A30 between Bodmin and Okehampton

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Baxter

A30 between Bodmin and Okehampton

Post by Baxter »

Are cyclists allowed on the A30 between Bodmin and Okehampton please? Police, local authority and highways England all unable to answer this. Thanks.
whoof

Re: A30 between Bodmin and Okehampton

Post by whoof »

There was a period when they were carrying out the work to dual some single lane sections that there were signs telling or warning or advising (one of these) cyclists to take alternative routes. This work is complete and as far as I know you can cycle on this section of the A30.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There is some discussion on previous threads including this which discusses the work carried out a couple of years ago

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=98137&p=1150934

Unless something has changed, cyclists are allowed to use it, but I think it is a rather unpleasant place to ride a bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Vorpal wrote:but I think it is a rather unpleasant place to ride a bike.

It is effectively the M5 extension to North Devon.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes.
No probs at all except for the fact it isn't a nice road to cycle on. Not too bad if you're by yourself for two reasons: One you aren't so much of an issue to the other road users, and Two, you can't ride abreast and chat!

It's fast and efficient and with the fewest hills possible. I've done it many times though not in one complete Bodmin/Okehampton, and I've cycled on all of the A30 from LE to beyond Okehampton too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Redvee wrote:It is effectively the M5 extension to North Devon.
It is indeed an "extension to the M5" but not to North Devon.

It runs from Exeter M5 to the south of Exeter city and out over the downs through South-ish Devon, skirting the north of Dartmoor and Sourton before dropping down into Cornwall.
Mick F. Cornwall
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Hello, the 22 A30 miles from Bodmin to Launceston are on undulating, wide-open roads, with sightlines that are pretty good all the way: the moor scenery is difficult to beat in clement weather, and you can re-live the Jamaica Inn experience (Pirates! Ar!)
From Launceston take the old A30 (down the hill and past the rugby club) to Sourton Cross above Okehampton: also undulating but with less traffic, although there are narrower shoulders than on the 'new' A30 should you need to get out of the way of anything.
From Sourton Cross find, then take, the cycle path down in to the centre of Okehampton (TR at the main Tavistock road, then L after a hundred or so metres).
Marion's café is best (tucked away slightly, so best ask).

Happy days,
honesty

Post by honesty »

My preference would be to take to Camel Trail from Bodmin, follow the sustrans route up to Davidstow airfield, then follow the road all the way in to Launceston, then as suggested old road to Sourton and on to the Granite Way by the Church of St Thomas a Becket.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Grief! :shock:

If you actually want to cycle the A30 Bodmin to Okehampton, my advice still stands. Good road, and ok to do.
Bodmin to Okehampton NOT on the A30 is a different subject entirely and advice is not to go via Bodmin.

The Old A30 from Launceston to Sourton is much better than the A30.
Turn left at the T junction under the A30 and follow the A386 for a mile or so, and turn right down a little lane signposted Meldon. Down the hill, bend to the left, then rejoin the Old A30 into Okehampton town.

Granite Way is a complete waste of time for anyone doing an End2End as it's out of your way.
Do it the way I suggest via the lane signposted Meldon (above).

PS:
Believe me.
I know what I'm talking about.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PPS:

Sorry for being grumpy. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
honesty

Post by honesty »

Mick F wrote:Grief! :shock:

If you actually want to cycle the A30 Bodmin to Okehampton, my advice still stands. Good road, and ok to do.
Bodmin to Okehampton NOT on the A30 is a different subject entirely and advice is not to go via Bodmin.

Turn left at the T junction under the A30 and follow the A386 for a mile or so, and turn right down a little lane signposted Meldon. Down the hill, bend to the left, then rejoin the Old A30 into Okehampton town.

Granite Way is a complete waste of time for anyone doing an End2End as it's out of your way.

PS:
Believe me.

We've had this conversation before I think ;)

I completely disagree about the Granite Way being a waste of time. It'll cost you about 5 minutes difference to do and you get to see some interesting sites (Church of St Thomas a Becket and the Meldon Viaduct, as well as the tea room at Meldon on the train carriage and at Okehampton station). Surely half the point of touring is to see things as well as getting places...
whoof

Post by whoof »

honesty wrote:
Mick F wrote:Grief! :shock:

PS:
Believe me.

We've had this conversation before I think ;)

I completely disagree about the Granite Way being a waste of time. It'll cost you about 5 minutes difference to do and you get to see some interesting sites (Church of St Thomas a Becket and the Meldon Viaduct, as well as the tea room at Meldon on the train carriage and at Okehampton station). Surely half the point of touring is to see things as well as getting places...

I've done numerous ways and quite like the Granite way section from Sourton to Okehampton even if riding 'long', my last trip this way was 165 miles Taunton to West Cornwall with loaded tourer and still used it.
The only way I would advise against using is the one below. Heading West you climb out of Okehampton turn left onto a bridleway and have a steep descent under the A30. This is followed by an equally steep and badly surfaced climb back up to the NCN 27 path. Either go on the road or the 27 not this combination.

oke.jpg
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Meldon train carriage?
Been there once, and tried many times as well.
It's closed whenever I've been past there in recent years.

The Granite way can be accessed near Sourton on the A386 turning right as you exit the Old A30. Hundred yards or so on your left.
Go that way if you want. The problem with the Granite Way - as well as taking too long - is that after Meldon it goes in and out, under the A30, through gates, through mud, and you exit above Okehampton.
This is my account on Cycle Seven. Have a read. The missing part of the Granite Way is now in place, so you can go all the way through these days.
http://cycleseven.org/the-granite-way

Instead of Granite Way, turn left as you come out at Sourton from the Old A30, go under the A30 on the A386, and you have a Burger King (ex Little Chef) on your left, and toilets and often a burger van in the carpark opposite.
Go straight on past the A30 Exeter turn, and first right signposted Meldon. Down there and join the OldA30 into Okehampton town.
Simple, easy, clean, fast and mainly down hill.

Back to the OP:
The A30 from Bodmin to Okehampton is a good road and if you want the fastest route, that's your boy!
Mick F. Cornwall