Use the Deloitte Ride Across Britain 2019 route?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
paulbarfoot

Use the Deloitte Ride Across Britain 2019 route?

Post by paulbarfoot »

Hi all, there seems to be a wealth of information on here and people with lots of experience doing LeJoG so thought I would try to tap in to it if that's OK.

Due to recent personal issues i've decided to LeJoG, not just for myself but for charity too. I set off on June 16th 2019 (solo) and am planning to use the route that Deloitte Ride Across Britain are using for 2019. Is this sensible and a good route to use?

https://www.rideacrossbritain.com/2019- ... -platform/
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29449448?beta=false
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29449456?beta=false
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29449461?beta=false
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29449465?beta=false
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29623804
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29222267
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29449491?beta=false
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29449496?beta=false
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29449501?beta=false-

My reasoning is, I haven't a clue! I know where are lots of different routes and everyone has there own opinion - but my thought is Deloitte must have put a decent amount of effort in already to check they use a good and safe route, and it is already loaded on to RidewithGPS which I plan to use for navigation.

Any advice on this gratefully received. I may not follow the distances each day to the letter as I will have luggage and no support team, but have done a trial 100 miles down and around the Cotsworld's and 100 miles back home the next day and that seemed fine, i've just bought what I hope to be a more comfortable saddle (Brooks B17) as recommended by Jonathan Schubert who I had the pleasure of meeting on my ride.

I look forward to hearing your comments :)
Paulatic

Re: Use the Deloitte Ride Across Britain 2019 route?

Post by Paulatic »

Bear in mind you might need to change the end/start location from the route. They have chosen them to accommodate their numerous needs.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

DAY 1
Seems ok, but not my choice. WAY too hilly.
Also, very poor route through Launceston town centre. Why?

DAY 2
Missed out Rob's Passage and goes over the Cadbury Hills.

Generally, they've chosen a hilly route, so I wonder why they don't want to go over Dartmoor.
Mick F. Cornwall
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Mick F wrote:DAY 1
Seems ok, but not my choice. WAY too hilly.
Also, very poor route through Launceston town centre. Why?

DAY 2
Missed out Rob's Passage and goes over the Cadbury Hills.

Logistics.
The route is designed to move 700 people , of varying ability, across roughly 110 miles per day of interesting, scenic terrain. Each day has got 2 feedstations - and with that amount of people, it needs to be set up somewhere that can accommodate everyone so usually a village hall, leisure centre etc. That means the route needs to factor that in. On your own, you might not choose to go that way but a group of 700, requiring a large car park for the vehicles, gazebos etc will need that. Riders leave bascamp across a roughly 1hr window from about 6.45am to 7.45am so the roads need to be able to cope with that; over the course of the day the group will stretch to cover maybe 4hrs or so of riding time. Some people will be in the next basecamp by 2.30pm, the tailenders normally arrive about 6pm so there's feedstation opening / closing times to consider as well as the transfer of support staff along the route.

Hills are good. Partly because they're challenging and the ride is designed to be at least a reasonable challenge; partly because it breaks the group up nicely so you don't end up with 100 riders in a massive peloton that never splits up. And partly because it's a bit more scenic and interesting and the riders are (mostly) on decent quality road bikes with no luggage so it's a bit more feasible than if you were on a fully laden tourer. There's an element too where they're trying to remove the "smashy-smashy" nature of some of the faster riders who want to go at it like a bull in a china shop and having some hills in there generally quietens things down a bit!

Rob's Passage (last I recall of it anyway) had some bits that really weren't suitable for road bikes. This is a road ride, people are not expecting gravel routes or bits where they have to carry the bike and they certainly woudn't welcome it!

Generally, they've chosen a hilly route, so I wonder why they don't want to go over Dartmoor.

Because the ride ends Day 1 / starts Day 2 in Okehampton because it's the only place anywhere nearby that has a massive flat field for the tents. Okehampton is on the central northern edge of Dartmoor so there's no point at all in going over Dartmoor. Day 1 is already pretty tough, the second feed station is at Doublebois, 71 miles in, so the logical route to Okehampton from there (bearing in mind my previous comments about logistics) is to go up through Launceston. There are of course other options if you want more scenic, quieter, faster, longer, hillier but to get 700 people across that distance within a roughly 12hr window, that's the best option. You could go more east and through Callington but then you end up on the A390 which is awful.

