Skipping a Stage of the End to End

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
stan.forums

Skipping a Stage of the End to End

Post by stan.forums »

I am currently in Hereford. It does not look like we will be able to make the entire distance to JOG in the time allotted. Can anyone suggest which stage to skip? We are interested in skipping out heavy traffic, scary highways or too much heavy goods vehical traffic.

Note: I am following the route described by the Cicerone book.
Last edited by stan.forums on 26 Jun 2018, 12:48am, edited 1 time in total.
robgul

Re: Skipping a Stage of the End to End

Post by robgul »

The bit from Shrewsbury to Preston (assuming you are crossing the Mersey at Runcorn) wouldn't be much of a loss in my view. I've ridden both ways and that segment wasn't that picturesque and quite industrial/built up in parts.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
robing

Post by robing »

+1. The other bit you could bypass assuming you're going that way is the Edinburgh /lothian region. Slow progress and terrible road surfaces.
stan.forums

Post by stan.forums »

"Terrible road surface" - Hadn't thought of that one, we are traveling on Bromptons, so that is also a factor, thanks
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Central Belt of Scotland might be worth getting a train through
Maybe you could skip two stages and relax a bit more, I understand the record has just been put on the shelf again :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
robing

Post by robing »

The Mersey crossing at Runcorn is currently closed. There is a free shuttle bus for bikes and pedestrians but this might be a good area to avoid if pushed for time.
A7 Simon

Post by A7 Simon »

Another vote for the middle bit.
Specifically Nantwich to Lancaster.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

I'm beginning to wonder if there are any parts of the route worth riding through. Maybe just get a train from one end to the other?

Sometimes traffic and road surfaces and urban sprawl just make some historic cycling routes no longer feasible. Is LeJog becoming that?
PH

Post by PH »

charliepolecat wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if there are any parts of the route worth riding through. Maybe just get a train from one end to the other?
Sometimes traffic and road surfaces and urban sprawl just make some historic cycling routes no longer feasible. Is LeJog becoming that?

No. For a start there is no historic E2E route, just make up your own based on your own criteria. If you're looking for the fastest time, then the shortest distance has an obvious route. Other than that adding up to 20% to the shortest route opens up a range of possibilities only restricted by imagination.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

When I say 'historic' I assume it was clear I was referring to the LeJog in general as an iconic ride, not any particular route.
PH

Post by PH »

Back to the question - I'd keep heading North and see how far you get, revise the route as you go, as long as you're heading in that general direction it won't make much difference.
The reason I'd do this is you have the opportunity to go back and complete it at some other time, maybe just aim for a pleasant England E2E this time and add a Scottish E2E another time. Or forget the E2E all together and get a train somewhere you'll enjoy riding.
I failed an East to West a few years ago, Lowestoft to Ardnamurchan, three days of bad weather and I was almost a full day behind. I went from deciding I couldn't do it to sitting on a train home in the space of an hour and regretted it since, despite redoing the entire route the following year. It's just another bike ride, if plan A isn't working I should have come up with a better plan B than giving up and going home.
PH

Post by PH »

charliepolecat wrote:When I say 'historic' I assume it was clear I was referring to the LeJog in general as an iconic ride, not any particular route.

Then the answer is still no. If you know there is no particular route, there's nothing stopping you from finding very pleasant cycling roads all the way from one end to the other.
You wonder
f there are any parts of the route worth riding through.

It's like asking if there are any parts of the UK worth riding through.
To which the answer is yes, my route crossed the Cotswolds, Pennines, Yorkshire Dales, North York Moors... the only urban riding was around Edinburgh and that was a choice as my riding partner wanted to spend a night there.
robing

Post by robing »

charliepolecat wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if there are any parts of the route worth riding through. Maybe just get a train from one end to the other?

Bit unnecessary. The op is short of time and asking advice, that's all.
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

I would agree with the suggestion of not skipping any stages and continue heading North at a pace you find comfortable
a) I think all the stages are worthwhile and interesting, each in their own way, that's one of the attractions of LeJog
b) If your fortunes change and you start gaining time you may get further than expected
c) If you do finish short you will presumably be closer to Inverness for getting home & also coming back to complete the route at a later date
Whatever your decision be sure to enjoy the ride.
stan.forums

Post by stan.forums »

Gents,
You gave me some food for thought. We are currently in Chester. We will continue along the route and go with the flow.