Train from Inverness to London

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Train from Inverness to London

Post by Mick F »

PS:
Another story, but a JOGLE one rather than LEJOG.

I wanted to get my bike and my trailer to JOG and fly to Wick from Exeter.
As it happens, I couldn't fly due to the Icelandic volcano incident, so took the train.

My bike + trailer was put on a pallet, wrapped up in black film, and put on a lorry as freight. It was sent to Wick Airport and the people at Far North Aviation were expecting it and took receipt when it arrived. It was sent a few days before I left on the train.

I took the train to Edinburgh and stayed overnight at the YHA on Leith Walk, then the following morning took the Wick train via Inverness. I checked in at the B+B there, and the following morning made my way to Wick Airport, collected my bike + trailer, put it all together, cycled to JOG and back to Wick, stayed overnight again, then made my way south.

The kind people at Far North Aviation disposed of my pallet and wrapping.
All organised by telephone prior to the whole escapade. The cost to ship was free as I was doing the ride for charity, but I was told that it would have cost about £60 all the way from Tavistock to Wick.

https://www.ijmcgilltransport.com/contact-us/tavistock/
http://www.farnorthaviation.co.uk

I wouldn't hesitate do this again if and when I do a JOGLE again, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this method to other folk.
I don't know if you could do this the other way round for Land's End Airport, but it's worth asking IMO.

Simple and easy.
Mick F. Cornwall
althebike

Post by althebike »

I have just booked the London to Inverness for Tue. I rang British rail who transferred me to the caladonian sleeper bookings. They got me a man and bike for £50 in just a few minutes.
Trainline quoted £176 with 2 changes for the same train.
I know business tries to get as much income as it can, but the wide variations in rail and air fares make me feel people are being cheated. Whether or not you agree depends of whether you are the buyer or seller.
Ron

Post by Ron »

althebike wrote:I have just booked the London to Inverness for Tue. I rang British rail who transferred me to the caladonian sleeper bookings. They got me a man and bike for £50 in just a few minutes..

Yes, that's the standard price for a seat on the sleeper, bikes go free but must be booked. I trust you are aware that fare does not include a sleeping berth or breakfast.

https://www.sleeper.scot/js/#/caledonian/fares
puffin

Post by puffin »

I used it last Friday to get back from LEJOG. There was no ticket to attach to my bike, so I emailed the company and they responded very quickly saying its OK the guard knows. The team on the train were excellent, really helpful and welcoming. The stock is old (not a patch on the Riviera Sleeper) there's no TV in your cabin, no WIFI. It is being replaced next year.

There was no food on the train due to a power cut, but many of us were emailed first and I stocked up on the reduced stuff at a nearby Co Op.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

althebike wrote:I have just booked the London to Inverness for Tue. ... caladonian sleeper bookings. They got me a man and bike for £50 in just a few minutes. Trainline quoted £176 with 2 changes for the same train.

It can't have been the same train if there were two changes - the Sleeper goes directly, without changes, from London to Inverness. Trainline may have been offering a daytime service with changes, or the Glasgow/Edinburgh sleeper then day trains north from there.
PH

Post by PH »

I've booked London > Inverness, daytime midweek in July, for £41.80, not a cycling trip though I'll have a folder with me
London > Birmingham (Moor St) with Chiltern £7
Birmingham > Glasgow £22
Glasgow > Inverness £11.80

Not the fastest route and I get a couple of hours between trains to look around Glasgow, but I have all day and I'll take a book :wink:
There was a £6 cheaper option, though it left little time to get between Moor St and New St in Birmingham