Iain's 2019 LeJog

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
irc

Iain's 2019 LeJog

Post by irc »

Well after toying with the idea and asking about Okehampton - Taunton routes in an earlier thread I've pulled the trigger. Holidays booked and accommodation booked as far as Glasgow. Starting from Lands end 23rd May.

I did a 13 day LeJog about 20 years ago and I'm following a pretty similar route but aiming for 15 days. Main changes, going via Bridgewater rather than over to Street in Somerset, and sticking to the A6 corridor north of Preston instead of going up into the Forest of Bowland. The two extra day will be used to turn previous Wye Valley to Chester 110 mile day into 2 days and taking 5 days from Glasgow to JoG instead of 4. I'll be going past Liverpool - Manchester area same as last time. Out the Wirral, ferry to Liverpool, then up to Preston.

North of Glasgow probably same as last time to Loch Tay via Drymen and Callander. Then rather than going east to Pitlochry I'll go via B846 to Tummel bridge then Calvine to join to A9. JUst for a change. Then the Old A9 to Inverness and the inland option through Surherland/Caithness to Bettyhill then JoG.

Aside from a 50 mile Lands End - Perranporth Day 1 every day as far as Glasgow is between 65-70 miles. Just like last time I'll be using paper maps but 1/2 inch as far as the Lakes rather than 1/4 inch as last time. The 1/4 inch wasn't adequate for the job. Maps backed up by a smartphone this time for any time I'm not sure of where I'm going and maybe some in town navigation. Last time I didn't book anywhere and stayed in hostels the whole way. This involved a bit of side to side and uneven lengths of days so hence a few cheap hotel days this time.

I'm not camping before Glasgow but may stick the tent on the rack for flexibility thereafter.

Overnights at YHA, St Just (Penzanze already fully booked) , YHA Perranporth, YHA Okehampton, Premier In Bridgwater, YHA St Briavels, YHA All Stretton, Travelodge The Wirral, Travelodge Preston, Wayfarers Hostel, Penrith, MBA Bothy near Moffat, Home nr Glasgow .

Bike? my tried and tested Surly Long Haul Trucker.

Travel? I'll be booking train tickets 12 weeks out as soon as the cheap fares are around. T
Last edited by irc on 15 Dec 2018, 7:40pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paulatic

Re: Iain's 2019 LeJog

Post by Paulatic »

Wayfarers is a great choice of stop.
Brattleburn bothy will depend on who was there last. Sometimes gets trashed by lager parties.
A nearby alternative is http://www.rivox.net/
Also Lockerbie Lorry park do a cheap bed.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Paulatic wrote:Wayfarers is a great choice of stop.
Brattleburn bothy will depend on who was there last. Sometimes gets trashed by lager parties.

Lockerbie is fairly near to where one of the wimps lives and another one spends a lot of the summer.
If you want to meet up during your Lejog put a message on the Wimps thread and we will try to arrange it
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
irc

Post by irc »

oldmanonabike wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Wayfarers is a great choice of stop.

Lockerbie is fairly near to where one of the wimps lives and another one spends a lot of the summer.
If you want to meet up during your Lejog put a message on the Wimps thread and we will try to arrange it

I'll bear it in mind. I'll be going straight up the old A74. Though as it will be towards the end of the day I won't know when I'll be getting to Lockerbie/Moffat area. Depending on weather/winds etc.

Good shout on Rivox. I never knew that was there. I'll be hitting Moffat on a Friday so higher risk for lager parties at Brattleburn. Though I'm not wanting to book anything at Moffat. If I'm feeling fresh or getting a tailwind I'll maybe push on to make the next day to home shorter.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

I do think the concept of riding 100 miles or less a day makes perfect sense for a touring holiday but for me somehow I expect I would want to keep going rather than stopping off early in the day. I do realise though that finding adequate and reasonably priced accommodation suggests the value of searching early for the best overnight choice.

I think my Lejog is off for next year, I have registered for a 1200K Audax ride in July from Lytham St. Anne's up to Inverness and back as a preparation for Lejog in 2020 as it is now (go to the Audax Lejog thread I opened earlier). The 750 mile + Audax ride must be completed in 90 hours, so training is starting now for this adventure.

If however, I decide during the preparations that riding 200 miles a day for 4 days on end is utterly ridiculous, then maybe something along Ian's ride might become attractive. The furthest I have ridden in one day is 254 miles - seven Saturday morning to three Sunday morning - so it is doable for me, but I may need to give myself a sever talking to dissuade me and direct me to a more leisurely jaunt.
irc

Post by irc »

charliepolecat wrote:I do think the concept of riding 100 miles or less a day makes perfect sense for a touring holiday but for me somehow I expect I would want to keep going rather than stopping off early in the day.

As always there are two sides. In an ideal world I'd just ride north and stop somewhere in the evening. In fact on longer tours in the USA with a tent that is my approach.

I've gone for the 65-70 miles per day because that's what I'd say would be my comfortable limit if I got a headwind much of the day. If I get better conditions and the miles are coming easily I'm quite happy to while away an hour here and there in a pub with a beer and a paper. I don't think I will have an issue with arriving at my destination too early. I've been known, in nice weather, with a enough miles in the bank, to have a post lunch nap by the roadside listening to a podcast. I am trying to treat it as a holiday with cycling rather than a cycling holiday if that makes sense.

