LEJOG April 2019

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Fat tyre kicker

Re: LEJOG April 2019

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Shouldn't it be JOGLE then ? :D
stephenjlynch

Post by stephenjlynch »

geocycle wrote:Day 8 uses the Lancaster canal. It’s not bad and has great views but the surface is degraded and potholed which along with lots of narrow bridges and dog walkers makes for a slow ride. It gets worse beyond carnforth.I do use it but wouldn’t normally recommend it to end to Enders looking to achieve big mileages. A quiet option from Lancaster would be Halton via Lune cycle way, nether Kellet, over kellet, Capenwray, then on to the relatively quiet a6070.

Hi geocycle - thanks for this, really appreciated. Could you take another peep please and let me know if this is more like your suggested routes?
stephenjlynch

Post by stephenjlynch »

Ron wrote:Unless you had some specific reason, you might wish to reconsider a section of Day 16, the planned route takes you on to an un-surfaced farm road and involves unnecessary climbing.
Suggested amendment*
Day 16 At 11 mile point turn left on to B 9176, *then after approx 200 metres turn right on to the B817 and follow the B817 until it merges with your planned route near a bus stop at west end of Alness*.

Also on Day 16, I trust you are aware of the need to carry your bike down a flight of stairs at the river crossing between Ardgay and Invershin?
The route in your plan is mostly single track but the alternative route via Bonar Bridge is double track and although it carries more motorised traffic this is unlikely to concern you, also there is a shop in Bonar if you need to top up with food or drinks.
(The route with the stairs was drawn up to pass close to Carbisdale Castle youth hostel, alas the hostel closed down years ago.)

Thanks Ron - taken the advice for the route to Alness, appreciate your help - and yes! - we heard that there are steps on the route, need training with those cleats I think :-)
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

stephenjlynch wrote:
geocycle wrote:Day 8 uses the Lancaster canal. It’s not bad and has great views but the surface is degraded and potholed which along with lots of narrow bridges and dog walkers makes for a slow ride. It gets worse beyond carnforth.I do use it but wouldn’t normally recommend it to end to Enders looking to achieve big mileages. A quiet option from Lancaster would be Halton via Lune cycle way, nether Kellet, over kellet, Capenwray, then on to the relatively quiet a6070.

Hi geocycle - thanks for this, really appreciated. Could you take another peep please and let me know if this is more like your suggested routes?

Hi, your route is a little complicated through Halton. I'd either cross the Lune at Denny Bridge as on your map, then cutting back via Foundary lane to Kellet Lane before heading north thus avoiding some complicated navigation and a couple of sharp climbs. You'll get a nice view of the Bay and Lakes from near the TV mast. An alternative would be crossing the Lune via the splendid aqueduct that carries the Canal, right on Halton Road then Kellet lane. All of this is rolling countryside with some gentle climbs. If you need to make time up the A6 north of carnforth is not too bad and the brief Encounter tea room at Carnforth station worth a scone visit, but avoid the Kendal bypass A590 and get on the A6070.
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

stephenjlynch wrote:
Ron wrote:Unless you had some specific reason, you might wish to reconsider a section of Day 16, the planned route takes you on to an un-surfaced farm road and involves unnecessary climbing.
Suggested amendment*
Day 16 At 11 mile point turn left on to B 9176, *then after approx 200 metres turn right on to the B817 and follow the B817 until it merges with your planned route near a bus stop at west end of Alness*.

Also on Day 16, I trust you are aware of the need to carry your bike down a flight of stairs at the river crossing between Ardgay and Invershin?
The route in your plan is mostly single track but the alternative route via Bonar Bridge is double track and although it carries more motorised traffic this is unlikely to concern you, also there is a shop in Bonar if you need to top up with food or drinks.
(The route with the stairs was drawn up to pass close to Carbisdale Castle youth hostel, alas the hostel closed down years ago.)

Thanks Ron - taken the advice for the route to Alness, appreciate your help - and yes! - we heard that there are steps on the route, need training with those cleats I think :-)

Steps, yes. I think that the way you are going they will be down? and not that many (although I didn't count) but you do get a great view of Carbisdale Castle, a very impressive sight, as you cross the bridge.

I do remember there being a piece of angle iron bolted to the side of the steps to push your bike along so it didn't bounce on the steps.

You can see one set of steps on Google Street view:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.92443 ... 6656?hl=en

and the track to access the other end:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.92015 ... 6656?hl=en