logistical logic check

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
althebike

logistical logic check

Post by althebike »

I hope to ride jogle soon, and wanted to run some things past you so you could either laugh at my logic or offer better solutions.
The plan is to do JOGLE as it I will not get stranded up north, it is easier to get home from Penzance. So a train to Thurso, ride to Dunnet head, JOG and back to Thurso . From then it is pretty much the B&B route back.
Last year I did a trial ride from Penzance to lands end and home, 322 miles in just over 3 days but both the bike and I finished a wreck.
I made, every schoolboy error on the way.
Lesson 1 is use the station lifts, I fell down an escalator and buckled a wheel and gear hanger before the ride had even started.
Lesson 2 Still not sure what to do about this, but I lose all appetite when I am riding, I rode the 322 miles with just 2 b&b stops and 2 cafe stops , I must find a way of taking solid food during a ride, so a piece of fruit, a piece of cake and something breadlike nature should be with me all ride.
Fav foods from Stores anyone?

No3 I do not know how far I will ride each day and this is stopping me from booking ahead for a bed. On the trip I went Penzance, LE and Princetown on day 1 but day 2 barely made Crediton, lots of walking the hills, gears changing badly after fall in railway station, and brake block jammed against rear wheel, so riding further because I feel good followed by bad day because I am tired is not a good option.
Some of the B&B seem far apart in Scotland Betty hill and Crask would be much too short a day, but the next batch of beds seem a long hop away,( and few of them)
I was concerned about washing shorts overnight in case they did not dry, I could bring 2 pairs with me, but the thought of damp shorts festering away in a bike bag while you ride in the dry ones..What do you guys do?
I will be riding unsupported with just some cash and credit card and basic change of clothes , and I an very inexperiences as you must have realised by now, any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks
charliepolecat

Re: logistical logic check

Post by charliepolecat »

I'm a little inclined to ask if your Mum has agreed to you doing this? You do seem to be a trifle accident and mistake prone. :?:

However, as long as you have sensible escape plans - means of getting home from anywhere on the route - and have a 'can do' attitude, I would say go for it and good luck.

So, to answer a few questions - with the caveat that there are those on this forum much better qualified - my programme is the other way round and expecting to continue riding back to Inverness where I will rent a car to drive back to London Heathrow.

I drink SPIZ on all my long rides and eat protein bars and when the need arises just about any carb loading junk food. Eating and drinking enough is always a problem for just about anyone and is a major cause of 'bonking' and the only advice is to time yourself and measure how much you have drunk and if you have not taken in enough, stop and swallow whatever is left that you should have drunk within that time frame, but never continue on in a state of depletion. The reality is that the body only absorbs 60% or so of the food and drink you take in, so practice is going to be fundamental for a successful ride.

Final suggestion for me, is to take a bike repair course, because it is likely you are going to need to make on the road fixes. BTW, I always carry at least three tubes, run on Continental Gatorskin tyres and have a packet of zip ties of various sizes - you can temporarily fix a broken chain with zip ties enough to get you to a bike shop if you don't carry a chain break tool and links.

When do you plan to do this ride? I suggest you tell everyone here so that they can be looking out for you, you might get adopted as the forum mascot. :)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

althebike wrote: ... Last year I did a trial ride from Penzance to lands end and home, 322 miles in just over 3 days but both the bike and I finished a wreck. ...

Point one is that you have demonstrated that this is well within your physical capabilities and coming back for more suggests you know how to deal with the little voices saying it's silly. I'm also impressed by the way you can identify mistakes and ask so frankly for advice.

If you have had a bad time along the way, insufficient food intake is very likely. Hunger knock, the bonk, whatever you call it is unpleasant and can only be avoided by eating before it strikes. Even if you do not feel hungry you must eat. If there's nothing available you fancy, even worse you are totally put off by what's available, I can only suggest get something down, even if it's only a bit of cake. A decent breakfast is a good idea and it doesn't have to be a full English. Also, don't forget hydration. The point here is that the prolonged exercise gradually lowers your blood sugar level and when it get below the line, it's whack! Fluid lost can also be imperceptible ie you don't have to be sweating profusely to become dehydrated during a long ride.

There's all sorts of energy foods and drinks available but keeping on top of the food and drink is ok.

