Garmin GPS and maps

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Garmin GPS and maps

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Don't just rely on the screen, look at paper maps too so you know more than just your route
Talk to other LeJoGers, they might have knowledge of road closures, changes
Is it better to do JoGLE? That way one encounters many more people going the other way who have just cycled the bit one is doing next :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
MarOliKop

Re: Garmin GPS and maps

Post by MarOliKop »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Don't just rely on the screen, look at paper maps too so you know more than just your route
Talk to other LeJoGers, they might have knowledge of road closures, changes
Is it better to do JoGLE? That way one encounters many more people going the other way who have just cycled the bit one is doing next :wink:

Hi,
Thank you for your message. I will have paper maps as well, but for the convenience I will be using Garmin 62S the most and on OSM mapping as a back up. I am constantly studying my route on Google maps, street views etc. And also I am looking on roads nearby my route and so on. Only the actual trip will tell how well I am or not prepared. My biggest worries is not the route and staying on it, but finding camp site every night.

To your point about the direction switch, I have to say that I will be so slow, that people going the same direction will be passing me and the people coming due south I will be meeting as well, so I think I am OK with my route from South to North. :mrgreen:

Best regards,
Marian