Mick F route fast but safe.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
RickH

Re: Mick F route fast but safe.

Post by RickH »

irc wrote:
Jamesh wrote:https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hc8ZUP6RSegayvWZ6

My bike as it will be for lejog + toptube bag.

Cheers James

No mudguards? Tricky one. A bit if extra weight and wind resistance but I hate riding when getting soaked by spray off my front wheel. On my last LEJOG I had a few showers here and there and one long wet day up the Welsh, English border. I guess as I'm a slow rider anyway the wind resistance is less of a factor. And when I weigh over 100kg worrying about the weight of mudguards is a bit pointless

When I did a 15 day LEJOG in 2009 we had significant rain on all but the last day. I was definitely glad of full mudguards (& an effective waterproof jacket).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

A rear mudguard or crud catcher is essential. I can live without a front
irc

Post by irc »

BrightonRock wrote:A rear mudguard or crud catcher is essential. I can live without a front

Any fleeting possibility of me not taking mudguards vanished today. Caught in a 30 minutes shower on my no guards bike. Backside wet, line of mud and sand down back, shoes soaking, and bike filthy. The thought of a few hours in the rain is . .
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Got very wet tonight.
Pair of overshoes on the shopping list!
On a good note my frame bag stayed perfectly dry! :D :D :D

Cheers James
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

James, have you finalised your return transport from JoG and if so could you share what they are please.

I understand you may have told all this in various threads, but a recap would be useful. Thanks.

Ken.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

8.58am X99 stagecoach coach from wick to Inverness.
1pm train from Inverness to Edinburgh
4pm train from Edinburgh to Leeds.

Off the top of my head.

I have to use the bus as it's starting in wick / thurso where as the first train goes from Inverness to wick and then return on a Sunday.
First got to get there!!!

Cheers James
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Looking up the Wick- Inverness route on the Stagecoach site regarding bikes it says this: "In some areas, you can take your bike on the bus. Please contact the local team in your area and they'll be happy to advise." It doesn't sound particularly positive.

On the other hand; it's only about 90 miles between Wick and Inverness, so one could extend the ride and just ride back to Inverness and not bother with waiting for a bus.
Last edited by charliepolecat on 14 May 2019, 4:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

charliepolecat wrote:Looking up the Wick- Inverness route on the Stagecoach site regarding bikes it says this: "In some areas, you can take your bike on the bus. Please contact the local team in your area and they'll be happy to advise." It doesn't sound particularly positive.

If it’s an X service then it’s usually alright. Just be pleasant and polite to the driver and it will be fine.
Be like a few English cycle tourists who got off the train in Oban with me last night and you’ll be denied. Come to Scotland, be civil is my advice. Leave any little Englander attitude at home.

It was a very rare occasion when I’ve been embarrassed by being associated with cyclists. Brexit has an awful lot to answer for.
Last edited by Paulatic on 14 May 2019, 4:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Just be pleasant and polite to the driver and it will be fine

I'm a lovely person and friendly with everyone. :D