I'm probably one of the least regular cyclist on this forum. since I stopped bike commuting I don't get out that much and will need to make a point of getting some training miles before next May. Indeed that's one of the benefits of a planned tour. I always enjoy riding once I'm out on the bike but tend to let it slip in favour of other things.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Actually, although most of my rides are in the plus 100 mile range, all of my former riding buddies agree a 40 - 60 mile ride is the best of all.
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

Lockerbie lorry park is a great stop. Paulatic s local knowledge gave us a great refreshment break...one of the best of the trip
irc

Post by irc »

Got my train to Penzance and bike space booked. What a faff!. I've been watching the train booking site GWR.com as I can book the ticket and bike space online. Today was the first day cheap advance tickets were on sale for 22nd May. I didn't see this until 5pm. The only cheap tickets for Glasgow - Penzance direct was the 0900 - £123 but the site said it couldn't reserve a bike space for part of the journey. Presumably bike spaces booked already somewhere between here and Cornwall.

So I hopped on the bike down to my local station and spoke to the staff. They couldn't get a bike booked either. They suggested phoning CrossCountry direct. Which I did. Long story short was that I couldn't get a bike space on the 9am train. Other times were £252. I ended up getting a Glasgow - Edinburgh - Taunton - Penzance with two changes at £123. The clerk said she couldn't book a space on the Glasgow - Edinburgh leg but I'm happy to just turn up for that train. I've used it regularly and never had a problem. The staff don't bother about bikes being squeezed in. I don't think they do booked spaces.

Backup plan would have been a seat in the sleeper overnight to London 21st/22nd at £45 and a £38 London - Penzance ticket at 9am on the 22nd. A bit cheaper but not a great night's sleep. No w for Wick trains .....
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The New Caledonia sleeper came past my house a few weeks ago in the afternoon so probably still trialling or moving stock around. Looks, from the outside, fab and a huge improvement on the old stock.
I’d of plumped for a ride in it. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
1982john

Post by 1982john »

irc wrote:Got my train to Penzance and bike space booked. What a faff!. I've been watching the train booking site GWR.com as I can book the ticket and bike space online. Today was the first day cheap advance tickets were on sale for 22nd May. I didn't see this until 5pm. The only cheap tickets for Glasgow - Penzance direct was the 0900 - £123 but the site said it couldn't reserve a bike space for part of the journey. Presumably bike spaces booked already somewhere between here and Cornwall.

So I hopped on the bike down to my local station and spoke to the staff. They couldn't get a bike booked either. They suggested phoning CrossCountry direct. Which I did. Long story short was that I couldn't get a bike space on the 9am train. Other times were £252. I ended up getting a Glasgow - Edinburgh - Taunton - Penzance with two changes at £123. The clerk said she couldn't book a space on the Glasgow - Edinburgh leg but I'm happy to just turn up for that train. I've used it regularly and never had a problem. The staff don't bother about bikes being squeezed in. I don't think they do booked spaces.

Backup plan would have been a seat in the sleeper overnight to London 21st/22nd at £45 and a £38 London - Penzance ticket at 9am on the 22nd. A bit cheaper but not a great night's sleep. No w for Wick trains .....

I've had this experience before and it's led me to booking trains first and only then booking accommodation.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

That's my thinking too book the train first and the accomodation.
I'm think of xc train Leeds to Penzance Friday night, rather than to London and the night Rivera to Penzance. Ok it will cost £40 in travelodge but simpler. Sorry for the thread hijack.
Cheers James
irc

Post by irc »

It's an either/or. I'm using mainly YHAs and Travelodges. 6 months out YHA Penzance was already fully booked. With a midweek start rather than I suspect the more common Friday or Saturday start I think I probably made the right call booking accommodation early and chancing the train. No correct answer though. For someone camping or carrying back up camping gear or using a wider variety of accommodation train first may be better.
Last edited by irc on 9 Mar 2019, 9:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

irc wrote: Now for Wick trains .....
Sorry for butting in on this thread.

When you get to JOG, think about cycling back to Glasgow, rather than getting the train.
You'll be fitter than a fit thing after your LEJOG, so just turn round and make your way back home.
At a guess, you'll do it in three days or maybe four, back to Glasgow.

I did JOGLE in 1994 when I was still in the RN and my ship (HMS Sirius) was in Clyde Submarine Base, Scotland for a while and I was due some leave.
I rode to friends in Helensburgh and stayed there overnight, then they drove me and my bike+kit to Glasgow Queen Street and I took the train to Inverness and then to Wick, then rode to SYHA Canisbay. Following morning, I rode to JOG and worked my way to LE, then was picked up and driven the 90miles home here.

Come 2006, people kept asking me if I was going to do the ride again.
The best thing that occurred to me then, was to ride both ways. Took me three weeks to do LEJOG and BACK.
If you search this forum, you'll find Chat Noir who did York LE JOG York = YETEY = York End to End York.
http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/hosted/668.pdf

Basically, what I'm saying, is when you get to your destination, you are sitting on the best form of transport known to man, so you may as well turn round and go back home on it. JOG to Glasgow isn't that far. Less than 300miles.
Mick F. Cornwall
irc

Post by irc »

Mick F wrote:
irc wrote: Now for Wick trains .....
Sorry for butting in on this thread.

All comments welcome.

Mick F wrote:When you get to JOG, think about cycling back to Glasgow, rather than getting the train.
You'll be fitter than a fit thing after your LEJOG, so just turn round and make your way back home.
At a guess, you'll do it in three days or maybe four, back to Glasgow.

Nice idea. My work and my wife may disagree though. :-)