Scotland

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
althebike

Scotland

Post by althebike »

I am considering doing another jogle but including a few Scottish Islands.
Have anyone done this? If so, what was your experience?
Is it on anyones bucket list ?
The number of island and options seem huge
bogmyrtle

Re: Scotland

Post by bogmyrtle »

If you want to really appreciate the different islands I would suggest you make it a separate tour from Jogle.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

If going up the west side of Scotland, then going over to Arran from Ardrossan and then onto the Kintyre peninsula and up to Oban means you can miss out Glasgow. Further north it gets a bit more difficult due to lack of roads. You could go over to Mull (Craignure) ride up to Tobermory then over to Kilchoan and onto Ardnamurchan. You could then bag the lighthouse as the most westerley point on the mainland. Then follow the western part of the North Coast 500 to get to JOG. This is likely to take quite a bit longer than a straighter route to JOG though.

Edit - just noticed you are planning a JOGLE so all of the above would be in reverse.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

bogmyrtle wrote:If you want to really appreciate the different islands I would suggest you make it a separate tour from Jogle.
+1

Same as any particular place/region in UK.
Dartmoor, Peak District, Lake District, N York Moors for example.
Mick F. Cornwall
althebike

Post by althebike »

Thank you TrevA ,
Mick I appreciate what you said, When I got to jog last month I was a bit disappointed to stop there having got so far, and having islands in view off the coast. Then I would have to get back south, so why not cycle.
Starting at the orkneys and taking a series of ferries south, at what point does it not become a jogle, because you are going by boat and not bike. This is one reason I avoided the routes that involved a ferry crossing in Cornwall,I wanted to ride it.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Not sure I'm understanding what you're asking.
Are you saying you've done Lejog and now want to do Jogle but are questioning if it will be considered Jogle if you use ferries?
If so I can't see why giving your ride the label of Jogle or what anybody else's opinion of the labelling of the route really matters.
It's a pity you didn't go across to Orkney at the end of your Lejog that way you could have appreciated it better than if you go back and start there (if that's what you're thinking of doing).
If you want to plan a route using west coast ferries get a Calmac brochure or timetable as these will have a map showing all of the islands and the ferry routes. Seeng the map will make it easier to plot a route.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I've basically done that on 2 out 3 of my LE -> JOG runs.
But I tend to wander so my shortest distance between those points is ~2,000 miles.
First time I did all the cardinals on the way north.
The second time I followed the coast around the UK.
So both those routes take you up the west coast, so island hopping is easy.
althebike

Post by althebike »

bogmyrtle

I have just completed a jogle . I am playing with some ideas of doing it again, but throwing in some islands too. A caladonian sleeper to Aberdeen, a ferry to shetland, another to orkney , mainland and LE is a possibility, or from the mainland head west and do Lewis/Harris and back to oban is another idea, but combining the two may be a lot of organisation as Mick pointed out, why not do the islands as an isolated ride.
To get an idea about the experiences of others, I thought I would just ask.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Once you get bitten by the ferry bug you will understand the benefits of being a bit more inventive than just following an A to B route when it comes to planning a tour. Trust me.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

It's when you use the Windermere ferry simply because it's another ferry you can add to the list.
I think I used 21 different UK ferries on that Home -> LE -> JOG -> Home tour ...... :D
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

If you've already done JOGLE, why do you want to do it again? I've done JOGLE once, but I don't understand the obsession with doing it over and over again.

I would just do a Tour of the Scottish Highlands and Islands, taking in as many islands as you can or want to.
althebike

Post by althebike »

TrevA
I spent a long time earlier in the year looking over maps, checking them on street view, looking for shops ,cafes and guest houses, I enjoyed this as much as riding it.
Now it is finished,it has left a bit of a hole in my life and I am looking for a challenge to look forward to next year.
I certainly would not ride the same route next time, the world is full of options, so I am in the dreaming phase of what to do next .
lejog/jogle does not have a specific route, we can ride it how we like, taking as many or as few days as we wish, during the ride a motorist wound down his window and tried tossing some insults my way, but I was exactly where I wanted to be, when I wanted to be there, and doing what I wanted to do, so can life get better than that?
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

]Now it is finished,it has left a bit of a hole in my life and I am looking for a challenge to look forward to next year.

You could always get married then you'd have a better reason to go for a long ride again. :P
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

althebike wrote:TrevA
I spent a long time earlier in the year looking over maps, checking them on street view, looking for shops ,cafes and guest houses, I enjoyed this as much as riding it.
Now it is finished,it has left a bit of a hole in my life and I am looking for a challenge to look forward to next year.
I certainly would not ride the same route next time, the world is full of options, so I am in the dreaming phase of what to do next .
lejog/jogle does not have a specific route, we can ride it how we like, taking as many or as few days as we wish, during the ride a motorist wound down his window and tried tossing some insults my way, but I was exactly where I wanted to be, when I wanted to be there, and doing what I wanted to do, so can life get better than that?

I know what you mean. When we crested that last hill in Sennen and saw Lands End in front of us, we didn't want it to end. We encountered nothing but positive reactions to our ride. Riding through Wigan, a guy would down his window and asked where we were going and gave a big thumbs up when I said Lands End. I met a bloke in the lift in the Crewe Travelodge and told him what we were doing and he said "You've made my day!" . We were treated as minor celebrities at many of the B&Bs we stayed at.

It would be interesting to do a more meandering LEJOG or JOGLE.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

TrevA wrote:It would be interesting to do a more meandering LEJOG or JOGLE.
I decided to all the best bits and called it My Grand Tour.
http://my-grand-tour.blogspot.com

Three weeks 1,400miles:
Train to Edinburgh, then rode to Inverness, out to the west to do The Pass of the Cattle to Applecross, then across to Skye, then down the western side of the mainland and down the Mull of Kintyre and across to Aran and back over to the mainland.
Worked my was through SW Scotland and the Borders, then across the North York Moors to Whitby, then SE over to Preston and south into Wales.
Over to Snowdonia and the Llyn Peninsula and down the western side, and then SE to pop out over the Severn Bridge, then home.
Mick F. Cornwall