but it has been done. I'm sure I read on here somewhere that someone had done it, plus when I did my first JOGLE, I met a chap at JOG - or was it Helmsdale? - who told me he was doing it off-road. This was back in 1994 and I don't think Sustrans existed back then .......... I have no idea how he got on or what route he took.

1994! he's probably dead now. Nice to think he managed it tho.
d123456789p

Post by d123456789p »

Not seen that one!!
I was thinking Pennine bridleway.
Ffellow

Post by Ffellow »

If you want a series of gpx files for off-road jogle I have them- daily 50 miles and at least half and half. Doing it with my kids in July :-/
d123456789p

Post by d123456789p »

I would love to see them
Ffellow

Post by Ffellow »

PM me at ffinlo on instagram? Or suggest another way?

ff
d123456789p

Post by d123456789p »

PM sent
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

There are several "Pennine" options.

Pennine Way is a (mostly) footpath trail from Edale up to the Scottish Borders via Yorkshire Dales and Northumberland National Park. It's about 270-miles with 70-odd miles of that bridleway (not all well connected). Bits of the footpath are rideable with care (ie not on a Bank Holiday weekend!) but basically it's a walkers trail and a relatively busy one at that.

Then there's Pennine Bridleway which is a shorter route (about 200 miles) which goes from Middleton-by-Wirksworth (Derbyshire, about 20 miles SE of Buxton) up to Kirkby Stephen in Cumbria. It's obviously all open to bikes but some of it is really not suitable for touring or road bikes although I've done large parts of it on a CX bike. Within PB there are several feeder trails and add-ons like the Mary Townley Loop. It's very hilly! Nice though, especially the walled lanes through the Yorkshire Dales.

Adding to all the confusion there's the Pennine Cycleway which is a Sustrans route almost all on-road. It goes from Derby up through Holmfirth (via a couple of bits of traffic-free gravelled trail), on up through Hebden Bridge (via various bits of Pennine Bridleway & canal towpath), Colne & Barnoldswick in Lancashire and through North Yorkshire (Settle, Ingleton) before going into Cumbria via Dent, Appleby and on up to Berwick on Tweed. Total is about 350 miles with about 60-70 miles of that on traffic-free trails. Some of that is also very hilly, especially anything around Hebden Bridge and going from Yorkshire into Lancashire.

To be honest I wouldn't be using any of them in their entirety, some bits are not really appropriate on a laden touring bike, some bits are just a bit grim (most roads around Manchester....), some is really hilly. And some of it is really not a direct route!
There's a surprising amount of canal towpath options, especially around Manchester. One positive of the industrial revolution is the sheer amount of canal towpath radiating out of Manchester but it's slow - I average about 14mph at best on towpath (often a lot less) and that's on a CX bike. Conditions can be variable too - if it's rained in the past week chances are it'll be a quagmire of liquid gritty mud.

Within all of the above are various shorter named trails like Monsal Trail (Bakewell - Millers Dale), Tissington Trail (Ashbourne - Parsley Hay), High Peak Trail (Matlock - Buxton) all of which can be incorporated into longer rides. Monsal Trail is nice, it's a flat gravelled former railway line which saves a lot of hill work!