Route advice, Cicerone vs Google Maps

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
PhilPub

Route advice, Cicerone vs Google Maps

Post by PhilPub »

Hi all,

We're heading off at the weekend, largely following the Cicerone 14 day route. The overall route is non-negotiable since we've pre-booked all accommodation along the way. (With just a couple of minor detours to stay with relatives in Somerset and Liverpool.) BUT in checking on the details of the Cicerone route from Carlisle to Gretna Green, I couldn't help thinking that the Google recommended cycle route, besides being a couple of miles shorter, seems a little more pleasant. Cicerone has you going straight up the A7 and into Gretna via Longtown, whereas Google sends you further West along what looks like a more minor country lane, then alongside the M6. So a couple of queries, one specific, one more general:

- A7 or Google route?
- If anyone has followed/knows the Cicerone route, would you recommend any particular alternative routes along the way? Is it worth comparing Google alternatives each morning? I've got Google Maps on the phone, but also have the Cicerone route as daily GPX routes on the Ride with GPS app (plus the paperback book as back-up), so navigation won't be an issue.

n.b. "We" is me and my girlfriend. I've definitely got a higher tolerance for cycling on busy roads and being blown around by lorries. For the sake of harmony, "we" would prefer to stick to quieter roads if they're going in roughly the right direction! :D

Ta!
robgul

Re: Route advice, Cicerone vs Google Maps

Post by robgul »

How old is your Cicerone guide?

There is now (since at least 2010) a great and direct route to the west of the A74/M6 whatever they call it now.

Go from the centre of Carlisle towards the M6 junction to the north and there's a retail park and McDonalds on the left - there's then a blue-signed route off to the left that takes you to Gretna on quiet roads parallel to the motorway.*.

Rob

* ... my 2005 JOGLE had us riding on what was then the A74 before they called it a motorway - just rode along the hard-shoulder perfectly legally :D
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
PhilPub

Post by PhilPub »

robgul wrote:How old is your Cicerone guide?

There is now (since at least 2010) a great and direct route to the west of the A74/M6 whatever they call it now.

Go from the centre of Carlisle towards the M6 junction to the north and there's a retail park and McDonalds on the left - there's then a blue-signed route off to the left that takes you to Gretna on quiet roads parallel to the motorway.*.

Rob

* ... my 2005 JOGLE had us riding on what was then the A74 before they called it a motorway - just rode along the hard-shoulder perfectly legally :D

Cicerone is Copyright 2012, "reprinted 2014 (with updates)".

The roads parallel to the motorway shave even more distance off and it looks pleasant enough. Thanks!
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Phil, I'm doing the same route - unless I like Micks better - so please let us know how it goes and hope you have a great time.

Thanks. Ken J.
PhilPub

Post by PhilPub »

charliepolecat wrote:Phil, I'm doing the same route - unless I like Micks better - so please let us know how it goes and hope you have a great time.

Thanks. Ken J.

Thanks Ken! I've not seen much on here regarding detailed thoughts on the Cicerone route, so I'll aim to do a write-up when we get back.