What's the flattest way out of Cornwall and Devon

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Alan58

Re: What's the flattest way out of Cornwall and Devon

Post by Alan58 »

Cycling or walking? Good question: I only have one leg that works so walking would be difficult. I am recumbent triking does that count?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Alan58 wrote:Cycling or walking? Good question: I only have one leg that works so walking would be difficult. I am recumbent triking does that count?

Of course it does, +1

Just like riding an UpWrong, one is sitting or lying for hours, one should always stand during meal breaks :wink:

The flattest way out would be to walk along the beach of course, if there is a beach
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
A7 Simon

Post by A7 Simon »

I took Mick F's "100 feet of climbing per mile in Cornwall" as a starting point.

We got out of Cornwall in 98 miles with 6760 feet of climbing. (Figures from Garmin Montana)
68 feet per mile.

We are not good at hills.

Two things helped: low gears on the bikes, and going VERY slowly (3 mph) when in bottom gear.

Once out of Devon and Cornwall you don't really come across anything as bad again.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Going down steep hills is even worse than going up
I do wish the laws of physics might be changed so one could cycle uphill without having to ride down again :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NEvans

Post by NEvans »

philvantwo wrote:Are you cycling or walking? :|

Cycling, except on steep hills and then its walking pushing a bike!

I believe opinion is the A30 should be missed where possible. And understand what is awaiting you in Cornwall and Devon. A hard start to a nice ride, I just want to enjoy the ride from the start.

The Lizard and Dartmoor both sound excellent places to include but appreciate the extra time/effort this may require. Maybe breaking it down to something like how the CTCs organised ride does it, of Riding from Redruth and back again for day 1. Maybe a loop round the top half via St Ives and back along the south coast via the Lizard. Although I don't know the actual distance of it.
Newton's first law; Large body mass and weight equals fast going down hill but slow going up,
So blame Newton not me when you're bored waiting at the top of the hill.
A7 Simon

Post by A7 Simon »

To add to what I said yesterday.
Obviously hilliness after Cornwall and Devon depends on your route.

I thought I had it sorted until we did Bettyhill to Thurso today

Just like a bit of Cornwall again after 900 miles.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A7 Simon wrote:I took Mick F's "100 feet of climbing per mile in Cornwall" as a starting point.

We got out of Cornwall in 98 miles with 6760 feet of climbing. (Figures from Garmin Montana)
68 feet per mile.

We are not good at hills.

Two things helped: low gears on the bikes, and going VERY slowly (3 mph) when in bottom gear.

Once out of Devon and Cornwall you don't really come across anything as bad again.
Yep. :D
Most of UK is flat - or flat compared to here.

I ride circular rides - home back to home - and as we live in a steep and deep valley, it's a couple of miles to the top. Trouble is, there's a series of the valleys, so you go up and down and up and down one way, then back home up and down and up and down the same valleys back. The trouble is in Cornwall at Devon, is that the rivers run north/south and they bend this way and that so there's no way of avoiding them. 3mph up some of the hills is normal and 100ft per mile is normal too.

LE to Bridgwater along my recommended route is 170miles with 10,200ft of ascent. That's 60ft per mile overall, and as the ride levels out after Tiverton, it's an easy ride. :D
Mick F. Cornwall