July JOGLE attempt. Route review please

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
bikingbilly

July JOGLE attempt. Route review please

Post by bikingbilly »

Hi everyone,

I have only just stumbled across this end-to-end resource and have spent a while browsing through it all and seeing all the help and advice people are getting so I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my planned route please.

I am stopping off at my aunts and uncles near Craven Arms so need to do that slight detour. Otherwise, I am hoping I have chosen a decent route.
Here is the link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27878359

I am a strong cyclist and can quite happily spend most of the day climbing/cruising so am content with a fair amount of climbing (plus you usually get great views from the top)

Thank you so much in advance
Billy
bikeandbeer

Re: July JOGLE attempt. Route review please

Post by bikeandbeer »

It will be difficult for anyone to give meaningful feedback without knowing your goals -- ?selfsupported, time available, views on traffic, camping or b/b etc. etc. ---- What I would say is that it is a more meandering, hilly, and longer route than a lot would choose --- but that is the key point --- it's YOUR route and that's what matters. You WILL need your stated strength and ability to keep grinding out lots of hilly miles -- at 1075 MLS and 59,000 ft you are clearly not in a rush --- just go and enjoy it, you can change plans and route on the way if need be. If you give feedback on this forum re your experience it will be helpful for others --- good luck !
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

I've been putting my own route together over the last few weeks. I have not done JOGLE yet, there are people on this forum who have a huge amount more experience than me. Hopefully they will give you some pointers...

A few things from me:

Seems like a tough route, but if you are a good cyclist then why not?!

If you are going to do a 1k+ route then why not take in Dunnet's Head and Lizard Point along the way? (Most Northerly and Southerly mainland points) Not many extra miles.

I had a look at your Bristol bit. I was struggling with that area, lots of discussion on this forum, but a lot of it about avoiding hills and/or doing the shortest/quickest route. I found mention of the Avon Cycleway and a link (somewhere - can't put my hands on it now) of a circular route. I basically used that as my template for a lot of that area.

I see that your route through that bit is not far off mine, but I would suggest a few tweaks. I was passing through the area a couple of weeks ago, so I had the opportunity to recce the area. I drove from the Severn Bridge all the way to Clevedon (OK, I couldn't take my car on the cycle path over the Avonmouth bridge) but I drove to the start of the path and then to where it comes out again in Pill.

My first suggestion would be to avoid the A403, for the small amount of time I was on it it seemed like a busy and fast road. Yes, there is a cycleway (at least for some of it), but there are some brilliant lanes that will take you down to the Avonmouth crossing which means that you could pretty much avoid it.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the way you have done that bit, but I know that my route 'works' and it is mostly on roads that I am happy with. Signposting of the Avon Cycleway will probably help (although I will have the route in my Garmin).

Just one other thing I notice. RWGPS sends you the wrong way when you come off the Severn Bridge. It's not the end of the world, but 'New Passage Road' is a more obvious route 'on the ground' and it cuts out a bit of the A403 and gets you closer to the turning at Northwick if you chose to go that way.

Hope that helps some?
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Might help if I included a link to 'my' route:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27782463

Definitely a work in progress, but it is getting there...
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

...and be sure to check that the Bowness ferry is working at the time that you are planning to use it. Not as drastic going North to South as it would be if you had ridden all the way up the side of Windermere to find that you couldn't get across!
bikingbilly

Post by bikingbilly »

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the feedback, I have updated it (around Bristol area) as follows https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27878359

I will be doing it self-supported. Bivvying out at the end of the day. I do not want B&B's as I prefer camping out & I do not have the funds to afford a B&B. I have about a fortnight to do it in but that is the maximum I would like to take. I would prefer to have as low traffic as possible (but know that I will have to encounter traffic, I mean I would prefer to avoid any busy/scary roads)

I know it is a longer/hillier route than others, but my aim isn't to do it quickly. I want to do it more as an experience (if that makes sense).

I appreciate your help FasterFerret and your route looks handsome, best of luck for it! When are you doing it?
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Another couple of things that I spotted:

I would reroute your bit just South of Northwich. I am assuming that you will be on a road bike? I would say that the Cheshire lanes are generally quiet, so just as good and probably quicker than taking that track by the side of the river Weaver. I haven't lived up there for about 15 years, so don't know the quality of that track, but my gut feel is that you might make swifter progress on the roads. Just avoid the A530, looks innocuous on the map, but it is a fast, high volume road.

Kirkstone pass is hard...worth doing, but it is a toughie from that side. I have never ridden down 'The Struggle', the locals tell me that it is not enjoyable because it is such a steep descent. I have, however, ridden the route that forks off just after Troutbeck - Ings > Crook > Underbarrow > Brigsteer joins you back to your route. Rolling quiet lanes, a few gates to open, but nice and quiet.

I would have another look at that bit by the Avonmouth bridge. If you go through Pill then you are on roads. It 'looks' (Google Steetview) that you are choosing a track from the bridge to Sheepway. Horses for courses as they say.

One tip that I am testing in my planning is that if a route that I am thinking of taking can't be viewed on Google Steetview I won't take it - I figure that if the Google car can't get down the road then I shouldn't try to take a road bike down there. To check this I pick up the yellow man in RWGPS and hover him over my route, if there is not a blue line then I review that section. I'm doing my route on a road bike with 25mm tyres, if you are on a gravel/hybrid things might be different.

My start date is 13th August, aiming for 9 days. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

As bikeandbeer says: Your route, your choice. Part of the fun is in the planning :D
bikingbilly

Post by bikingbilly »

Hi Ferret

I have routed it below Northwich so I do not go by the river anymore. I shall avoid the A530, I am trying to avoid as many A roads as possible (I know this may be a factor in my lengthy tour.

I've heard Kirkstone Pass is tough and am really excited to slog up it. I have also decided not to go via Windermere as I can foresee it being chockablock with cars and traffic. I am happy going along a track for a little period of time between Pil & Sheepway. However, if it is fully off road then I can always recalculate and readjust.

Thank you for all your help, I am aiming to be finished by then, otherwise it would have been good to catch you en route.

Best of luck for it!
Billy
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Interested to know how you got on bikingbilly
althebike

Post by althebike »

I have ridden Kirkstone a couple of times, it climbs in a series of steep ramps rather than a long drag, enjoy the decent.
bikingbilly

Post by bikingbilly »

FasterFerret wrote:Interested to know how you got on bikingbilly

Hi ferret

I had to scratch near Preston, I loved the ride through Scotland but a series of illness and severe knee pain meant I had to quit about 10 miles north of Preston.

I am in the process of planning my reattempt this coming Summer though.