Cyclists killed riding LeJog

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
charliepolecat

Cyclists killed riding LeJog

Postby charliepolecat » 31 Oct 2018, 9:13pm

Just wondering, are there any statistics recording how many - if any - cyclists have been killed on the road riding LeJog.

If there are - and have been - none, then in spite of all the dire warnings of the reckless nature on drivers, riding LeJog may not be any more dangerous than riding on a vehicle-free bike trail.

meic

Re: Cyclists killed riding LeJog

Postby meic » 31 Oct 2018, 9:21pm

There have certainly been multiple cycling LEJOG road deaths, reported on this forum in the past ten years. That doesnt mean that it is disproportionately dangerous though.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=77575&hilit=LEJOG+death
Yma o Hyd

horizon

Postby horizon » 1 Nov 2018, 12:24am

There are plaques opposite the signpost at Land's End AIUI to commemorate those who died en route but I don't know if that is 100% accurate (the plaques are there) or whether the names are complete.
It's autumn in England with the trees turning golden. So we say leaves mean leaves.

pwa

Postby pwa » 1 Nov 2018, 8:13am

There is no definitive LEJOG route, so if someone selects a route carefully there is no reason why it should be any more dangerous than out-of-town road cycling in general. And I've been doing that for more than fifty years.
Last edited by pwa on 1 Nov 2018, 8:40am, edited 1 time in total.

Bez

Postby Bez » 1 Nov 2018, 8:38am

pwa wrote:And I've been doing that for more than fifty years.

I’m going to bet good money that we’ll be seeing more posts on this thread from people who have not been killed whilst riding a bicycle.

pwa

Postby pwa » 1 Nov 2018, 8:39am

Bez wrote:
pwa wrote:And I've been doing that for more than fifty years.

I’m going to bet good money that we’ll be seeing more posts on this thread from people who have not been killed whilst riding a bicycle.

That must apply to quite a few of us.

althebike

Postby althebike » 1 Nov 2018, 10:43am

I think there was a death from a collision between a biker and logging lorry earlier this year. The logging lorries that passed me did so in a considerate manner and I felt the dust they kicked up more threatening than the vehicle itself.