Accomodation booked, one last look at route?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
charliepolecat

Re: Accomodation booked, one last look at route?

Post by charliepolecat »

Happisburg in Norfolk = Hazebra
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

charliepolecat wrote:
Hope you have fair winds into the faces of organised tours!

Huh? :?

Your going south so I hope you get the winds behind you, most tours are south to north.

Having just done lejog I just used a cheap cable lock.

I didn't think that a thief would likely nick a fully loaded road bike.

It's isn't worth that much £300?

If it does get nicked then the inconvenience and loss of the good companion would be a pain.

However I would be allowed to buy a supersix, genesis zero, cervelo R2 etc :D :D :D

Cheers James
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Nope, south to north, so hopefully favourable winds. I'm renting a bike for this trip from the tour organiser - Peake - so maybe they will insist on giving me a lock to use. 8)

I should ride a bike that costs no more than 300 quid. Adding up my stable of bikes I come up with about 10,000 pounds when bought new, no idea of the value these days. :shock:

That's it, no more bike purchases! :roll:

Ken.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Mick F wrote:
whoof wrote:BTW Mousehole is pronounce Mow(like cow with an M)zull.
You beat me to it! :D

Loads of name of places are pronounced wrongly by visitors.
St Ives for instance.
It's not Saint Ives, but Sen-ives.

There's a St Ive on the A390 west of here. Strangers call it Saint Ive, whereas it's pronounced Sen-eve.

Snozzle (St Austell)
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

charliepolecat wrote:Nope, south to north, so hopefully favourable winds. I'm renting a bike for this trip from the tour organiser - Peake - so maybe they will insist on giving me a lock to use. 8)

I should ride a bike that costs no more than 300 quid. Adding up my stable of bikes I come up with about 10,000 pounds when bought new, no idea of the value these days. :shock:

That's it, no more bike purchases! :roll:

Ken.

Op was going north to south hence the comment!

If your on a supported tour you can draft!!!

All the best

When are you passing through Preston?

My carbon Cannondale is worth £300 s/h or £1500 RRP.

Cheers James
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

We don't go through Preston, we start the day at Leigh and go north to Blackburn. I'm just getting into the route and from what I can make out they (Peake) take us off every main road and stick us on every byway there is. I'm getting dizzy just looking at the route/cue sheets.

If you hear of a crazy cyclist going along the side of the M6, it'll be me having got fed up with the twists and turns of the Peake route and making my way the shortest way possible up to the next night's stop at Crosthwaite.

Ken.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Day 6 mile 21-22.

Leaving the canal & crossing over it on the shared path is fine. Your current route after the right into Christie Rd takes you down a path which goes over a railway footbridge, which appears (looking on StreetView as I've never been that way) to have LOTS of steps to Kings Rd.

A better, & 100% cyclable, way is to take the first left onto Renton Road / Gorse Ave which brings you to Great Stone St opposite Old Trafford Cricket Ground (this is a dead end for motor vehicles but there is a gap for bikes to get through. I think they've even put a drop kerb in now). Turn right & you will arrive at the same roundabout at Mile 22, just from a different direction.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
plumby

Post by plumby »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies! I'm going to amend my route at the weekend for the final time. I fly up to Aberdeen then get a connect to Wick on the 31st July (not sure how I get from Wick to JoG yet!). Then the trip starts Thursday 1st August.

:D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

plumby wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies! ...........?.not sure how I get from Wick to JoG yet!

Bike?
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote:
plumby wrote:Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your replies! ...........?.not sure how I get from Wick to JoG yet!
Bike?
Leave the town heading north, turn off right at Riess, and head for JOG.
Do your photographs and ceremonies, then ride back to Wick. Less than 20miles each way.
Mick F. Cornwall
plumby

Post by plumby »

Would do Mike but i've got a overnighter in JoG first :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

1994, my first JOGLE, I stayed at Canisbay SYHA, and the following morning cycled the few miles to JOG, then headed south.

My ship was in Scotland and I had a couple of weeks off. We have and had friends nearby and they gave me a lift to Glasgow QS Station.
My bike was packed in a big denim bag that we'd made DIY, and it went with me as luggage, and not a bike. Panniers strapped together was another piece of luggage.

At Wick, I unpacked the bike, connected up the panniers, and strapped the bag on the top of the rear. I called in at the Post Office in Canisbay and posted off the bag back home. I'd taken wrapping paper and sticky tape and a big felt pen. I still have the bag still in its wrapping after all these years!

Me at Canisbay SYHA 1994.
Look! I wore a helmet then. Mrs Mick F insisted on it, though has seen the light these days.
I still have the Mercian Jumper and wear it occasionally.
JOG Hostel.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall