Trailer users experience sought

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
truckturner

Re: Trailer users experience sought

Post by truckturner »

I have always used panniers on long tours and found them satisfactory but have toyed with the Idea of a trailer mainly for the simplicity of it . Having read most of the posts on the forum and other opinions on trailers I have decided that some things in life are experiential only no one can tell you these things not even the master. On that basis I have just bought a second hand BOB Yak. Now I have never ever had an issue with putting my bike on a train anywhere in Europe which I do frequently. I have just been told they are not allowed on trains which for me severely limits its use for touring. Cheers Peter
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Mick F, can you tell us how you post pictures? It seems from the 'FAQ' page, that you have to have permission from the moderator, is this really the case?
PH

Post by PH »

truckturner wrote:I have just been told they are not allowed on trains which for me severely limits its use for touring. Cheers Peter

Although it's clear in the T&C's that trailers are not permitted, I had no problem getting my BOB Yak on four UK trains.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PH wrote:You can't defy gravity and physics, the extra weight and drag of a trailer require extra effort to move.
Have you tried one?
It's amazing how it feels that you can defy gravity and physics.

Yes, of course it holds you back going up a hill, but on the flat it doesn't at all, and going down, you get a buzz from the acceleration and extra speed. Momentum is much better with a trailer than panniers too.

Unless you try one out thoroughly, you won't understand.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Posting pictures.
You'll see on the page below the posting bit, a "chose file" button.
Click on it and navigate to the picture you want to upload.
Click on "upload" and when it's done, you can place it inline where you want it.
Read this.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36594

Trains.
I've taken mine on a train. No problem at all, but not done it yet with the big alu box. Strapped on luggage on the loadbed would be easy peasy.
The Carry Freedom trailers have removable wheels. Take them off and put them in your luggage. All you will have then is the flat frame and loadbed.
Mick F. Cornwall
Wheeledwidewebb

Post by Wheeledwidewebb »

I really do appreciate the opinions of everyone on this little matter and it is very clear to me that the use of a trailer is a decision that only the individual can make.

There are times when I might regret using it, there are times that I’m glad I’m using it.

Seems that one needs to try it out and then decide, so that is exactly what I will do, I trial mini-tour to be able to make first-hand decisions.

It took the various points of view expressed on this thread for me to understand that.

Thanks everyone, your efforts in replying have not been wasted, I am very grateful.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The Trans Pennine Trail with Street Machine and Radical Cyclone

The only problems I had would have ben a problem anyway!

West Highland Way with Thorn and Carry Freedom

PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:
PH wrote:You can't defy gravity and physics, the extra weight and drag of a trailer require extra effort to move.
Have you tried one?

Have you read to the end of that post?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
I did.

I love my CF trailer. Up, down and on the flat. Love it lots.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PH wrote: ... I've toured a couple of times with a Bob Yak trailer, ....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
That's the issue here, not that I'm pointing fingers at anyone.
In order to try out something, you need to give it a good trial. I have used panniers on occasion, and then a JOGLE.

Then I tried a trailer.
I tried it shopping. I tried it towing a concrete block or two for testing and training value. I tied it with different bikes. I tried it LEJOG and Back. I tried touring Scotland, Yorkshire, England, Wales, and Cornwall. Plus shopping, plus towing it with a Chopper JOGLE and plus on the back of Moulton locally.

I know which I prefer.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I can only say I tried. :oops:
LSD

Post by LSD »

I used a Carry Freedom when I did JOGLE in 2009. My bike didn't have any points to fit panniers and so I bought the trailer.

I only had one problem with it and that was on the first day. While going around a mini roundabout coming back into Wick, I caught a kerb and flipped it. I think part of the problem was that it was unloaded as I'd already set up my tent before going up to John O'Groats to start and I only had it for photographic purposes.

charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Looks like a heavy bike even without the trailer. There is no way of knowing of course, but I expect most riders on the LeJog ride lighter weight road bikes and not off road bikes with suspensions.

A previous poster shew his unweighted recumbent which weighs in at 30+ lbs, too much to move along for me.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Amazingly, this rig worked really well - despite the length!

New Picture (4).png