Jogle route check

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
acky_123

Re: Jogle route check

Post by acky_123 »

Mick F wrote:Day 8 and Day 9

Day 8.
Don't go over the Cadbury Hills after Tiverton.
You'll be climbing the horrible Bickleigh Hill for one thing. Probably the worst hill to climb on your whole JOGLE.

Best to use Rob's Passage. Look in the forum for the links to it and the route. Highly recommended. Flat-ish and peaceful as opposed to the A3072 over the hills.
Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 13.37.29.jpg

Day 9.
Why go via Truro and Helston?
A390 via Lostwithiel and S Austell is a hard ride, and Helston isn't nice on a bike.
Best route from Launceston is to go out westerly via Egloskerry and Hallworthy, then A39 via Camelford and Wadebridge, then via St Newlyn East to Zelah and then Three Burrows and Blackwater to Redruth, Camborne, Hayle and Penzance.

Thank you for the advice I will look at making those changes every bit of help is a bouns as we have never rode any of the areas so good to hear off people who have an point us in the right direction
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's ok! :D

The road from Tiverton to Bickleigh is fine, but if you turn off right just before Bickleigh bridge by the weir, you climb a horrendous hill, plus the road along to Crediton is challenging to say the least. I've done it a few times just for the hell of it, but the first time I did it I knew no better. :oops:

Rob's Passage is highly recommended.

Also, if you take the A390 from the Liskeard/Dobwalls area, it too is challenging. There's a hill out of Lostwithiel that isn't as bad a Bickleigh Hill but bad enough. As it was a main trunk road, there's an escape lane for runaway lorries!

Advice:
From Okehampton, follow the Old A30 as you have illustrated, but turn off right by Launceston rugby ground just as you cross over the border into Cornwall and go along the back lanes to come out on the A388. Turn left down the hill to the Spar shop and up the hill to the right. Top of there, go straight across and follow the lanes to Egloskerry.

Straight through to Tresmeer, and straight on by the chapel, and come out on the A395 at Davidstow. Turn right and follow it to the A39. Turn left and follow the main road to Wadebridge. Go through the town if you want to but it's a long climb back out.

Stay on the main road over the bypass on the bridge but it's still a climb up to the Royal Cornwall Showground. Stay on the A39 and turn off through St Columb Major to the A39 roundabout and go via White Cross, Gummow's Shop and St Newlyn East. Join the A30 and turn off through Zelah, but back out onto the A30 beyond the village and at Three Burrows get onto the Old A30 via Blackwater, Redruth, Camborne, and Hayle town centres.

Then A30 for Penzance, and to LE.

Hope that helps!
I was cycling on many of those roads in the past couple of months, and some of them only yesterday.
Mick F. Cornwall
acky_123

Post by acky_123 »

Mick F wrote:That's ok! :D

The road from Tiverton to Bickleigh is fine, but if you turn off right just before Bickleigh bridge by the weir, you climb a horrendous hill, plus the road along to Crediton is challenging to say the least. I've done it a few times just for the hell of it, but the first time I did it I knew no better. :oops:

Rob's Passage is highly recommended.

Also, if you take the A390 from the Liskeard/Dobwalls area, it too is challenging. There's a hill out of Lostwithiel that isn't as bad a Bickleigh Hill but bad enough. As it was a main trunk road, there's an escape lane for runaway lorries!

Advice:
From Okehampton, follow the Old A30 as you have illustrated, but turn off right by Launceston rugby ground just as you cross over the border into Cornwall and go along the back lanes to come out on the A388. Turn left down the hill to the Spar shop and up the hill to the right. Top of there, go straight across and follow the lanes to Egloskerry.

Straight through to Tresmeer, and straight on by the chapel, and come out on the A395 at Davidstow. Turn right and follow it to the A39. Turn left and follow the main road to Wadebridge. Go through the town if you want to but it's a long climb back out.

Stay on the main road over the bypass on the bridge but it's still a climb up to the Royal Cornwall Showground. Stay on the A39 and turn off through St Columb Major to the A39 roundabout and go via White Cross, Gummow's Shop and St Newlyn East. Join the A30 and turn off through Zelah, but back out onto the A30 beyond the village and at Three Burrows get onto the Old A30 via Blackwater, Redruth, Camborne, and Hayle town centres.

Then A30 for Penzance, and to LE.

Hope that helps!
I was cycling on many of those roads in the past couple of months, and some of them only yesterday.

Thank you all of this info will help loads