Getting to Lands End from Scotland to start

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
rareposter

Re: Getting to Lands End from Scotland to start

Post by rareposter »

andfyv wrote:My main question is how to get myself and bike from Inverness to lands end? I have thought about flying to Bristol then getting the train to lands end. Getting my bike to the same place and at the same time i am a bit stuck with.

Do you *need* to get the bike and yourself to the same place at the same time? Apart from the obvious bit of being at Land's End together at the start... ;-)

If there's a local bike shop, hotel etc that you can contact somewhere down in Cornwall where you could arrange to have the bike and some of your kit couriered? If you can get a cardboard bike box off a local shop, pack the bike up and send it off to a bike shop in Penzance (or other town en route) then you can simply unbox it and ditch the cardboard. You might even find that Mick F is willing to act as the recipient! :lol:

It's easier sorting out travel for you if you're not dragging a bike or bike box around with you. I'd fly Inverness to Bristol and then either do a one-way car hire from there or get the train to Penzance and then a taxi to LE. A one-way hire from Inverness is two solid days of driving and you'll be knackered, I'd not even consider that!

Good luck!
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

. A one-way hire from Inverness is two solid days of driving and you'll be knackered, I'd not even consider that!

That's my plan, but back to Heathrow. Seeing some sights along the way will make the ride up there worth while.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

[quoteMy mother can as she describes it, 'sleep on the clothes line'quote]

There was an American Indian working at our firm in the US and once on a plane he'd curl into a ball and be asleep as soon as the plane left the ground, whereas I would be staring fitfully out of the window unable to sleep for the entire flight.