The dilemma of deciding between the certainty of booking accommodation in advance and the reduction in flexibility it can impose in unlikely ever to be completely solved.

Enjoy your ride. :D
robgul

Post by robgul »

www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk - more resources and experiences in the Journals than you can shake a stick at!

Personal view from experience of E2E both ways* and numerous other multi-day tours is a realistic plan/distances taking account of terrain and book accommodation - the back-stop is then money and a taxi!

Rob
E2E webmaster

* I did JOGLE first as getting home was easier - last day was Penzance - LE at 1000 - Penzance - train with a change at Exeter to Birmingham and change for train to Stratford-upon-Avon .... in the pub having a beer at 2100. LEJOG required almost 2 days to get home.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
althebike

Post by althebike »

Thanks for advice ,
My mother passed away a long while ago. I am 67 but an utter novice riding solo ,I did half a dozen rides with a touring club last summer and thought that had taught me enough to go alone.
Still being a mascot os better than not being one<smile>
As soon as I see a settled spell coming, I will be off, I cannot fit panniers or anything on my bike, so room is limited, my seat post bag is half full just by putting evening wear sandles in it, I do not care if it is hot or cold or windy, I just want to avoid any storms ( ha ha what a hope)
On the previous ride I used half strength energy drinks, it got very sickly after a while, for jogle I will have an electrolyte and energy drink bottles.Maybe I can hire someone to hold me down and force feed me at the end of every day.
I stayed at the plume of feathers Princetown, on the the prev.ride, although they were serving food, and I had ridden well over 100 miles, I could not eat anything, it was just bath and bed,
The Jogle is broken down into 25 mile chunks, so I can chose to do around 50 or 75 miles a day, with each stop by a cafe or store , hopefully I can phone from the 2nd stop to book somewhere to stay at the end of the 3rd segment. The garmin I used for the cornwall ride kept switching off during the ride, which is why I have broken this down into small chunks.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Have porridge for breakfast with yoghurt, rice pudding
No need for solid foods when riding, rice pudding again, bananas maybe, fruit juice has some energy value
And yoghurt, I love those 500 g pots in the summer, lots of varieties with fruit and sugar :wink:

Maybe you are even lucky, you could have a big breakfast and supper and not eat much during the day
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Bear in mind that the A9 is in the process of being dualled. Keep an eye on Transport Scotland for information on where works will be at the time of your ride.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
althebike

Post by althebike »

Thank you Cyril Haearn,
I do lose all appetite when cycling, but milky stuff seems OK , I do not like the English breakfasts at guest houses, in fact I do not know anyone who eats an English breakfast unless they are staying in a B&b. I never thought of milk puddings, if I can find some with a ring pull top I will certainly go for it.I am OK with fruit too, it sits light .
althebike

Post by althebike »

Thank you for the heads up bogmyrtle,
I completed the route about an hour ago, after checking it on Google street view, to make sure the roads were really roads.

The Scotland route goes from Thurso to Dunnet Head JOG and back to Thurso on day 1
Day2 Thurso, bettyhill altnahara, crask inn and maybe invershin
Day3 Evanton, Inverness, Cawdor, Tomatin
Day 4 Grantown on spey cock bridge and braaemar
Day 5 Murthly and Perth ( would like to avoid but seems dense with choices of places to stay)
Day 6 Kelty Edinburgh Innerleithen
Day 7 Langholm, gretna

So no earth shattering distances or record braking times , but quiet roads and it seems big distances between possible places to stay and places to replenish supplies, the challenge looks seems as hard getting my head around logistics as it will riding it.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

althebike wrote:Lesson 2 Still not sure what to do about this, but I lose all appetite when I am riding, I rode the 322 miles with just 2 b&b stops and 2 cafe stops , I must find a way of taking solid food during a ride, so a piece of fruit, a piece of cake and something breadlike nature should be with me all ride.
Fav foods from Stores anyone?

I don't know about breadlike but I can also suffer from not feeling hungry when hot and on hot days though knowing I'm burning calories. My solution is ice-cream and/or tinned fruit. Both are very easy to eat and slip down easily. Though neither is going to win any health food contests they are high in sugar and ice-cream isn't bad for protein either. Tinned fruit often has ring pulls nowadays and something like peaches in syrup is easy to gulp down. Frankly for a short term fix (until you eat something substantial and decent in the evening) it works for me.