First JOGLE in May 2019

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

First JOGLE in May 2019

Post by puffin »

I'm doing my first JOGLE next May. I have done LEJOG a few times already but was told apparently this was "getting boring" and I should "think of something new". So I did. The idea came to me when I found a reverse route feature on my sat nav. Cool or what?
sizbut

Re: First JOGLE in May 2019

Post by sizbut »

Downhill, makes perfect sense.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Just as well you’ve a sat nav. It’ll look entirely different going the other way you’ll get lost easily.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Major issue with reversing a GPS route, is that one-way systems and roundabouts cause a problem! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
althebike

Post by althebike »

One way systems and roundabouts are no problem, just explain that you have reversed a route on your gps and everyone will understand.
puffin

Post by puffin »

althebike wrote:One way systems and roundabouts are no problem, just explain that you have reversed a route on your gps and everyone will understand.

Exactly. People, especially 4wd drivers are always really understanding, and are just happy to see cyclists enjoying themselves. We've all received that benign smile and the metaphorical pat on the head as we hamper their rights of navigation. Their divine rights of navigation.
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Does your GPS have an option to reverse the wind also?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

althebike wrote:One way systems and roundabouts are no problem, just explain that you have reversed a route on your gps and everyone will understand.

:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
puffin

Post by puffin »

FasterFerret wrote:Does your GPS have an option to reverse the wind also?

Hang on, is there something I should know?
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

puffin wrote:
FasterFerret wrote:Does your GPS have an option to reverse the wind also?

Hang on, is there something I should know?

Well, there's a reason that the traditional way is LE>JOG and that all the records set go South to North.

The prevailing wind is a factor to be considered. Yes, you could get a still fortnight. You might well get Northerly winds, but the prevailing wind is Southerly. It is definitely a factor to be considered in planning.

You have done more LEJOGs than most. I am sure that you didn't have the wind at your back all the time on all of your rides. Something to bear in mind in planning daily distances and maybe also route choice.
althebike

Post by althebike »

When I did jogle this year, I had a strong head wind from jog to Bettyhill , but talking to some riders in the cafe that had come up from the south, they said they were also in a headwind and had lost around 2 hours to the wind that day.
Reversing routes on a sat nav is an easy way of routing, but I think tweaking a route gives that bit of uniqueness to a route .
Ajax Bay

Post by Ajax Bay »

FasterFerret wrote:Well, there's a reason that the traditional way is LE>JOG and that all the records set go South to North.
The prevailing wind is a factor to be considered. Yes, you could get a still fortnight. You might well get Northerly winds, but the prevailing wind is Southerly. It is definitely a factor to be considered in planning.

See this article:
Seasonal variation of the prevailing wind direction in Britain
https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/d ... 02/wea.301
"Conclusions
The main conclusion to be drawn is that in Britain, northeasterly winds are at least as
common in spring as southwesterly winds, and in some years are considerably more so.
. . . this has implications for a [cyclist] making the journey . . . . from Land’s End to John O’Groats."

So the OP choosing to undertake JOGLE in May is choosing the month least likely to have headwinds (on balance).
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Tackling those steep Cornish hills right at the end? Ouch!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
puffin

Post by puffin »

Spinners wrote:Tackling those steep Cornish hills right at the end? Ouch!

..but by then I should be at my fittest???? What do you reckon??
puffin

Post by puffin »

Ajax Bay wrote:/posting.php?mode=quote&f=22&p=1287699sidered in planning.

See this article:
Seasonal variation of the prevailing wind direction in Britain
https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/d ... 02/wea.301
"Conclusions
The main conclusion to be drawn is that in Britain, northeasterly winds are at least as
common in spring as southwesterly winds, and in some years are considerably more so.
. . . this has implications for a [cyclist] making the journey . . . . from Land’s End to John O’Groats."

So the OP choosing to undertake JOGLE in May is choosing the month least likely to have headwinds (on balance).[/quote]

Thank you thank you thank you. I am going to sleep better now. I didn't know this so thanks.