Lejogers, beware of an idiot.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
thirdcrank

Lejogers, beware of an idiot.

Post by thirdcrank »

Sorry for the Daily Mail link but there's an idiot who's done it in under ten hours.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... roats.html

(I deliberated a bit before putting it in this section :? )
eileithyia

Re: Lejogers, beware of an idiot.

Post by eileithyia »

Got a bit of a going over by Vanessa, esp as apparently the av speed was 91mph.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

I look forward to the criminal trial and subsequent crushing of his vehicle :roll:
"42"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

squeaker wrote:I look forward to the criminal trial and subsequent crushing of his vehicle :roll:

If we're lucky,but due to the ineffective policing in the UK we'll be unlucky IMO :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Confession time.

I used to commute from here in Cornwall to Glasgow every couple of weeks and back.
A390/A386/A30/M5/M6/M74/M73/M8 and into Ibrox where I lived in rented accommodation.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.85269 ... 312!8i6656

I left here at home at 9pm and set out on the above route at a steady 85mph on the motorways. Non-stop all the way, and got in at Ibrox Terrace at 3am.
6hrs to do the 500miles door to door.
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

What amazes me is that he took as long as 10 hours - after all you can do it on a bike in not much more than that - 44 hours or so. I mean this seriously: if anything shows the potential of cycling this must be it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
NEvans

Post by NEvans »

squeaker wrote:I look forward to the criminal trial and subsequent crushing of his vehicle :roll:

CPS (Criminal Prosecution Service) are very wary of taking cases like this to court unless they have other evidence. IE. Other cameras such as number plate recognition ones showing him in different locations within a certain timespan.

I hate to say it but I don't think anything will happen, he'll have bragging rights until someone beats it, and they'll be other ******** out there trying.
Newton's first law; Large body mass and weight equals fast going down hill but slow going up,
So blame Newton not me when you're bored waiting at the top of the hill.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If I've read my link correctly, these antics took place last September, so unless proceedings have already been started, it sounds like no NIP has been served and summary proceedings are out of time etc.....
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

NEvans wrote:

CPS (Criminal Prosecution Service) are very wary of taking cases like this to court unless they have other evidence. IE. Other cameras such as number plate recognition ones showing him in different locations within a certain timespan.

I hate to say it but I don't think anything will happen, he'll have bragging rights until someone beats it, and they'll be other ******** out there trying.

There are a number of ways to tug this particular collar....

Are the modifications legal?
Have the modifications been notified to the insurance company?
Then there are the foreign plates- they have restrictions on use

Just prove the insurance is invalid would be enough to confiscate the car and prosecute
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Should one believe everything in the dm?
To reach that average he must have often gone much faster, surely law-abiding motons could have blocked him in, maybe on the M6 by Warrington where there is always a jam, and called the cops

Could a dm report be used as evidence for prosecution? Could the paper be prosecuted for glorifying crime?

Who will be the new dm editor?

Didn't read the whole article, did anyone spot what make of vehicle was used?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Should one believe everything in the dm?
To reach that average he must have often gone much faster, surely law-abiding motons could have blocked him in, maybe on the M6 by Warrington where there is always a jam, and called the cops

Could a dm report be used as evidence for prosecution? Could the paper be prosecuted for glorifying crime?

Fairly obvious the muppet is far too dangerous, inconsiderate and stupid to drive a BMW

"Audi..... for when your driving is too crap for a BMW"
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

bmw
bin masslos wichtig
i am unbelievably impotent (important?)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think that this might amount to a public nuisance. This is judge-made law rather than an Act of Parliament. This seems to be the current definition:
A person is guilty of a public nuisance (also known as common nuisance), who (a) does an act not warranted by law, or (b) omits to discharge a legal duty, if the effect of the act or omission is to endanger the life, health, property or comfort of the public, or to obstruct the public in the exercise or enjoyment of rights common to all Her Majesty’s subjects.

As a common law misdemeanour, the maximum punishment is theoretically life imprisonment.

It's a controversial area of the law and the CPS might be slow to act. eg The events seem only to have come to light as the result of the person involved bragging, rather than complaints from members of the public along the route, but who knows how many witnessed it, reported it, or were fobbed off?

This law was the subject of a report by the Law Commission in 2015. I know nothing about the result of that.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... okmark.pdf
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cunobelin wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Should one believe everything in the dm?

Fairly obvious the muppet is far too dangerous, inconsiderate and stupid to drive a BMW

"Audi..... for when your driving is too crap for a BMW"

Round here fiat 500 drivers are the worst but I doubt he'd have made that record in one of those. Plus (chauvinist comment but honest one alert) they're usually driven round here by young women who prefer looking at their phones or at themselves in the mirror than driving safely. BTW the mirror is a curious one, how do I know they're looking at themselves? Well you know when you stop at lights and you can see the face of the driver in the rear view mirror of the car ahead, well I often can't see a face in such cars. I make the assumption they've moved it to get a better view of themselves than the fact they don't know how to adjust it. Either could be true. (PS in being obviously unfair because I encountered a particularly dodgy fiat 500 driver this morning so I am highly prejudiced today).

With so many constabulary areas crossed and two legal systems too, will there not be an issue with which police force is responsible for investigating it? Or will it be first past the post with a reasonable case? Assuming any force actually bothers of course.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Rising crime rates in Britain will ensure very little police interest in this episode, but then there appears to be very little police interest or action taken in any street crime.