Solo 6 day LEJOG route

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
MarcuHaugh

Solo 6 day LEJOG route

Post by MarcuHaugh »

Hello
I am planning to do LEJOG in 6 days this summer, possibly next month and I just wanted some advice on the route. I am reasonably confident I should be able to complete it, I have had a coach for the last few months and am able to do 100 miles with the 5000ft of elevation in just under 5 hours (I try and do this every couple of weeks).
I have planned a route on Strava using people's suggestions from this forum but I just wanted to see what experienced LEJOGers or people who know the route think. The route can be found here https://strava.app.link/6HOY2bnBiX
As I'm doing it in 6 days I need the fastest route possible to make it achievable.
Look forward to your comments.
Thanks
Marcus
Paulatic

Re: Solo 6 day LEJOG route

Post by Paulatic »

You’re route is 4 mls longer than the LEJOG record route. So basically you’re taking the shortest route possible on roads many of us would not enjoy riding.
There’s no rhyme or reason to some of your choices. eg You’re brave enough to cycle the A30 yet when you get to Carlisle you take the lanes way to Gretna.
You get to Abington and instead of taking the usual trod from there you take the A720 to Edinburgh. If you want Edinburgh why not A701? Quieter A road than the 720.
RE training that’s an impressive time for 100mls but I would be looking for hillier rides than that as preparation.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
MarcuHaugh

Post by MarcuHaugh »

Thanks for your reply.
The reason I posted was so I could get advice from experienced riders and adjust my route accordingly. I planned Edinburgh into my route as I have friends there so was going to stay a night there. The A701 to Edinburgh sounds a better idea, I'll adjust my route.
Is the A30 really that bad?
Thanks for your comments.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

MarcuHaugh wrote:Is the A30 really that bad? Thanks for your comments.

Yes, but it depends on what you mean.

The A30 is brilliant as it's the best, quickest, smoothest, easiest way out of Cornwall and Devon.

Take the A30 from LE all the way to Chiverton Cross (Three Burrows) where the junction goes off to Newquay A3075 and Truro A390 and then it becomes single carriageway 15miles to Carland Cross where it peels off south to Truro A39 and then it's where it becomes dual carriageway again and heads all the way to Exeter and the M5.

The single bit is hilly and narrow and clogged solid with traffic at times, so it's the "not nicest" bit of the A30, but you have to grin and bear it and do it.

The best way to do a fast LEJOG without a doubt .............. despite the Chiverton/Carland section.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Chi ... -5.1634597
Mick F. Cornwall
MarcuHaugh

Post by MarcuHaugh »

Thanks for your reply Mick F.
Yes OK just checked that section out on Google maps, I suppose it would be best not to ride that section at rush hour if possible.
What do you think of the rest of the route? Is there any changes you would make.
I was thinking of splitting it up like this.
Day 1 - Land's End to Taunton - 149 miles, 9397ft
Day 2 - Taunton to Whitchurch - 174 miles, 8117ft
Day 3 - Whitchurch to Penrith - 134 miles, 6471ft
Day 4 - Penrith to Edinburgh - 127 miles, 6283ft
Day 5 - Edinburgh to Inverness - 144 miles, 6421ft
Day 6 - Inverness to John O'Groates - 119 miles, 6094ft

I will have a support van which will take me to a nearby friends house or a hotel at each stop.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I would do that route, but not too much of the A30.
For my own part, I would take twice the time as you.

LE
Okehampton
Bridgwater
Ledbury
Whitchurch
Lancaster
Carlisle
Edinburgh
Pitlochry
Inverness
Brora or Helmsdale
JOG.

Perth to Inverness can be done with not too much on the A9.
I would pick and choose as the downhills come. The road is excellent and fast downhill, especially down to Inverness.
Mick F. Cornwall
MarcuHaugh

Post by MarcuHaugh »

OK thanks for your advice.
Yes I would prefer to take longer over it and take a nicer route but 6 days is really as long as I can spare with the commitments I have, but it's something I really want to do.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Suggestions for route around the taunton area.

At Willand go Ufculme, Culmstock, Nicholashayne. The route you’ve got is a nasty little lane.

Go through wellington not round it.

A38 wellington to Taunton is not the nicest route. Consider wellington, Bradford on Tone, Hele and into the back of Bishops Hull.

At the top of Silk Mills road in Taunton you are riding across fields. There’s is no road there. Above Kingston st Mary to Broomfield you are riding across fields. There is no road there. If you are looking for the fasted route stick to the A38 to Bridgwater. If you don’t want to stick on the A road I can give other suggestions.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

You're turning off the A449 at Ombersley, heading to Bewdley and then up to Trimley, that's a massive climb! Then your going to Arley and Hampton Loade along the river? Well the big news is there is no road there, it's a path and the field after the intake building at the SSW water treatment works is normally full of cows!
Stay on the A449 to Kidderminster then head to Wolverhampton, past the wolves ground then up to Stafford. That's the way Mr Broadwith went as I saw him at Penn island.
MarcuHaugh

Post by MarcuHaugh »

Thanks very much for your replies.
I've ended up basically copying Michael Broadwidths route. The only thing I'm not too keen on is he goes through a lot of city centres, which in my experience are frustrating and make you lose a lot of time. But I suppose it must be the fastest route if its what he used for the record.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Do you really want to do it in 6 days?

You see relatively little except the A30, A49, A6

You cannot relax as you constantly watching the time.

Your in the bike before breakfast and till after tea.

You don't see any of the places you stay in.

Your bum is constantly sore.....

But feel free too!

I'm in middle of 8 days which is like 14 days compared to 6 days!!

Also record attempts do through city centres at funny hours so might well be quicker.

Cheers James
Herts Audax

Post by Herts Audax »

MarcuHaugh wrote:Thanks very much for your replies.
I've ended up basically copying Michael Broadwidths route. The only thing I'm not too keen on is he goes through a lot of city centres, which in my experience are frustrating and make you lose a lot of time. But I suppose it must be the fastest route if its what he used for the record.

Clearly not that much time if it's the record route!