grand depart

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Paulatic

Re: grand depart

Post by Paulatic »

the Gordon Arms hotel , don't ask me where this was, but it was about 15 miles south of Innerliethen,

It’s at the crossroads of A708 and B709 heading south you then climb to Berrybush. Heading north you climb Paddy Slacks.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Thanks. Given the precarious nature of available accommodation - even those you booked ahead - would you take a bivvy in case of need next time?
althebike

Post by althebike »

A bivvy would take the stress out of finding accommodation, but I do not have an out and out touring bike, and room is limited.I cannot fit panniers.
I had a bar bag that contained a pair of trainers stuffed with socks, gillet and arm warmers ( what a joke ) and a waterproof jacket. I had a pod on the frame top bar which had a phone, wallet and a gel, an aplkit seat post bag which got trashed on day 2 when it slipped on to the back wheel and burned through a strap making a big hole in the bag , it burned through my ride notes and even took a whole corner off my plastic power pack. I know the straps need retightening a short while after fitting, but i got it wrong and could not keep them tight enough .I am glad the tire withstood it because I was riding tubeless and my repair kit only stretched as far as a small tube of flexi glue
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

althebike wrote:Went from Thurso to dinner head jog and back to Thurso on day 1 no one knew where the visitors book was I signed one in the coffee shop but it did not seem to be the real one I waited a while expecting cyclists to be coming in and out all the time

A couple of weeks ago Mrs FW and I were up in Scotland on a mini tour which involved a trip to JoG and Dunnet head. I enquired about the signing in books as I wanted to let Mrs FW see my entries. no one seems to know where they are, the lady in the tourist info office has a visitors book but as she says anyone can sign it! Quite sad really, is the same true at Lands End Hotel do they still have the books?

Just to add we were driving not on the bike
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Your are suggesting maybe that there is a dedicated book for enders..................maybe a virtual online AP one would be better?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Your are suggesting maybe that there is a dedicated book for enders..................maybe a virtual online AP one would be better?

There were a set of books at Lands End and John o'Groats . A couple weeks ago Mrs FW and I were in JoG and I looked for the books, no sign of them anywhere. The only book I found was in the tourist info office but as the lady said "anyone can sign it" Disapointing as Id was looking forward to showing Mrs FW my entries. No one seemed to know where the original books are.
althebike

Post by althebike »

I did not want anyone to say, if you did the ride it would be recorded and it is'nt, so you did'nt
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

But you know you did it and that is really all that matters, recorded or not. :D
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

charliepolecat wrote:But you know you did it and that is really all that matters, recorded or not. :D

Aye and with pictures to prove it :lol:
althebike

Post by althebike »

This can get addictive, I have had a little rest and I am ready to do it again.I have spent so much time musing over maps, routes, logistics, travel , equipment , it has left a huge hole in my day.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
althebike wrote:I did not want anyone to say, if you did the ride it would be recorded and it is'nt, so you did'nt

Any one who knows you will accept your word on it.
Its a personal ride for yourself anyway, to me its personal satisfaction, no more.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
puffin

Post by puffin »

In June I asked in the gift shop to sign the book, they sent me down to the swish newish coffee shop, the Storehouse, right opposite the famous JOG sign post. They weren't sure, but rummaged around and found a book, to my regret I didn't have my readers with me to check my old entries but noticed it didn't appear to have been signed for a while. I wrote an entry as best i could without glasses. It was the day of Storm hector....so I had made great time :) but was still a bit knackered to write neatly.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Paulatic wrote:
the Gordon Arms hotel , don't ask me where this was, but it was about 15 miles south of Innerliethen,

It’s at the crossroads of A708 and B709 heading south you then climb to Berrybush. Heading north you climb Paddy Slacks.

Its a great hotel, and used to hosting cyclists. If you're heading North, it comes at the end of a brilliant long descent after Ettridge.
althebike

Post by althebike »

Although I went over more rugged terrain, nice coastlines and mountain ranges, I think the area around this hotel was the nicest of the whole route. The high green rolling hills, with distant sheep doing their thing, quite roads , this is almost cycling heaven. The hotel was spacious, clean and not expensive, and worth it for the view alone.