LEJOG Offroad

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
d123456789p

LEJOG Offroad

Post by d123456789p »

Hi

Has anyone done the LEJOG via offroad routes?
I did it last year on roads but fancy using the dark side!!!

Dave
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: LEJOG Offroad

Post by Mick F »

Welcome to the forum! :D

No advice, but it has been done. I'm sure I read on here somewhere that someone had done it, plus when I did my first JOGLE, I met a chap at JOG - or was it Helmsdale? - who told me he was doing it off-road. This was back in 1994 and I don't think Sustrans existed back then .......... I have no idea how he got on or what route he took.
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

irc

Post by irc »

d123456789p

Post by d123456789p »

Mick F wrote:Welcome to the forum! :D

No advice, but it has been done. I'm sure I read on here somewhere that someone had done it, plus when I did my first JOGLE, I met a chap at JOG - or was it Helmsdale? - who told me he was doing it off-road. This was back in 1994 and I don't think Sustrans existed back then .......... I have no idea how he got on or what route he took.

Thanks for the welcome!

I just fancy doing it in a longer more challenging (if it needs to be more challenging!!)
hilloverthehill

Post by hilloverthehill »

Hi Dave
I tried to do as much off-road as I could on my JOGLE in Oct/Nov 2015, and managed about 35% off road, and most of the rest on backroads. Off road sections included forest roads through Flow Country to Forsinard/ Great Glen Way / Ballachulish-Oban cycle path / old railways through Ayrshire / NCN74 along B7076 to Carlisle / Caldew Way / Lancaster Canal / bridgewater Canal / Trent & Mersey Canal / Coventry Canal / Green Way (Stratford) / Kennet & Avon Canal / Radstock - Kilmersden railway / Bridgewater & Taunton Canal / Grand Western Canal / Granite Way / Cornwall coast to coast. I tried to link these sections with minor roads, often NCN routes, which were really quiet but pretty hilly. Ended up doing nearly 2 Everests of ascent, but it was really good. I only had a road tourer which made some of the offroad stuff hard going, and if I did it again I'd probably have some knobby tyres. There's a blog on http://hilloverthehill.blogspot.co.uk if you want to check it out.
d123456789p

Post by d123456789p »

I will check that out thanks
I was thinking that the pennine way would be part of the route but I guess joining up the off-road sections usually involves local knowledge or quieter roads like you did
RickH

Post by RickH »

d123456789p wrote:I will check that out thanks
I was thinking that the pennine way would be part of the route but I guess joining up the off-road sections usually involves local knowledge or quieter roads like you did

Don't get mixed up between the "Pennine Way", which is largely on footpaths & therefore not legally cycleable, & the "Pennine Bridleway" on which cycling is allowed.

To confuse things further there is also the "Trans Pennine Trail" , which runs east-west across the country. I have heard a few people mistakenly refer to it as just the "Pennine Trail".
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
d123456789p

Post by d123456789p »

Looks like I was ready to make that mistake!!!!
What stop cycles using the Pennine Way....is it just down to walkers reporting cyclists/horses etc?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

d123456789p wrote:Looks like I was ready to make that mistake!!!!
What stop cycles using the Pennine Way....is it just down to walkers reporting cyclists/horses etc?

A lot of it is not cycleable, stony, steep, muddy

Are horses walkers, or something else?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

d123456789p wrote:Looks like I was ready to make that mistake!!!!

I've walked about a third to a half of the Pennine Way as parts of other walks and a significant amount will not be easily rideable, you will be pushing. You probably won't get reported, though I'm sure would hear some choice comments. Significant stretches of the Way already suffer erosion from walkers - riding a bike isn't going to help - so frankly you just shouldn't if you respect the countryside. And as someone has said - there is a Pennine Bridleway.
d123456789p

Post by d123456789p »

I was not aware of the bridleway AS WELL as the path so obviously I would respect the pathway and stick to the bridleways just will have to rethink the route. Do you know if the both start and finish near each other?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Kirby Stephen to Middleton Top
https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pennine-bridleway
I always recall lobbying a Cumbrian MP ( Tory of course) who was agin it. He told me it would facilitate a big increase in rural crime!
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Ffellow

Post by Ffellow »

I am about to do the route (jogle direction) cobbled together from online sources. I have a series of one day 50m segments as GPX files which I’d happily share. But also I would appreciate any local knowledge on the segments.
d123456789p

Post by d123456789p »

Gladly!!

I think though that I am nowhere near any routes you will knowledge from.
I live on the NE coast near Teeside and I assuming you will be travelling up the Pennine bridleway?