Skipping a Stage of the End to End

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
robing

Re: Skipping a Stage of the End to End

Post by robing »

How much time have you got?
stan.forums

Post by stan.forums »

We have 12 days left
robing

Post by robing »

That's heaps of time! You don't need to skip anything.
I did the whole thing in 10 :wink:
stan.forums

Post by stan.forums »

Perhaps you did it in 10 days, but the missus and I are on Bromptons and we are on vacation, not the same kind of trip like you did.
robing

Post by robing »

Even so, I reckon you've only got to do 50 miles a day to get to jog in 12 days. And you've done the hardest part.
stan.forums

Post by stan.forums »

Thank You, that is very encouraging.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Good luck, I hope you are enjoying it. Taking the time is a good way to enjoy seeing Britain by bike. :D
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

beginning to wonder if there are any parts of the route worth riding through. Maybe just get a train from one end to the other?

Sometimes traffic and road surfaces and urban sprawl just make some historic cycling routes no longer feasible. Is LeJog becoming that?

Go to Europe instead.Infinetly better facilities and the motorists do not hate the sight of you.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Go to Europe instead.Infinetly better facilities and the motorists do not hate the sight of you.

Any suggestions for routes you have ridden?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

charliepolecat wrote:

Europe? Do you mean "The Mainland"? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
robing

Post by robing »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
charliepolecat wrote:

Europe? Do you mean "The Mainland"? :wink:

Well, we won't be part of Europe for much longer :(
I wonder how the OP is getting on. Don't envy them in this heat. I timed my LEJOG just right and finished before the heatwave really hit, although it did lead to delays on the trains coming home.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

At least you will only have this 'heat wave' for a few days. Here the daytime temperature is nudging 100 every day with overnights in the 80's. This makes it very hard to train for any long distance riding.
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

I did LEJOG via Preston A6 to Gretna, across to Ardrossan, ferry to Arran - Brodick. Lochranza to Clanoig - Oban - Corran across the loch to avoid Ft William (very pretty road on this side and you can hear the traffic roaring around Ft William on the other side) - Mallaig ferry to Armadale - Kyle - Dingwall - Bonar Bridge - Lairg - Bettyhill - JoG.
Very picturesque, see the islands, quiet roads, only busy bit was Thurso/Dounreay about knocking off time.
I'd highly recommend it from the landscape/ quiet roads point of view. Completely avoids Glasgow and busy roads to Inverness etc.
Haven't checked but I don't think the extra mileage would be much at all
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Thanks, I'll look at that as an alternative route. I wasn't looking forward to going through Ft. William anyway.
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

wearwell wrote:I did LEJOG via Preston A6 to Gretna, across to Ardrossan, ferry to Arran - Brodick. Lochranza to Clanoig - Oban - Corran across the loch to avoid Ft William (very pretty road on this side and you can hear the traffic roaring around Ft William on the other side) - Mallaig ferry to Armadale - Kyle - Dingwall - Bonar Bridge - Lairg - Bettyhill - JoG.
Very picturesque, see the islands, quiet roads, only busy bit was Thurso/Dounreay about knocking off time.
I'd highly recommend it from the landscape/ quiet roads point of view. Completely avoids Glasgow and busy roads to Inverness etc.
Haven't checked but I don't think the extra mileage would be much at all
Also not particularly hilly. Steepest was a blip alongside Loch Carron but it wasn't a long one. I had to get off and push (full loaded camping gear etc) for the first and only time of the whole trip. Cornwall was the hilliest part, but less steep.