I admit there are parts of that route that I wouldn't ride if I was doing the ride on my own, if I had luggage or if I wanted to visit some of the sights along the way but one of the downsides of doing an organised ride is that you're at the whim of someone else's route planning. That said, it is done very well with great care taken over the type of roads, the composition of the overall group, the numbers, the overall event logistics (like the locations of the feedstations and basecamps) and the general event experience.

The files are there for you to follow to the letter or to use as inspiration to create your own route. It's as good a starting point as any but then each rider or group might want to add in their own specific requirements - staying at a friend's en route, visiting a particular town or landmark, tweaking it to a faster or flatter or more off-road route accordingly.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok.
Nice full-some reply! :D

I don't agree about Rob's Passage and road bikes though.
(Other than the Raleigh Chopper) I've only been through on a road bike, plus over the years gone through with dozens of others on road bikes too.

Also, 700 riders going through the tiny little town centre of Launceston though one or two very difficult busy junctions is silly.

This is a better, easier and safer route even for one single rider.
Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 07.00.54.png
Mick F. Cornwall
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

With respect to your obvious extensive knowledge of Cornish roads @MickF, I disagree on this occasion. If you go via Link Road it takes you through the industrial area at the SE corner of Launceston (really rather grim looking) and then up past a Lidl and a Tesco Superstore which, on a Saturday afternoon (the time the ride passes through there) is rammed with Saturday shoppers all driving as only Saturday shoppers can.

The town centre is much calmer, it has a nice little castle in it (scenery is important!) and actually, it's a opportunity for a last refuel - bear in mind that the majority of riders are in at the very outer edge of their comfort zone, many have probably only ridden that sort of distance/climbing once or twice in their lives before now and the chance to stop and get a coffee or a bag of jelly babies or something is often worth the slightly slower pace through a town but with the extra facilites and "safety net" that the town provides. And by the time the riders get to Launceston, it's really only small groups - little different to a club run.

As I said, the route is chosen for very specific reasons and it is ridden and driven beforehand with full risk assessments. In the "exploration" phase of the route planning (it often gets minor tweaks every year based on feedback, previous incidents, known roadworks etc), there'll be people on Google Streetview and using cycle mapping tools to examine options; those options will be ridden and/or driven at the time that the ride will be passing through it (ie on a Saturday for Day 1), videos and Strava files compared and the overall "best" route chosen. What's best for the RAB will not necessarily be best for a lone rider, a small group, a fully laden touring bike, someone aiming to break the LEJOG record or someone who wants to stop at a scenic B&B/pub in the middle of Dartmoor at the end of Day 1.

Sometimes it's good to put in a bit of flat wide road - coming out of a 20 mile network of narrow hilly lanes requiring full concentration and with limited opportunities to eat and drink on the move, it's sometimes nice to get into a little group on a wide flat road and just recover for a while (which is why they use a section of A6 between Carnforth and Milnthorpe, there's a far more scenic road just west of and parallel to the A6 but it's hilly and narrow).
Sometimes, it's nice to put in a "landmark" hill so people can tick it off (Cheddar Gorge being a good example - you could easily just turn off to Wells and up to Midsomer Norton skirting the southern edge of the Mendips to get to Bath; putting in CG is actually an extension to the day but it's an amazing bit of road!).
And sometimes it's nice to pop through a town centre where there are shops, cafes etc that a rider (or member of the support crew!) could take advantage of. And sometimes you're kind of restricted in the roads that you can use becasue you HAVE to site a feedstation at Point X (becasue it's the only feasible point for it) which means you have to use Road Y.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The town centre junction is horrible.
You cross a busy road on a blind bend and have to stop half-way and there's hardly enough room for a car, let alone a group of cyclists. Dangerous.
I've done it a few times, but only usually visiting the town centre - shops/bank etc.
You can't see the castle from there, and even if you could grab a quick look at (only) the gateway, you'll be more interested in getting across the road.
In the town centre, the traffic is often at a standstill and blocking progress even for bikes. A large group would have issues for the town and for themselves.

