Anyone done a LEJOG using cycletravel

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
LollyKat

Re: Anyone done a LEJOG using cycletravel

Post by LollyKat »

You could do this already though as the routes show the mileage, and if you turn on the elevation graph and drag the mouse along the route (or vice versa) you can get an idea of how strenuous it will be.
PH

Post by PH »

LollyKat wrote:You could do this already though as the routes show the mileage, and if you turn on the elevation graph and drag the mouse along the route (or vice versa) you can get an idea of how strenuous it will be.

When I make detailed plans, this is exactly what I do, I've developed a formula that works for me, I start with X which I know to be a comfortable and repeatable day's mileage on the flat (Up to 600m) then reduce that by Y miles per Z meters climbing (Don't blame me for the mixed units, it's what shows on cycletravel!) Obviously I won't always find somewhere to stop bang on the button, but I don't like to go much beyond it. It does show how a longer ride can be an easier one, using this formula, my Eastern JoGLE (Planed well before such online luxuries existed) conforms to this, the extra 100 miles cutting out nearly a days riding.
It doesn't matter what my XYZ is, someone elses if likely to be different, but X is around 70% of the furthest I can ride in a day.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

LollyKat wrote:You could do this already though as the routes show the mileage, and if you turn on the elevation graph and drag the mouse along the route (or vice versa) you can get an idea of how strenuous it will be.

Agreed that I can do it already if I sit down for a significant time with the route on Cycle.Travel.
I could do it even more slowly working with OS maps (paper or online).
The beauty of Cycle.Travel is that it works it all out for you and saves a lot of time and effort.

Given the existing benefits, I'm dreaming of just a little bit more functionality to to even more of the work for me. :D
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Just ask on here and you will have a route in no time.

Getting it onto an app well that's beyond my 4mile to the inch abilities!

Cheers James
PH

Post by PH »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Agreed that I can do it already if I sit down for a significant time with the route on Cycle.Travel.

Your time, your choice, but I really don't understand this.
How many days are you going to spend riding it? I'd say the significant time to plan is no more than an hour per day riding, probably an average of half that, when you get into the Highlands the few options mean it's take a couple of minuets. I like to plan my own routes, cycletravel is a tool to assist with that, if you're looking for a pre planned route doing as Jamesh suggests and riding someone else's route is probably a better option. But IMO a E2E is a big event, making it your own is a part of that.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

PH wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:Agreed that I can do it already if I sit down for a significant time with the route on Cycle.Travel.

Your time, your choice, but I really don't understand this.
How many days are you going to spend riding it? I'd say the significant time to plan is no more than an hour per day riding, probably an average of half that, when you get into the Highlands the few options mean it's take a couple of minuets. I like to plan my own routes, cycletravel is a tool to assist with that, if you're looking for a pre planned route doing as Jamesh suggests and riding someone else's route is probably a better option. But IMO a E2E is a big event, making it your own is a part of that.

My view is that if there is a tool to make it simpler and easier then I see no reason not to use it.

I wonder if I will find someone who wanted to take the same route and same daily distance as me?
I've read through a few and most are a longer distance than I would initially contemplate.
I would also prefer to plan my own route instead of blindly following another, but this of course gets us back to using a Cycle.Travel route as a starting point for a bespoke route.

I wonder if some are less used than me to using technology?
Most of the people I currently ride with tend to use paper maps (sometimes printed off from a web site) instead of using GPS.
However in general I think that is because they either don't have the technical confidence to set it up or just like using maps.

My method so far has been to plan a route on the computer, save it, then create a TCX file to load onto my Garmin Edge Explore.
I then follow that route each day.
For a four day tour I took the Cycle.Travel route for the whole trip and then picked suitable stopping points for each day and re-planned using these as start and end points.
As this was across the Netherlands route profile didn't really feature much.
[I did carry a map and compass as well but had no real need to use either.]

I note that Richard says that he has been thinking along similar lines, and he is a mapping expert.

Bottom line, if I can use it why wouldn't I? If I can see a feature which would make life easier for me, why shouldn't I ask for it?
PH

Post by PH »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Bottom line, if I can use it why wouldn't I? If I can see a feature which would make life easier for me, why shouldn't I ask for it?

No reason at all, as I said your time, your choice. If easier is your goal, then there's lots of things you could do to achieve it.
For me - the more effort I put into planning the more rewarding the tour is likely to be.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

From my point of view, a lot of people do plan multi-day tours with cycle.travel and I'd like to facilitate that, at the least by offering a way to mark overnight stops. (It helps that accommodation bookings are the main way that the site running costs are covered!) But I've not yet worked out the most intuitive user interface for it.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:From my point of view, a lot of people do plan multi-day tours with cycle.travel and I'd like to facilitate that, at the least by offering a way to mark overnight stops. (It helps that accommodation bookings are the main way that the site running costs are covered!) But I've not yet worked out the most intuitive user interface for it.

:D Still, you have at least until February 2020 to get it sorted, :D :lol:

Edit: one suggestion - have an "accommodation choice" marker in the LHS turn by turn (picked by distance/effort calculations). Click on that and zoom to the map on the RHS, displaying nearby accommodation. When accommodation selected, that is both end and start point for adjacent ride segments.