Minimal training LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
ryanp

Minimal training LEJOG

Post by ryanp »

Hi all, just hoping for some advice to see if this is at all possible.

I'm a 32 year old male, reasonably fit, gym goer but not a regular cyclist. Last week I was offered a cancellation for a 14 day supported LEJOG in 1 month. I decided to establish a baseline and did way of the roses over the weekend, I did a slight detour so approx 3 x 60 mile days with luggage in approx 26-30 degrees heat and some headwind. I managed it but found it very tough and had to push my bike at several points. My quads were on fire on Monday.

I really don't know how to interpret this baseline regarding LEJOG, I think the route averages 74mpd but it is supported. Do people think that may be a step too far and foolish to attempt?

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Many thanks

Ryan
Vorpal

Re: Minimal training LEJOG

Post by Vorpal »

I think it's feasible, if you managed okay with Way of the Roses. Ride your bike at least every other day (can you commute to work on your bike?) and do increasingly longer rides on the weekends. Leave at least one rest day per week; two is better.

Rest a week before you go & get your bike serviced.

Walking up hills is probably gearing as much as fitness. It's possible that you will have to walk up a hill or two on LEJoG, as well. Don't let that bother you; just enjoy the ride.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You could skip some stages, take the train and have some time to recover
Maybe that will not be necessary, you might get fitter and stronger each day
There are lots of LeJoG stories on here to inspire you
Thought of riding an ElliptiGo? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you can do rides like that with no preparation I'd suggest you should be OK, so long as you keep it up between now and then.

For most riders new to cycling / returning after a long break, the physical problem is a sore backside. Although some people assume it can be eased with a soft saddle, it's caused by the muscles in the backside (gluteus maximus?) not being used to working while being sat on. Soon cured by regular riding.

The other thing can be worrying too much about whether the task ahead is too great. We get some people wanting to prepare for a ride without any experience and the general advice is to get some miles in, including eventually some back-to-back rides if people are planning something like a LEJOG. You've done that already and I'd say if you can do three consecutive sixty mile rides in the Dales / North York Moors you really should be fine. You already have a good idea of what you might be letting yourself in for so it shouldn't involve fear of the unknown.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Your age means you can adjust easily to physical challenges and you now have experience.
Only point would be get someone to look at your bike set up to make sure your saddle is not too low, quick guide is to straighten your leg and your heel should touch the pedal, cranks aligned with seat tube, I am assuming that you are clipped in.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
althebike

Post by althebike »

If 74 miles worries you, then how about 2 legs of 25 miles with a break after each one, then a shorter leg of 24 miles with the evening meal and early night to look forward to. I do not know how your organised tour will plan it but it should allow for a range of abilities.
You should recover after each ride if you keep your intensity down, so no racing other riders or pushing yourself to keep up with a fitter rider , enjoy it and good luck.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I did LEJOG in the late 1980s with no training and little recent experience of rides over 30 miles, and I just got stronger as I did it. Just do a few rides to get your body used to cycling, which is different to other forms of exercise, and don't worry about it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Your age means you can adjust easily to physical challenges and you now have experience.
Only point would be get someone to look at your bike set up to make sure your saddle is not too low, quick guide is to straighten your leg and your heel should touch the pedal, cranks aligned with seat tube, I am assuming that you are clipped in.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

That's a good point, and a common mistake. It could also explain the Monday discomfort. You could have a look at member 531colin's bike set-up guide, too http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/docume ... 02017a.pdf

Clipped in, though, isn't needed, and you should stick with what you've got at this point.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

No problem. Go for it!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
PhilPub

Post by PhilPub »

Definitely doable.
Did you end up walking because you ran out of gears on hills? There's no avoiding hills on LEJOG but you'll manage the distance a lot easier if you can ride (slowly) up the hills rather than walking any distance. Might be worth reviewing your gearing options?