The link road, is straight, clear and gently uphill. Bend to the left at the end and through traffic lights, over the A30, over a mini roundabout straight on, and off and away. At each point, you are in control, and at no point can you not see what's coming, and at no point are you in any danger, even in a large group.

The town centre junction is horrible.
Believe me, I live round here, and have done for 35years.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.63601 ... 312!8i6656

If you need a stop for re-fueling the bellies, the best, simplest, easiest place is Tesco. The town centre is clogged with traffic just about every shopping day.
Mick F. Cornwall
paulbarfoot

Post by paulbarfoot »

I really appreciate all of the comments and time taken to help me. As I'm doing it on my own and haven't the experience to plan the whole journey though to Scotland I was hoping using the Deloitte route may have been a short cut to planning the whole route myself. I'm not booking accommodation along the way, I've got a small 1 man tent I'm taking as a backup but plan to use booking.com and head to the destination that takes my fancy that day. As I mentioned I'm doing this for charity, but mainly for myself due to a sad change of circumstances in my life, and I'm hoping to do it like a road trip where I'm not under pressure to achieve a certain distance or place each day, and to stay and extra day somewhere if I want to. Is there a tried and test route, of around 1000 miles that I can use that is published somewhere? Or shall I just run with the Deloitte one and modify my routes as I go using Google maps? BTW it's a Trek Checkpoint SL5 gravel bike that I'm using and it will be ladden to around 25kg including the bike...
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Given the fact that you've only got 2 weeks before you set off I'd be a big fan of keeping things simple and using the Deloitte route rather than trying to research the countless dozens of options and opinions you'll find out there. It isn't perfect but then I don't think the "perfect" route exists; there'll always be someone who thinks you should have gone on this road or avoided that hill...

You could probably adjust the settings in your computer to re-route you onto some more gravel tracks if you've got a bit of time going spare - there's some great canal towpath options up around Lancaster, a few quieter routes through the horrible Wigan / Manchester corridor but ultimately, simple is good.

Good luck with your ride.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Days One, Two and Three are ok but a bit convoluted for me.
There's a few short cuts I'd take.

Day One, the route from the Hayle area could be through Connor Downs and Roseworthy on the Old A30 into Camborne rather than through Gwinear and Carnhell Green etc.
(I was cycling through Gwinear only yesterday. :D )

Day Two, I'd go up the B3266 to Camelford. Shops, pubs, cafe, chippy. Then back to your route.

I wouldn't have gone via Hatherleigh though, even though it's a wonderful friendly town. I'd have kept further south via Launceston and the Old A30 for Okehampton and head for Taunton. Loads of backroads if you want mainly like the Day Three.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I think this is a bit off course. http://goo.gl/maps/15eSe :D

E2E info
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Day 11. If you are overnighting in Penrith I thoroughly recommend the Wayfarers Hostel.
Unless you really want to go through Carlisle ( bike shops/repair ) then don’t. It can take an age going through there with traffic and traffic lights. After Dalston turn left along Peter Lane then join the cycleway beside the relief road (A689) Lovely smooth tarmac right round to the Cargo turn off.
Also in Gretna you can just go directly to Gretna Green and pick up the B7076. Only saves a mile though so almost irrelevant.

E2E info
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Day 10 is a bit convoluted and Lancaster Canal is quite slow if picturesque due to a poor decaying surface, low bridges and dog walkers. I'd probably use Kellet Lane to Nether Kellet as an alternative then drop down into Carnforth -hillier than the canal but not bad. Many Lejogers favour the A6 from Lancaster which is probably OK in this section but not my preference.

Your route from Carnforth is nice and one that I have ridden many times with scenery and hills. An alternative is the A6, or to keep east of the M6 via Over Kellet, then A6070 to Burton in Kendal, then across to Holme and on to Milnthorpe.

NCN 6 into Kendal is a bit lumpy through the drumlin field. Avoid the A590/A591 and you'll be fine!
paulbarfoot

Post by paulbarfoot »

Haha yes defo a bit off route, but it may be a lovely scenic route, who knows, unless my next adventure is around the world, then I may check it out lol..

Yes it should read http://goo.gl/maps/l5eSe

Really good advice thanks again... so i'm getting the feeling its a better route than Deloitte? i'll probably use this one instead then and use your comments to adjust accordingly I think...