Cicerone End to End route review

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Jamesh

Re: Cicerone End to End route review

Post by Jamesh »

Unless you want to go via cheddar and Bristol airport why don't people go via clevedon, portishead over Avon mouth bridge and onto seven bridge? Seems alot easier apart from getting to clevedon via a38 a370???

Cheers James
scarletnut

Post by scarletnut »

Did this last September and reviewed it somewhere on the Forum... but in terms of busy roads I think out of Plymouth is the worst section and even that now has a cyclepath for 4 to 5 miles so is better than the book suggests. Oddly I found late afternoon going around St Austell one of the busiest and worst sections.....I planned the ride so that Bristol around to Monmouth was on a Sunday so the whole leg was brilliant and the Avonmouth to Severn Bridge was great!! This even worked for the Glasgow leg a week later on a Saturday.
Windermere to Ambleside was also a manic 4 miles or so and I just regularly stopped to let traffic past. otherwise enjoy!!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

PhilPub wrote:Day 12, between Fort William and Fort Augustus. "You will find that the NCN78 has a reasonably good, shale-type surface, ideally suited for hybrid and touring bicycles, although road bicycles can navigate the track but will need to use extra care to avoid punctures." Hahaaa! Sorry but I refuse to believe that since the book was updated in 2014 that the surface could have deteriorated to such an extent that large portions of it are completely unridable on anything but an MTB with suspension.

It only takes Forestry types with big tree-munching machines a few weeks to make a complete mess of any tracks - far shorter than the time it takes to update and republish a guide. It's a risk you take with most forest tracks.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

The new 2021 edition has changed the route apparently: anyone tried it out or just read it yet care to comment?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Planning lejog

Post by Planning lejog »

I am not very technical when it comes to kit.

I have no sense of direction and need to be able to see the map or hear instructions without having having to constantly tap on a screen to make it come alive.

I currently just use strava on my phone (but screen goes blank) or started to create Google maps of my routes. Send them to my phone and then follow these when I ride.

But was hoping to find an easier solution to hear / see the route when I do the cicerone route for lejog later this year. Otherwise I think I will spend a lot of time getting slightly lost.

Any kit suggestions?
Planning lejog

Post by Planning lejog »

I am not very technical when it comes to kit.

I have no sense of direction and need to be able to see the map or hear instructions without having having to constantly tap on a screen to make it come alive.

I currently just use strava on my phone (but screen goes blank) or started to create Google maps of my routes. Send them to my phone and then follow these when I ride.

But was hoping to find an easier solution to hear / see the route when I do the cicerone route for lejog later this year. Otherwise I think I will spend a lot of time getting slightly lost.

Any kit suggestions?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Planning lejog wrote: 5 Jan 2022, 12:57pm I am not very technical when it comes to kit.

Any kit suggestions?
How quickly does your screen go blank, and have you tried changing the settings?

How about a dedicated satnav with a turn-by-turn display?

Jonathan
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Planning lejog wrote: 5 Jan 2022, 12:57pm I am not very technical when it comes to kit.

Any kit suggestions?
Garmin Edge Explore: https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/611996

Used to be called the Touring, this is an updated model. By the way that link above...it can be found a lot cheaper, I got mine on Amazon with 24hr delivery for £150 (special offer, next time I looked it was up at about £180).

There are several threads on here about using GPS units, one here related to the Edge Explore: viewtopic.php?t=148600

Basically you create your route on whatever cycle mapping site you use - Strava, Ride With GPS, Cycle.Travel, Komoot etc - import it to the device and then tell it to ride that route. It'll flag turns, show you where you've been and where you need to go as lines on a map and it's got a compass plus the usual cycle features like speed / distance / average speed / time of day etc all on a customisable screen so you can choose how much info to see.

There's this thread about more general aspects of navigation as well.
viewtopic.php?t=146472
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Hi Planning, I suggest using paper cue sheets, I do.
Planning lejog

Post by Planning lejog »

I must say cue sheets don't appeal. I'd like something that will do the work for me. Thanks for the garmin link I'm new to this forum but there is loads of good info on here :D
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

The guidebook and route discussed above has since been replaced by a new one with a new set of downloadable GPX files for both Lejog and JogLe. [https://www.cicerone.co.uk/cycling-land ... oats-third]
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I have the older version by Nick Mitchell (2012), so I will order this new version. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Just ordered the Cicerone End to End, although I am disappointed to find I have to be a 'member' to get the GPX routing.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Enigmadick wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 10:06am The guidebook and route discussed above has since been replaced by a new one with a new set of downloadable GPX files for both Lejog and JogLe. [https://www.cicerone.co.uk/cycling-land ... oats-third]
Seeing as you appear to be the author:

Has a new crossing / ramp been added to go from ncn55 too leeds liverpool canal south of Adlington?

And has the ncn55 syrface north of red rock been improved from the huge rock lumps there in 2017?.....I gave up and used the canal towpath instead.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Answers to above:

1. Nope - still a steepish ramp that required a push up. Might need a bit of portage if heavily laden.

2. Can't remember the gravel being the problem but the deep mud caused by 4x4 drivers on the first few hundred yards after Red Rocks. Suggested an alternative along the A5106 and Regional Route 91 to avoid it if if necessary.

Hope this helps.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett