Skipping a Stage of the End to End

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Vorpal

Re: Skipping a Stage of the End to End

Post by Vorpal »

robing wrote:Well, we won't be part of Europe for much longer :(

We cannot escape geology ;)

Brexit only means the UK leaves the EU. The UK cannot leave Europe, unless something happens to the continental shelf. Then, I think we have worse problems than Brexit.

To the OP, carry on, enjoy the ride, and let us know if you manage the whole thing. 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

just found this thread but I believe we met the OP just north of the Kessock Bridge. From Israel and doggedly following the Cicerone route. They were disappointed at our volumes of traffic and had expected the route to be like a eurovelo.
Attachments
D1F0D608-9A19-4B54-B04B-E48765670319.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

Paulatic wrote:just found this thread but I believe we met the OP just north of the Kessock Bridge. From Israel and doggedly following the Cicerone route. They were disappointed at our volumes of traffic and had expected the route to be like a eurovelo.

I did LEJOG in the late 1980s and my impression then was that it was more of an "achievement" and "challenge" rather than a pleasant trip. You really have to do some serious detours to stick to halfway quiet roads, which is the sort of road I want for quality cycling.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

You are not by any chance the Israeli couple we met on our own lejog just north of Inverness at the pie shop?

DOH! .... just seen your post Paul.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pwa wrote:
Paulatic wrote:just found this thread but I believe we met the OP just north of the Kessock Bridge. From Israel and doggedly following the Cicerone route. They were disappointed at our volumes of traffic and had expected the route to be like a eurovelo.

I did LEJOG in the late 1980s and my impression then was that it was more of an "achievement" and "challenge" rather than a pleasant trip. You really have to do some serious detours to stick to halfway quiet roads, which is the sort of road I want for quality cycling.

I must admit that it os one ride I have never really felt inspired to do

Over the years we have cycled the English Coast, and then extended Coast and Castles along the canals between Edinburgh and Glasgow, and back down the Scottish coast to Carlisle. We have also cycled along the Glens as far as Inverness. We have also crossed the country at several pints including the C2C and from St Davids to Dover

Unfortunately Illness now means that I will probably be completing the Scottish Coast by car as neither my wife or I are up to these trips now (Having said that my new hip is doing well, so I may reconsider at some point)

I just don't fancy the busy routes on the LEJOG

But more on topic. I originally did the "New Riders of the Open Road" trip from Berwick to Hull, but had to give up on the Scarborough - Hull part due to a frame failure on the APB.....for about 4 years it was a gap on the map that is on the kitchen wall, and that annoyed the wife, so one bank holiday I was despatched to Scarborough to fill in the gap
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Vorpal wrote:
robing wrote:Well, we won't be part of Europe for much longer :(

We cannot escape geology ;)

Brexit only means the UK leaves the EU. The UK cannot leave Europe, unless something happens to the continental shelf. Then, I think we have worse problems than Brexit.

To the OP, carry on, enjoy the ride, and let us know if you manage the whole thing. 8)

Just wait until we follow the example of Trump-ton

They are building a wall to keep the Chigley-ites out

charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

I just don't fancy the busy routes on the LEJOG

If the dire projections of vastly increased population in this country are anywhere near likely over the next several years, this year may be the 'quietest' it will ever be again.