Iain's 2019 LeJog

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Iain's 2019 LeJog

Post by Mick F »

That is ALWAYS the issue.
Time off work etc.

When I did my JOGLE in 1994, I had two weeks of leave owing to me, so 11 days of riding, plus a weekend off, then back to work.
The ship I was on, in my absence, finished what it was doing in Scotland, then came south to Portsmouth where I rejoined it.

Theoretically, I could have turned round at LE and made my way to Portsmouth. 90miles from LE to home, so that would have meant staying overnight at LE somewhere, then a night at home, then two days to Portsmouth - 170miles. This would have meant my whole two weeks of leave would have been spent cycling. I might have considered this approach had I had three weeks off.
Mick F. Cornwall
irc

Post by irc »

Wick Glasgow ticket booked at £31.50 with bike space.
Advanced tickets on sale today. Bike spaces for first choice Inverness Glasgow leg gone before 1130. Got later train though. If you're not fast you're last
puffin

Post by puffin »

Sheez! You reminded me to get mine, just done it. Inv to Wick with bike £6.35...with a rail card. Good value! We're going to pass each other around Compton Martin / Cheddar.
irc

Post by irc »

puffin wrote:Sheez! You reminded me to get mine, just done it. Inv to Wick with bike £6.35...with a rail card. Good value! We're going to pass each other around Compton Martin / Cheddar.

If you are going via Cheddar and Chew Valley I'll probably miss you. Last time I went over the Mendips from Wells. This time I'm avoiding climbing the Mendips by taking the Strawberry Line. Some way West of Cheddar.

Don't have my plan to hand but think I'll be there 26th May
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

I wish I had the courage to do this.

I keep thinking that my route would end when I was either deliberately pushed off my bike by the passenger of a passing car, or else wiped out by a BMW driver as he checks Facebook whilst overtaking me at 95 mph.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

irc wrote:Wick Glasgow ticket booked at £31.50 with bike space.
Advanced tickets on sale today. Bike spaces for first choice Inverness Glasgow leg gone before 1130. Got later train though. If you're not fast you're last

Yikes I'm going have to be efficient at getting my tickets better put it in the diary and take the Friday morning off work!!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'm guessing it's 12 weeks to the day and not something crazy like 12 weeks to the hour???
irc

Post by irc »

Jamesh wrote:I'm guessing it's 12 weeks to the day and not something crazy like 12 weeks to the hour???

On Trainline.com you can search for the date and fare you want then set up an email alert which warns you when advance cheap fares are on sale. I got it at 0530 yesterday but didn't check my email until 1100.

Duh!

My other gotcha to be avoided is forgetting your password for the GWR tickets site and not being able to reset it when the remp password included a symbol I couldn't find on my phone.
Ended up booking by phoning Cross-country.
shadwellrhino

Post by shadwellrhino »

londoncommuter0000 wrote:I wish I had the courage to do this.

I keep thinking that my route would end when I was either deliberately pushed off my bike by the passenger of a passing car, or else wiped out by a BMW driver as he checks Facebook whilst overtaking me at 95 mph.

If you commute by bike in London, then LeJoG would be a doddle.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

irc wrote:My other gotcha to be avoided is forgetting your password for the GWR tickets site and not being able to reset it when the temp' password included a symbol I couldn't find on my phone.
Ended up booking by phoning Cross-country.

I think you can request more than once for a "reset" password - if that would have helped in above quandary. ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
irc

Post by irc »

DAY ZERO
So far so good. Two changes of train later, 12 hours after leaving the house I'm east of Plymouth with an hour or so left on the train to Penzance.

Pleasant company on the train.

20190522_173949.jpg
irc

Post by irc »

DAY 1
Easy 40 miles to Perranporth YHA. Dry all day with a slight breeze at the back. Left the A30 at Hayle and avoided it the rest of the day apart from a nav error getting me on it for a few hundred yards. It was so busy I was waiting a few minutes for a gap in traffic. Eventually nipping out in front of a tractor.

A starting pic in the theme park rather that the milepost. Everything still shut before 8am
A starting pic in the theme park rather that the milepost. Everything still shut before 8am

In Penzance for breakfast at first Wetherspoons of the tour
In Penzance for breakfast at first Wetherspoons of the tour

Late lunch at Wetherspoons 2 in Perranporth
Late lunch at Wetherspoons 2 in Perranporth

Fantastic setting at YHA Perranporth. Note outside shower on wall
Fantastic setting at YHA Perranporth. Note outside shower on wall
irc

Post by irc »

DAY 2 Perranporth to Okehampton YHA, 74 miles
Tough day as expected since I've not done anything more than 40 miles a day this year.

Weird weather for late May. Dull and overcast with low clouds first thing. Past Camelford the cloud base was at ground level with visibility down to 100M. A hint of drizzle for half an hour but otherwise dry all day with a 10-15mph tailwind much of the time.

Full marks for Mick F's fast route from Lands End to Okehampton. Some heavy traffic early on today past Newquay area but few places where it caused me any issues. Great route on minor roads and old A30 later in the day. A very crafty route through Launceston.

Wetherspoons of the day, Okehampton.
Wetherspoons of the day, Okehampton.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Great posts I will have to do like wise.
Keep up the pace!

Cheers James
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Ian, what kind of lodgings are you finding each day?